Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By socialcarpet
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What phone do you have? Love it/hate it?

Just wanted to know what phone you have, and what you like/dislike about it--I'm finally catching up with the rest of my generation and getting a smartphone. It doesn't really seem like Verizon carries that many options, so any advice would be appreciated.

I'm mainly looking for a solid camera and decent battery life; I don't think any of their android phones have appallingly bad processors, so I'm not really worried about that. I use my Nexus 7 most of the time, so I'd really just want a phone for tethering and for taking pics. The Samsung SIII has great reviews, but I don't know if I should drop $200 + fees when a much cheaper device could work fine. Opinions?

Default Re: What phone do you have? Love it/hate it?

The Motorola RAZR M is only $100, and is a really nice phone for the price. Camera is passable, and the battery life is pretty stellar. It's not a huge phone either but still has a 4.3 inch screen. You might want to check out the Verizon store in person to see what's good, though.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

I just traded my S3 for a note 2. The s3 is an amazing device. Top notch. The note 2 takes it one step further. Im blown away by both but the note 2 is expensive. You can probably find some good deals on the S3.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

ROM
    Stock

I love my GS3. Good battery life, good camera. You can probably find it for much less if you don't buy directly from Verizon (looks like Amazon has it at $79 + contract right now).

Quote Originally Posted by mesocyclonic View Post
    I love my GS3. Good battery life, good camera. You can probably find it for much less if you don't buy directly from Verizon (looks like Amazon has it at $79 + contract right now).
    Best Buy will price match Amazon Wireless. My wife and I just ported our Sprint phone numbers to Verizon this past Sunday. We did it at Best Buy, specifically because of their price match policy. We paid $79.99 for my Galaxy S3 and a penny for my wifes Razr M.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

The Razr M is part of verizon's holiday sale and is $49 on the website. I have a Thunderbolt and am due for an upgrade. The note is the phone I've wanted since the first came out. I'm getting that because I think I'll be happy with it beyond 2 years. My current phone is limping to it's end of life.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks all, I didn't realize Amazon had phones at such subsidized prices! This definitely expands my options . Right now I'm debating between the HTC Rezound, and the Droid DNA. Clearly in terms of specs, the Droid DNA wins--but the Rezound seems like a decent enough phone, and is only $.01 including extras ('$80' headphones, microSD).

I'm a student with a p/t job, and getting a smartphone means I'll need to pay for my own data--although I'm not totally broke, that's still an extra couple hundred I could avoid. Then again, a phone is pretty much a 2-year investment so the extra couple hundred would be worth it right? The Samsung S3 seems great at only $100, but I'm particularly drawn to the f/2.0, 28mm lens on the HTC phones--if I'm going to get the S3, I might as well fork over $50 more for the Droid DNA.

If I could tether (it's possible to do that for free w/apps, right?), I'd probably still use my 7" tablet more than the phone itself regardless of quality. The phone would be nice to use as a camera/phone/music player, but I'd prefer my tablet for most other situations.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

If you wanted the rezound you should find one on craigslist or something. They are cheap then you would be out of contract.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    1,913 Global Posts

Really like my RAZR Maxx. Don't think I'd go with rebound but to each their own.

Global Posts
    1,913 Global Posts

Fyi, wife has S3 and it's been very reliable. Checked out her phone last night and saw 700 since she last rebooted her phone, still running very fast and no issues.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thanks all! I think I'm going to go with the Droid DNA--a cellphone is pretty much a 2-year commitment, so I might as well pay a little more for something that I'll still be pleased with a year down the road. I'm tempted by the Galaxy S3, but I figure the Droid is a newer device for only $50 more.

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 and in love it. Best phone I've ever used.
    Thanked by:

...but this is an Android forum so....
    I Monarch likes this.

I upgrade from my Evo 3d to the Note 2 last week. Battery life is amazing and the camera rocks! I thought the size would get to me but coworkers that have the Note tools me I'd get used to it and they were right. At this time I haven't found anything that I don't love.

I know there are a lot of great phones out there right now but for my money the Note 2 is worth every cent!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

I saw the S3 may be $49 at Best Buy starting this Sunday. I was going to spend the big bucks for a Note 2 but may need to jump on this. I like my wife's S3. May be worth looking into.

S3 is an awesome unit. For $49 its a great deal!

Sent from Galaxy Note 2!
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by mpciii View Post
    I saw the S3 may be $49 at Best Buy starting this Sunday. I was going to spend the big bucks for a Note 2 but may need to jump on this. I like my wife's S3. May be worth looking into.
    I'm having buyer's remorse now lol. I went for the Droid DNA for $280--could have saved $50 from amzn but it would have taken 2 months. Tried and failed to waive the $30 fee. I'm feeling like it's a transition phone--definitely 2013-worthy but not as full-featured as the feb/march flagship HTC release. The lack of microSD card is bumming me out, and I don't know if it's really worth $150 more than the S3 lol.

Oh well, I'm sure when I actually get the phone I'll be very happy .
    Last edited by jrwatson; 12-13-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

I have the razr maxx it is a real good phone. Battery life is great and i dont have any problems out of it. Maybe going back to iphone.
    My wife has the thunderbolt and it is a piece of crap. She is going back to the iphone.
    My son has the lg spectrum and he doesn't have any problem other than battery life.
    My daughter has the samsung s3 and she really likes it but will be going back to the iphone also.
    I would really encourage you to go to the verizon store and just play with them all and see what you like and how it feels in your hands. After you have picked a few that you like i would come here and read everyones experience with those models. the information on this site is great.
    Some questions you need to ask yourself is:
    How long without being around a charger are you going to be?
    How are you going to carry your phone which will help determine the size with or without a case?
    Is it important to you to have the lastest os on your phone?
    Ask your friends how they like their phones?

I like my Sony as a "starter" phone. No idea if it is on Verizon because I am not in the USA.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums