Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Global Posts
    879 Global Posts

Default Re: Very confused about upgrading and unlimited data..

This is good information. I'm glad I stopped by. My house currently has 4 smartphones, all with unlimited data. I plan on adding a 5th line, to transfer the upgrades to, so I can retain my unlimited status. I don't own a dumb phone to put on the 5th line. Is having the dumb phone really necessary? Thanks.

yes, having the dumbphone is necessary. You MUST have a phone on the line and if it is a smartphone, you have to have a dataplan. But if you have a dumbphone, you don't have to have a data plan.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    879 Global Posts

Default Very confused about upgrading and unlimited data..

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeYou View Post
    yes, having the dumbphone is necessary. You MUST have a phone on the line and if it is a smartphone, you have to have a dataplan. But if you have a dumbphone, you don't have to have a data plan.
    Ok. I thought I had read somewhere it could be done without a physical phone. I guess I will check out eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodingi View Post
    Ok. I thought I had read somewhere it could be done without a physical phone. I guess I will check out eBay.
    It may be possible on other carriers but not VZN as far as I know.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkScythe View Post
    No, it will not.
    This was exactly the point that caused me so much confusion. So many people are still saying that the line you take the upgrade from will lose unlimited.
    However, I have proved that this is not the case. I transferred my own upgrade, from my unlimited line, over to my mother's line, got the DNA on her line, activated it, then reactivated her old phone, swapped the DNA onto my line in place of my DINC, and I still have unlimited on my line having used my own upgrade.

Attachment 53776
    You transferred the equipment AFTER the upgrade was processed. That is not the same thing as transfering the update to another line. You found a loophole in the system but there are reports that corporate is telling reps to watch out for that. We shall see how long you are able to do that

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

I called VZN and was told transferring my upgrade to another line would not result in me losing unlimited.
    The line getting the equipment will not loose unlimited but the one you stole the upgrade from will since you are actually signing a contract extension on that line.

Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Quote Originally Posted by YourMobileGuru View Post
    You transferred the equipment AFTER the upgrade was processed. That is not the same thing as transfering the update to another line. You found a loophole in the system but there are reports that corporate is telling reps to watch out for that. We shall see how long you are able to do that
    I am not following you. This is the way I understand it from speaking with a VZN rep. I have 2 unlimited data lines on the same family plan. I can add a line to that family plan without losing unlimited data on my other 2 lines. The new plan cannot get unlimited data, but it can get 2GB of data for $30. So the cost for the new line is $40 + taxes if I have a smartphone on it but only $10 + taxes if I have a dumb phone on it.

I was told by the VZN rep that I can transfer my upgrades from the unlimited data lines to the new line, get a subsidized phone on the new line, activate the subsidized phone on that new line and then transfer the new subsidized phone to my unlimited data lines withOUT losing unlimited data on the line.

Are you saying the VZN rep was wrong about this?

The line getting the equipment will not loose unlimited but the one you stole the upgrade from will since you are actually signing a contract extension on that line.
    First, VZN doesn't use the word "stole" when you ask about this. They use the word "transfer."

Second, what you are saying is the opposite of what the VZN rep told me and the opposite of what the posters here are showing proof that they did.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

As I understand it, he is stating the "official" policy, or what's intended to happen.
    However, the steps we've outlined currently are exploiting a loophole with their rules, hence why the VZW staff that handled it for me pulled me aside and spoke to me quietly about it.

Until they fix it though, this is a valid way of keeping unlimited, and a must for me, as I have no idea how my 4G usage will be compared to my 3G usage.
    Thanked by:
    WannaBeYou likes this.

As I understand it, he is stating the "official" policy, or what's intended to happen.
    However, the steps we've outlined currently are exploiting a loophole with their rules, hence why the VZW staff that handled it for me pulled me aside and spoke to me quietly about it.

Until they fix it though, this is a valid way of keeping unlimited, and a must for me, as I have no idea how my 4G usage will be compared to my 3G usage.
    Thank you!

What happens to the upgrade status of the "middleman" phone (your mom's phone) after you transfer the upgrade to the middleman line and then transfer the phone back to the unlimited line? Does the middleman line upgrade get reset to 20 months from the date of the use of the transferred upgrade?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

It stays on its own upgrade schedule, because her own contract was not touched. Upon transferring the upgrade, my own line's contract was renewed without change to its terms for 2 years, and it now shows the upgrade dates of both lines that we used (my Line #1 and Line #2) as 2 years from now (minus a few months.) Her own Line #4 upgrade date stayed at early 2014 because she upgraded about 7 months ago using her own upgrade.
    Thanked by:
    WannaBeYou likes this.

This is awesome news! I hope this loophole stays open through August when I am due for an upgrade. Please let us know if anything changes on your account!
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

That's corect. The rep pulled you aside because he didn't want his manager to hear what he wad telling you because he was likely (there have been reports elsewhere of an email being sent out ) told NOT to do what he was telling you. He wanted his commission so he could meet his quita.

That's corect. The rep pulled you aside because he didn't want his manager to hear what he wad telling you because he was likely (there have been reports elsewhere of an email being sent out ) told NOT to do what he was telling you. He wanted his commission so he could meet his quita.
    This can be done entirely online. No need to involve a VZW rep.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

This can be done entirely online. No need to involve a VZW rep.
    I tried adding a line through Activate or Switch Device online and got an error message that I could not activate this device on my account via My Verizon. I didn't get an option to even select a phone.

I tried going to Add a New Device and was able to select a (free) dumb phone then it allowed me to customize my plan. I chose no data plan being as though it was a phone that did not require data. It would not let me proceed. I went back and noticed it also bumped unlimited text messaging off both of my existing lines.

Perhaps im missing something but could you please elaborate on how to do this online? I wouldnt mind taking advantage of the current Radio Shack deal and pay $99 for an S3 w/ a $30 credit towards the Google Play store but im worried about running into a similar situation the OP ran into at the non-corporate store.

Thank you darkscythe for explaining your situation and resolution as the process played out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMutha View Post
    I tried adding a line through Activate or Switch Device online and got an error message that I could not activate this device on my account via My Verizon. I didn't get an option to even select a phone.
    I just did this and it worked to keep unlimited although I didn't finalize the checkout. Log into your account and go to SHOP->Phones and Devices->Smartphones. Then select the device you want and go through the process to add a line with a dataplan.

When I did this, it did not kick my other lines off of unlimited.

I wouldnt mind taking advantage of the current Radio Shack deal and pay $99 for an S3 w/ a $30 credit towards the Google Play store but im worried about running into a similar situation the OP ran into at the non-corporate store.
    Are you planning on dropping the data plan on the line you add through Radio Shack before 181 days? Because if so, I think there would be an additional fee charged by Radio Shack that would wipe out the subsidy. This is why it has to be done through VZW if you want to drop the data plan on the new line right away - VZW doesn't charge a fee for that.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

Check your PM's wannabe.

I would be seeking the cheapest option for adding a new line as I don't have a use for it other then trying to keep my unlimited. It isn't worth worrying about cancellation fees from VZW and another store. I'll just pay the $199 for the new phone. I know that I'm going to use more data then I've been using (currently, under 2gb/mo) and do not want to lose the unlimited. IMO, paying $500 or $600 for a new phone does not make sense. It may suit others.

Check your PM's wannabe.
    I responded.

I would be seeking the cheapest option for adding a new line as I don't have a use for it other then trying to keep my unlimited. It isn't worth worrying about cancellation fees from VZW and another store. I'll just pay the $199 for the new phone. I know that I'm going to use more data then I've been using (currently, under 2gb/mo) and do not want to lose the unlimited. IMO, paying $500 or $600 for a new phone does not make sense. It may suit others.
    The new line will pay for itself if you have 2 unlimited data lines that you can transfer their upgrades to the new line and use one of the transferred upgrades to buy an iPhone 5 and sell it on swappa.com. Here is how it works:

Get your GSIII by adding a line through VZW. That is $200 + the cost of the new line ($10/mo + taxes/surcharges = $15/mo where I am = $300 for 20 months) + $35 activation fee + tax on the phone. I don't know how much tax is on the phone where you live, but worst case scenario is CA where they charge the tax on the full retail value of the phone. Just to make this a round number, let's say that is $45. So price for the phone for 20 months (time until the next upgrade is available on the new line) is $200 + $300 + $35 +45 = $580.

Of course you have to activate a basic phone on the new line to get rid of the data plan for the price to be only $300 for 20 months.

Then when your upgrade comes up on your unlimited data line, you transfer it to the basic line and get a 16GB iPhone 5 for $200 + tax = about $250. Then activate the iPhone 5 on the basic line then activate a basic phone to remove the data plan, sell the iPhone 5 on swappa.com for $600 (which is what they are selling for now, but it may go down in the future) - minus the $10 swappa.com fee and $10 insured shipping cost = $580. There may be paypal fees, too, so you need to factor that in but I don't think they are huge fees.

So you end up putting out $580 for the GSIII, then $250 for the iPhone 5 but you can recoup $580 for the iPhone 5 by selling it on swappa.com so in the end, you got your GSIII for $200 + tax, which is the upgrade price, and were able to keep your unlimited data!

Then when your second unlimited data line's upgrade comes due, you transfer it to the basic line repeat the steps above for the iPhone 5 but instead of selling it, your other family member gets a new phone at the upgrade price while keeping unlimited data!

And when the new line's upgrade comes up in 20 months, you can get another iPhone and sell it to recoup the cost of the new line for another 20 months.

Now of course, if in the future VZW closes the loophole so that you lose unlimited data with the transferring of upgrades from an unlimited data line, then this won't work in the future. But for now, it works.
    Thanked by:
    FDLuke 

I wouldnt mind taking advantage of the current Radio Shack deal and pay $99 for an S3 w/ a $30 credit towards the Google Play store but im worried about running into a similar situation the OP ran into at the non-corporate store.
    FYI - you have to pay RS $400 if you cancel the line so the price of the phone would be $500 ($100 + $400) if you cancel the line you added at RS. I think if you cancel within 14 days, no ETF or activation fee from VZW, but you would have to double check that. You would still get charged the $400 from RS, though, which would mean the phone would be $500, which is still cheaper than retail price of $600.

http://radioshackwireless.com/autoco...77d03141429203

Then when your upgrade comes up on your unlimited data line, you transfer it to the basic line and get a 16GB iPhone 5 for $200 + tax = about $250.
    I forgot, there is an upgrade fee, now, too of $30. So you would pay $200 for the iPhone 5 + tax + $30 upgrade fee = about $280 if you are in a place like California that charges tax on the full retail value of the phone.

I just want to be certain....

Currently Have 2 Lines (Line #1 & Line #2) on a Family share plan with upgrades pending with unlimited data, zero dumb phones....

Actions to retain unlimited data??

1) Order new phone line with smart phone.... As Line #3
    2) Activate new phone/line on line #3
    3) Activate legacy dumb phone on line #3
    4) Transfer New phone (from step #2) to Unlimited Line #1

5) Transfer smartphone upgrade from Line #1 to Line #3 and order smart phone on Line #3
    6) Activate new phone/line on line #3
    7) Activate legacy dumb phone on line #3
    8) Transfer New phone (from step #5) to Unlimited Line #2

9) Transfer smartphone upgrade from Line #2 to Line #3 and order smart phone on Line #3
    10) Activate new phone/line on line #3
    11) Activate legacy dumb phone on line #3
    12) Sell Extra Smart Phone??

Quote Originally Posted by lockout20 View Post
    I just want to be certain....

Currently Have 2 Lines (Line #1 & Line #2) on a Family share plan with upgrades pending with unlimited data, zero dumb phones....

Actions to retain unlimited data??

1) Order new phone line with smart phone.... As Line #3
    2) Activate new phone/line on line #3
    3) Activate legacy dumb phone on line #3
    4) Transfer New phone (from step #2) to Unlimited Line #1

5) Transfer smartphone upgrade from Line #1 to Line #3 and order smart phone on Line #3
    6) Activate new phone/line on line #3
    7) Activate legacy dumb phone on line #3
    8) Transfer New phone (from step #5) to Unlimited Line #2

9) Transfer smartphone upgrade from Line #2 to Line #3 and order smart phone on Line #3
    10) Activate new phone/line on line #3
    11) Activate legacy dumb phone on line #3
    12) Sell Extra Smart Phone??
    yes that is my plan. I have already added a line and ordered a new phone for it. Should be here on Thursday. I will post as I complete each step. I won't be able to start step 5 until the end of August since that is when my upgrade comes due and I will in all likelihood be waiting for the GN3 to be released before I do it.

I suggest going with the latest iPhone as the phone to sell since those seem to hold their resale value the best.

Hey all, great information in this thread. I have another question that I do not believe has been answered here yet. I have a Verizon account with 2 unlimited lines on it both with upgrades available. I bought a GS3 off ebay for myself but my wife doesnt want to spend that much for a different phone. So I already have a newer phone and we both still have our upgrades available. Is it possible for my wife to transfer her upgrade to someone on a totally different Verizon account? I've done lots of Googling lately about this topic and it almost sounds like this is possible but I have not read an exact answer if it is or not. So she would transfer her upgrade to a friend not on our account, they would use the upgrade and get the new phone my wife wants and activate it. This should cause my wife's contract to be renewed for 2 years while leaving the friends contract unchanged right? Then the friend would activate their original phone back to themselves then my wife is free to activate her new phone on her own line. Thoughts? If not possible then our only option is to open a 3rd line which we would rather not do cause it would sit there unused.

Also, the friend we would transfer my wife's upgrade to is already on a tiered plan so no worries about them losing unlimited data.

Global Posts
    879 Global Posts

Default Very confused about upgrading and unlimited data..

It is not possible. You will have to start a third line to maintain your unlimited data on the other 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Lodingi View Post
    This is good information. I'm glad I stopped by. My house currently has 4 smartphones, all with unlimited data. I plan on adding a 5th line, to transfer the upgrades to, so I can retain my unlimited status. I don't own a dumb phone to put on the 5th line. Is having the dumb phone really necessary? Thanks.
    be careful with this, i was under the impression that if you ADD a new line of service to your family share account you will be forced into the share everything. Double check this before pulling the trigger
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast