Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Default Re: Very confused about upgrading and unlimited data..

Quote Originally Posted by gbororats View Post
    be careful with this, i was under the impression that if you ADD a new line of service to your family share account you will be forced into the share everything. Double check this before pulling the trigger
    No. If you are on a single line and want to move to a family plan you will have to move to shared everything since nationwide family share plans are no longer available. But if you are already on a nationwide family share plan you can still add lines up to the maximum of 5 total. Trying to add a 6th line will force you to shared everything.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  

Yeah, what MobileGuru said is correct about the plans.
    While there's a big push to share everything plans, if you already have something, you should generally be able to keep what you have, unless of course you're making major changes like he outlined.

I don't believe there's any way to transfer upgrades to lines outside of your own family account though - why would this even work? What would this realistically be used for? (Besides abuse, lol.)
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkScythe View Post
    Yeah, what MobileGuru said is correct about the plans.
    While there's a big push to share everything plans, if you already have something, you should generally be able to keep what you have, unless of course you're making major changes like he outlined.

I don't believe there's any way to transfer upgrades to lines outside of your own family account though - why would this even work? What would this realistically be used for? (Besides abuse, lol.)
    You can't even transfer an upgrade to a line in another account or sub account under your own name and social security number so no I don't see how you could.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Max HD using the Android Central Forums app.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

So is it still possible to transfer upgrades? I am back on the family share plan with one unlimited line and one dumbphone.And if I want to add a few phones to the share plan. Can I do that? or do I have to have dumb lines already?
    Last edited by tnmurdock; 03-15-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Just heard that unlimited is going away for good in about 15 months and everyone will be on the 2Gb for $30.00 or a share everything plan. This came from our company adviser who notifies us when our upgrade is due should we want it. We all pay for our own phones and get whatever we want. I really did not figure the unlimited was going to be here to much longer anyway. Good luck with your endeavor though.
    Lone Wolf

Global Posts
    894 Global Posts

For everyone, including those who paid full price for our phones?
    Galaxy S4 with KitKat 4.4.2

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Quote Originally Posted by japetty View Post
    Just heard that unlimited is going away for good in about 15 months and everyone will be on the 2Gb for $30.00 or a share everything plan. This came from our company adviser who notifies us when our upgrade is due should we want it. We all pay for our own phones and get whatever we want. I really did not figure the unlimited was going to be here to much longer anyway. Good luck with your endeavor though.
    Really? You do realize that about 30 percent of people everywhere said you wouldn't be able to keep unlimited data at all. You cannot believe this for the one reason that it changes the terms of your signed contract. By dropping unlimited data grandfather plans it will break a lot of people's contracts meaning anyone could simply walk away from verizon. Which is what will happen.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    Really? You do realize that about 30 percent of people everywhere said you wouldn't be able to keep unlimited data at all. You cannot believe this for the one reason that it changes the terms of your signed contract. By dropping unlimited data grandfather plans it will break a lot of people's contracts meaning anyone could simply walk away from verizon. Which is what will happen.

If you are out of contract you can do that anyway.

Your contract is for a set time period (24 months). At the end of that time you can leave or they can change the terms unilaterally because the contract is no longer in effect. At 24 months after the last day that a person could have signed up for an unlimited Verizon can do whatever they want. That date is about 15 months away so what he told makes sense.

Historically carriers have almost always allowed people to continue on their existing plans (even ones that did not exist anymore) until they themselves changed the plan, changed to a device that required a plan change, or left the provider. But they are NOT required to do so.

It would be a sucky thing to do but Verizon would be well within their rights to notify everyone that is no longer under contract that effective on such and such a date unlimited data no longer exists and those that do nothing will automatically be moved to the 2GB plan at the same price.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Yes, but verizon wants your business even if you aren't willing to get sucked into some stupid 2 gig plan. They still make money off the grandfather plans.

4G LTE Thunderbolt
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    Yes, but verizon wants your business even if you aren't willing to get sucked into some stupid 2 gig plan. They still make money off the grandfather plans.

The number of people they would loose over that would be miniscule. Everyone said that when unlimited went away and Share Everything became the norm that people would lave in droves. Instead the opposite happened, they had record subscribers the last two quarters.

For the vast majority of pep[;e 2GB is fine and if you really want more the 5 and 10GB plans are also available, as are the Mobile Share plans.

Most of the people who would lave over it are the ones Verizon does not want anyway. Read the post in my sig for details about why they made these changes, but the Cliffs Notes version is that 5% of Verizon customers were using 65% of Verizon's data and the new system discourages people to use tens of GB of data and those that do are now forced to pay for the privilege.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YourMobileGuru View Post
    No. If you are on a single line and want to move to a family plan you will have to move to shared everything since nationwide family share plans are no longer available. But if you are already on a nationwide family share plan you can still add lines up to the maximum of 5 total. Trying to add a 6th line will force you to shared everything.

This is not true. The natuonwide plans are still available via customer service or in store.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by MYkooh View Post
    This is not true. The natuonwide plans are still available via customer service or in store.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Please do not confuse people. The individual plans are available if you talk to the right person in customer service or Credit and Activations, but the family plans are completely gone unless you are already on one.

Everyone said that when unlimited went away and Share Everything became the norm that people would lave in droves.
    Where would they go? AT&T no longer offers unlimited data and throttles unlimited data after 2GB anyhow. Sprint doesn't have 4G LTE very many places and neither does T-Mobile.
    I voided my warranty.

It would be a sucky thing to do but Verizon would be well within their rights to notify everyone that is no longer under contract that effective on such and such a date unlimited data no longer exists and those that do nothing will automatically be moved to the 2GB plan at the same price.
    They could do that or raise the price so much that it wouldn't be worth it to keep. But I suspect that there will be so few people with unlimited data plans shortly that they will leave us alone.

Or maybe they will throttle after a certain amount of data like AT&T does.
    I voided my warranty.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by androidluvr2 View Post
    Where would they go? AT&T no longer offers unlimited data and throttles unlimited data after 2GB anyhow. Sprint doesn't have 4G LTE very many places and neither does T-Mobile.
    Exactly. They get mad and have a fit but in the end that's as far as it goes because. The ones that do leave find that the grass is not greener and unlimited isn't really on other carriers

Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

They could do that or raise the price so much that it wouldn't be worth it to keep. But I suspect that there will be so few people with unlimited data plans shortly that they will leave us alone.

Or maybe they will throttle after a certain amount of data like AT&T does.
    That's my theory. They will throttle unlimited at 2 gb.

Once Sprint gets its 4G LTE network up and running, I bet they will, too. This is what happens when you have an oligopoly.
    I voided my warranty.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

AT&T throttles 4G LTE after 5 GB, not 2 GB.

Source: AT&T amends data throttling policy: 5GB for LTE smartphones, 3GB for non-LTE | BGR

Verizon is not allowed to: Block, degrade, or interfere with the ability of end users to download and utilize applications of their choosing on the licensees Block C network, subject to reasonable network management.

Source: Wireless net neutrality so bad, Verizon already agreed to it | Ars Technica

If AT&T is throttling after 5 GB, then throttling after 2 GB is far below "reasonable" network management. Verizon would be violating the net neutrality rules that they agreed to follow if they were to throttle someone after watching 2 gigabytes worth of movies on Netflix.

Exactly. They get mad and have a fit but in the end that's as far as it goes because. The ones that do leave find that the grass is not greener and unlimited isn't really on other carriers
    Really? Let's see how much data some are using on Sprint and T-Mobile:

Sprint:
    Average texts and data per month?
    - "And about 10 gigs of data. Most I've ever capped out on was about 42 gigs"
    - "I have between 10,000 and 20,000 texts a month, and I use about 15 GBs a month data-wise."
    - "100 minutes, 500 texts, and 7-8GB of 4G."
    - "I am at 1350 texts and about 11GB of data."
    How are Sprint customers taking advantage of unlimited data?
    - "I average around 15GB/Month. I do not tether.
    - "I am up to about 13GB and counting Crackle, YouTube, Pandora and Amazon and the beat goes on"
    - "I use wireless tether and i download probably 30GB per month."
    - "Pandora, YouTube, and web surfing, as well as, tethering. I average about 350-400GB a month. Last month saw my highest usage of 611GB Sprint has never said a word to me."
    - "nice..... I just got my most recent bill. 14 gigs of 3g used. 1.1 gig 4g"
    Is sprint really unlimited?
    - "Yeah I hit 18gigs lol. I'm sure that threw up a bright red flag."
    - "I've been using at least 15GB with the EVO 3D due to faster download speeds. This month (12/30) I'm on track to hit 16GB"
    - "I have been using between 7-15 GB of data per month since August 2010. I have never been slowed down or had a letter from sprint."

T-Mobile:
    Has anyone switched to the Unlimited 4G Plan?
    - "Jan 18 - 27: about 17.24 GB used,"
    - "I've read some users claim that they use 20GB/month on the plan and haven't been throttled yet."
    - "On my post paid unlimited I went close 90 gigs streaming NBA and tennis games. Not a peep from T-Mobile."
    Unlimited data screens hots!
    - "Dec 23, 2012 - Jan 15, 2013: about 27.58 GB used"
    - "Dec 23, 2012 - Jan 24, 2013: about 40.84 GB used"
    - "Jan 9 - Feb9: about 19.25 GB used"

Quote Originally Posted by Kerafyrm View Post
    AT&T throttles 4G LTE after 5 GB, not 2 GB.
    That's great for those who already have AT&T unlimited data. But it is still not a reason to leave VZW for AT&T since you can't get unlimited on AT&T anymore.
    I voided my warranty.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

That's great for those who already have AT&T unlimited data. But it is still not a reason to leave VZW for AT&T since you can't get unlimited on AT&T anymore.
    Correct. AT&T is the only carrier out of the four where no one has "unlimited" 4G or 4G LTE.

Correct. AT&T is the only carrier out of the four where no one has "unlimited" 4G or 4G LTE.
    I would consider leaving VZW for Sprint if they get 4G LTE in my area and it is truly unlimited, but the main problem I had with Sprint when I had it was the bad reception indoors. From what I recall back when I looked into it, that was due to the higher frequencies that Sprint used not penetrating buildings as well as lower frequencies.
    I voided my warranty.

Today 3/23 I upgraded using my upgrade on my unlimited data line by following the steps listed in this forum. I DID NOT CALL AHEAD OR GO IN THE STORE. I simply did the transfer upgrade via verizon wireless and I picked a dummy line that was already on my account to move the upgrade to. I bough the a S3 only and did the instore pick up option. It was ready in 30mins. They did not ask question and even gave my a extra sim card be cause i asked (didnt say my intentions). I then called verizon customer service to show that the transfer line still had unlimited and the dummy line i transfered it to now had the s3 and a 2gb data plan. I will drop the data plan later in my 14 once i am a 10000000% sure i made it clear.

I NEVER TOLD A VERIZON REP WHAT I DID OR WHAT HAPPENED WHEN I DID IT. I DONT NEED THEM LOOKING INTO MY ACCOUNT ASKING QUESTIONS.
    androidluvr2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbrother88 View Post
    I then called verizon customer service to show that the transfer line still had unlimited and the dummy line i transfered it to now had the s3 and a 2gb data plan.
    After you transfer the S3 to the unlimited data line, just keep checking through your next billing cycle to make sure you still have unlimited data. If the system switches you off unlimited data, call and get it reinstated right away.
    I voided my warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbrother88 View Post
    I NEVER TOLD A VERIZON REP WHAT I DID OR WHAT HAPPENED WHEN I DID IT. I DONT NEED THEM LOOKING INTO MY ACCOUNT ASKING QUESTIONS.
    That is how I feel! You should do as much of this online as you can.
    I voided my warranty.

And AT&T doesn't allow tethering either from what I have read. You can WiFi tether for free on VZW with unlimited data.
    I voided my warranty.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast