Very confused about upgrading and unlimited data..

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
And AT&T doesn't allow tethering either from what I have read. You can WiFi tether for free on VZW with unlimited data.

Just looking for clarification and not accusing, but I don't think so. It just seems that VZW is much less militant than At&T with enforcing it.

In the interest of full disclosure, I purchased the full version of PdaNet a few months after getting my first smartphone in 2010. I also purchased Klink and Easytether when people began to panic that they may be pulled from the market. I downloaded and tried Foxfi out of curiosity, but barely used it. However, I know that each one of these apps is verboten from a Verizon standpoint, but they just seem to be lax with enforcement.

I've never heard of a concrete example where someone has been threatened or booted for unauthorized tethering on VZW. On AT&T, I've seen many examples where users will have their data plans switched involuntarily, due to unauthorized tethering. So yes, from a practical standpoint, you can tether on VZW for free without being throttled and with less likelihood of incurring any punitive action against you....but you certainly don't have Verizon's blessing and things could change.

Froma personal standpoint, I have a Nexus and just use the native tethering app when I want to tether wirelessly or through USB, but I know I'm also taking a risk and rarely use it. However, if you have a 4G phone with Unlimited data, you can add 4G Mobile Hotspot for $30 per month ($24 after my corporate discount, so if I know I may be tethering a lot, I'll pay my $1.00 for the days I'm going to use it for the privilege of being legal in VZWs eyes.

Technically, if you have an Unlimited plan with VZW, they have the right to charge you for tethering, but if you don't there doesn't seem to be much they will do, hopefully it stays that way.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57485518-94/what-verizons-fcc-tethering-settlement-means-to-you-faq/

Last edited:

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It just seems that VZW is much less militant than At&T with enforcing it.
All I can tell you is that I have unlimited and WiFi tether works fine for free on my GNex. I have never heard of anyone receiving a warning or anything like that on Verizon.

However, I know that each one of these apps is verboten from a Verizon standpoint, but they just seem to be lax with enforcement.
No, what happened is that the FCC fined Verizon for trying to ban those apps. Now Verizon has agreed to not try to stop the apps at least on tiered data plans. If they do, they are in violation of the FCC rules and will be fined again.

However, if you have a 4G phone with Unlimited data, you can add 4G Mobile Hotspot for $30 per month ($24 after my corporate discount, so if I know I may be tethering a lot, I'll pay my $1.00 for the days I'm going to use it for the privilege of being legal in VZWs eyes.
Or you can do it for free. No worries at all if you have a tiered data plan - VZW would get in trouble if they try to stop it again. Unlimited is less clear since the FCC's ruling didn't cover that option, but no one has ever been throttled or warned by VZW and some of these people use ridiculous amounts of data (check out the thread on this forum about how much they use).

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
All I can tell you is that I have unlimited and WiFi tether works fine for free on my GNex. I have never heard of anyone receiving a warning or anything like that on Verizon.

No, what happened is that the FCC fined Verizon for trying to ban those apps. Now Verizon has agreed to not try to stop the apps at least on tiered data plans. If they do, they are in violation of the FCC rules and will be fined again.

Or you can do it for free. No worries at all if you have a tiered data plan - VZW would get in trouble if they try to stop it again. Unlimited is less clear since the FCC's ruling didn't cover that option, but no one has ever been throttled or warned by VZW and some of these people use ridiculous amounts of data (check out the thread on this forum about how much they use).

When I said they were verboten, I was applying it to those, like us that have unlimited data plans, since I've always been told that VZW still has the right to charge unlimited users for the right to tether, since, as you said, they FCC ruling didn't cover those with unlimited plans. I should've been more clear.

Still, the FCC ruling is beneficial for the person that was previously paying $50 got a 4 GB tiered plan that included tethering and can now legally use that same $50 to purchase a 5 GB tiered plan that didn't previously include tethering.

Of course, for those on Share Everything, it makes no difference since tethering is included.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
When I said they were verboten, I was applying it to those, like us that have unlimited data plans, since I've always been told that VZW still has the right to charge unlimited users for the right to tether, since, as you said, they FCC ruling didn't cover those with unlimited plans.
That is probably right because AT&T dings people on unlimited who tether so my guess is that since the FCC hasn't stopped AT&T, they wouldn't stop VZW if they did it.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Throttling is not done at a set amount. Its based on a percentage. If you are in the top 5% of data use you will get the throttle. That can obviously be a different threshold every month. Most months it will happen at about 20gbs. True fact.

Edit: I'm talking about Verizon, don't know how other carriers do it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Damn....my 17 GB last month just missed it. :)

I know at one point, Verizon was excluding 4g devices from being throttled/optimized, but that may have changed.

Still, at least when you fall within the top 5% and are throttled, it only lasts while the tower you're on is congested or until you move to another tower that isn't.

For the other carriers, once you are throttled, it lasts until the next billing cycle.

Honestly, Verizon has the best Unlimited data plan available, of the big 4, if you are one of the lucky ones to already have it.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I know at one point, Verizon was excluding 4g devices from being throttled/optimized, but that may have changed.
I think that is still true because you would have heard otherwise on these boards if it weren't true given the large amounts of data some of these people consume.

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Still, at least when you fall within the top 5% and are throttled, it only lasts while the tower you're on is congested or until you move to another tower that isn't.

No....it's not that....if you fall into the top 5% then you get throttled for as long as you remain a top 5% user. You could fall off the pace and speed back up.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Throttling is not done at a set amount. Its based on a percentage. If you are in the top 5% of data use you will get the throttle. That can obviously be a different threshold every month. Most months it will happen at about 20gbs. True fact.Edit: I'm talking about Verizon, don't know how other carriers do it. Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
For the 733,000th time, VERIZON DOES NOT THROTTLE 4GLTE. They have said it, its been beaten to death. I frequently use over 100 gb per month. I would knowOthers have used around 800 and never throttled once.3G does get throttled.

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
For the 733,000th time, VERIZON DOES NOT THROTTLE 4GLTE. They have said it, its been beaten to death. I frequently use over 100 gb per month. I would knowOthers have used around 800 and never throttled once.3G does get throttled.

Never said LTE, but thanks anyway.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I am still not entirely clear on this. So is this the policy?:

1) If your device is a 4G LTE device, it doesn't matter how much data you use or whether or not you use it on their 3G network or their 4G LTE network, Verizon will not throttle you; but

2) If your device is a 3G only device, you will be throttled if you are in the top 5% of 3G data users.

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I am still not entirely clear on this. So is this the policy?:

1) If your device is a 4G LTE device, it doesn't matter how much data you use or whether or not you use it on their 3G network or their 4G LTE network, Verizon will not throttle you; but

2) If your device is a 3G only device, you will be throttled if you are in the top 5% of 3G data users.

Yes, and yes. Add to that the busy tower scenario. I earlier said that wasn't the case, but if you in the top 5%, AND on a congested tower, you'll get slowed down. I misunderstood when I read it the first time.

If you ask someone in a store to look up the policy, and they know what they're doing, they will be able to tell you the same thing.

Kerafyrm

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
You still made it seem like Verizon throttles everything.

A certain someone I know uses 90+ GB month and has been doing so for the last year, and at no point do they ever get noticeably throttled.

The Verizon forums here have people posting that they've used 300-600 GB a month as well.

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
You still made it seem like Verizon throttles everything.

A certain someone I know uses 90+ GB month and has been doing so for the last year, and at no point do they ever get noticeably throttled.

The Verizon forums here have people posting that they've used 300-600 GB a month as well.

Yeah, I got that too when I reread my post. My bad.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
under law, 4G can not be reduced/throttled. This was part of deal to release frequency. 3G can be

For verizon, maybe. They had to follow certain rules. Hence why they have factory unlocked phones

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Kerafyrm

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Why did Verizon get different terms for their license of the spectrum?

Because they purchased such a large block of 700 Mhz spectrum from the FCC in 2008 that it would be anti-competitive to have complete control over it.

"Verizon Wireless offers customers its 4G LTE service on C Block spectrum. Verizon Wireless bid at auction to acquire that spectrum, understanding that it was accompanied by open device and application obligations. Specifically, licensees offering service on C Block spectrum 'shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee?s C Block network, subject to narrow exceptions."

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
... subject to narrow exceptions."[/I]

Not sure exactly what you are quoting but I think you seem to be glossing over this last part. If a person's usage is to the extend that it is hindering the network or the ability of others to use the network they can and will throttle or suspend you.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I had unlimited internet 8 years. It was separate. 3g. I decided two years ago to switch. I didn't use a lot. I like the share everything plan. Ends up saving me money. I do have a corporation discount

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

I do too. The vast majority of my customers do save money, but it's the power users in these and other forums who end up paying more because they use way more data than the average user.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad