New Verizon plans (and how it will affect us)

Leif

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
If I remember correctly, Verizon is prepping to replace the unlimited plans with tiered data plans, in the very near future. So does anyone know (or willing to guess) how this will affect us? I know the 2 year contract has an early out clause if verizon changes the agreement on us, and we don't agree with it (although I don't know if we will then have to pay the ETF, or how that works out), or do you think verizon will grandfather our X's in? Thanks

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I would bet that they would grandfather devices, just like ATT did.

They said the tier plans would not come until LGE is rolled out. When they consider roll-out is different issue (as soon as they give 25 markets, or entier country)

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I really don't know what to tell you on this one; your guess is as good as mine. However I do know one thing, I just got my X Friday and its my first ever smartphone, and they WOULD change the unlimited phone data plans just as I get in on the party -_-

Hopefully an unlimited plan remains, as I'd be willing to pay slightly more than the current plan to hold on to "unlimited," as I hate the idea of having to have to constantly monitor my bandwidth usage...

Only time can tell what the exact future of Verizon data plans holds.

kajii

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd expect them to let people with Unlimited plans keep them. I hope so anyway...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
For sure they will grandfather existing 3g plans. Verizon doesn't need to restrict bandwidth on their 3g network, it's their upcoming LTE network that will need to be throttled down (at least initially) as they ramp it up. So look for when the first LTE phones are announced (/cough November) to see the first tiered bandwidth plans, and don't worry about it impacting your Droid X bill.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
There's two things they can do --
1. Allow contracts with unlimited data to stay that way
2. Change the contract and allow users to cancel ETF free.

They will pick whichever one make the most sense financially. Hopefully, they grandfather existing plans, and extend unlimited data when grandfathered users want to re-up, unless the new phone choice requires a change of plan.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully, they grandfather existing plans, and extend unlimited data when grandfathered users want to re-up, unless the new phone choice requires a change of plan.

That last part will be the key; no one will be allowed to get an LTE phone without getting a new "class" of data plan, and it's at that point that tiered/not unlimited data will kick in. 3G isn't going to change...their network doesn't need it and it's one of the ways they can differentiate themselves from AT&T.

Leif

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
There's two things they can do --
1. Allow contracts with unlimited data to stay that way
2. Change the contract and allow users to cancel ETF free.

They will pick whichever one make the most sense financially. Hopefully, they grandfather existing plans, and extend unlimited data when grandfathered users want to re-up, unless the new phone choice requires a change of plan.

Ah, very good thanks.

Although a large part of me hopes they would do #2 ;), that's good to know, thank you. /me rests easy.

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
No-one knows they are going to tiered. They have not taken the option off the table, but this speculation has been recently restarted by the addition of a bandwidth monitor in their my verizon app apparently. I think we have nothing to worry about. LTE may change that, but again, not our problem.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Done properly I'd welcome it. Make unlimited pricing equal to unlimited plus tethering, add a new limited (2GB?) plan for the old $30 plan, and do away with tethering fees. This could stop the encrypted boot loader arms race and let Verizon open up the Android platform even more. Tiered with no unlimited option would stink. But rumors of tiered pricing are way too speculative as of now to jump to conclusions.

BTW: bandwidth monitors are generally useful-especially if you travel overseas or just want to see how much bandwidth watching Hulu takes with Froyo :)

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
They may keep the $30 plan at unlimited and then have a cheaper ($15?) option that'd maybe cover half a gig or so. I monitor my data usage monthly pretty well just in case they ever do change plans, I'll know whether or not I can save some money. I'm really hoping for a 250MB plan or something, because I use a fair amount of data, but really not much more than that. This month will be alot because I'm downloading tons of new apps, but after that it'll just be mild usage throughout the day.

Reactions: 1088933

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I wouldnt mind charging 9.99 for every gig of data. So months I use 1 gig I pay 9.99, and months that I use 2 gigs I pay 19.99. It would save so many people money it would be nice. The few people that use more than 3gigs per month every month will pay a little more, but too bad for them.

itguy09

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind paying per GB as long as it's reasonable. One of the biggest issues I have with AT&T's plans is that the caps are low (I easily brush up against 2GB a month) and you can't do what you wish.

If I'm paying per GB let me use it how I want - tethering, phone, whatever. Don't tell me I have to pay for 2GB and then an extra $20 to use that same 2GB for tethering. At least Verizon got it right where it is separate.

Another thing would be a family plan for data. Buy 4GB and split it amongst the lines.....

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind paying per GB as long as it's reasonable. One of the biggest issues I have with AT&T's plans is that the caps are low (I easily brush up against 2GB a month) and you can't do what you wish.

If I'm paying per GB let me use it how I want - tethering, phone, whatever. Don't tell me I have to pay for 2GB and then an extra $20 to use that same 2GB for tethering. At least Verizon got it right where it is separate.

Another thing would be a family plan for data. Buy 4GB and split it amongst the lines.....

Certainly good ideas and I pretty much agree. I don't see why data can't be shared amongst a family plan, though I imagine if VZ did something like that, they'd charge a lot more than the $30 extra per month now.

In terms of the OP, it would make better sense to grandfather existing unlimited plans in, rather than give people the option to terminate their contract for free and jump ship to AT&T, Sprint, or other providers.

kaiser10123

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
I wouldnt mind charging 9.99 for every gig of data. So months I use 1 gig I pay 9.99, and months that I use 2 gigs I pay 19.99. It would save so many people money it would be nice. The few people that use more than 3gigs per month every month will pay a little more, but too bad for them.

yea that doesn't work for me and is the main reason i can never have at&t. I use 5-8 gb of data a month. With the apps coming out that allow video and music streaming and my downloading podcasts everyday having no option for unlimited data would cripple any apps such as slingbox, orb, pandora, slacker as well as hopes for netflix or hulu kind of worthless if you use them a few times and use up all your data

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
This is mostly speculation, but it does have some historical evidence to support it:

-It seems that the tiered data plans will be for 4g, not for 3g data. This means that as long as you don't get a 4g device, you should be able to keep your unlimited plan. Like when they went from America's choice to Nationwide data pricing. Older phones used to use plan minutes to use data. As the phones improved (and thus so did their capability to consume data) They switched to the nationwide pricing. Higher end phones required nationwide plans to activate, but if you kept with one of the more basic options, you could continue using plan minutes to surf the web.
-If they do change 3g, they'll grandfather current plans for current users/devices at least until you are up to renew your contract. (like they are doing with the 3g multimedia devices). But if you change your phone at all, you might lose your plan. (or you might be ok keeping yuor plan as long as you don't get a 4g capable device)

At the very least, we know that tiered data is coming with 4g and you won't be able to move your current 3g plan and apply it to 4g data.

Shaneo13

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
What ticks me off about tiered plans, is that, all these apps that use advertisements, any web page that has ads, all the spam, or anything else I never meant to do. All of this I now have to pay for. It is taking away from my allotted monthly bandwidth.

Shaneo13

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I mean how would you like it if TV was priced the same way. You can only have the TV on for 20 hours a month. Wouldn't you be ticked that your paying for the 20 minutes of commercials every hour your watching it.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Would you rather pay $5-10 an app or a few cents per MB of downloads for the ads that pay for the app? It all depends on how much you use the app and how much spare bandwidth you have. Personally I think the ad are noise in my overall bandwidth usage and the cost of "free" apps. But where possible I buy the pro or donate version (even if the regular has no ads) just to support the devs that made it possible. Besides, a fair chunk of the time I'm on wifi so the bandwidth is free anyway.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance