Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WannaBeYou
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default upgrade or maybe new line, will this work???

    My wife has unlimited data on a iphone 4 with verizon. I want to get her the iphone 5 without losing the unlimited data. Walmart has the 5 for $127 plus i have a $50 gift card making the phone around $80. was thinking about getting the phone on a new line activation, then doing an esn/sim change to my wifes current line to the new iphone 5 and then cancelling the new activation and getting charged the cancellation fee of $350. my price for a new phone and unlimited data without a contract would be $430 or so. Would this work???
    Last edited by conan1071; 12-22-2012 at 05:39 PM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

    Default Re: upgrade or maybe new line, will this work???

    anyone at all??
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: upgrade or maybe new line, will this work???

    Sounds good, you might just want to make sure Walmart isn't hiding any extra charges when you cancel the line. I know sometimes the third party retailers will pull some tricky stuff if you try to cancel. You might have to keep the line open for awhile to avoid extra fees on the way out.

    Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA
    Last edited by paul-c; 12-23-2012 at 12:58 AM.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: upgrade or maybe new line, will this work???

    Quote Originally Posted by conan1071 View Post
    My wife has unlimited data on a iphone 4 with verizon. I want to get her the iphone 5 without losing the unlimited data. Walmart has the 5 for $127 plus i have a $50 gift card making the phone around $80. was thinking about getting the phone on a new line activation, then doing an esn/sim change to my wifes current line to the new iphone 5 and then cancelling the new activation and getting charged the cancellation fee of $350. my price for a new phone and unlimited data without a contract would be $430 or so. Would this work???
    Well your logic is faulty since money is fungible. You could use the Walmart gift card for things you need, like toilet paper, etc., so you are still paying the $80 for the things you need and buy anyway but that you could have purchased with the Walmart gift card. The subsidized phone price + the ETF = $477.

    However, many of these 3rd parties, like Walmart Wireless online, which I think may be different from the Walmart stores, charge $400 if you don't return the phone and the box and everything it comes with in good condition if you cancel before 14 days (which would mean no ETF and no activation fee, but the phone would end up costing you $127 + $400 = $527).

    If you cancel after the 14 days but before 181 days, you pay a prorated ETF and the activation fee and they charge you $400 for the phone in addition to the $127 you paid for it. And it is not just if you cancel after 14 days but before 181 days, even if you drop or reduce the data plan after 14 days but before 181 days you will be charged this $400. So even if you keep the spare line but put a feature phone on it and cancel the data plan on the spare line you will be charged the $400 by the third party. This is because when you do that they have to give VZW back the commission they were paid, which is what allowed them to sell you the phone for $127 to begin with without losing money on the deal.

    So check with the Walmart stores to see if they have a similar charge. Most of them do or people would do what you are suggesting all of the time.


    https://wireless.walmart.com/help/te...spx&viewmode=1
    paul-c likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: upgrade or maybe new line, will this work???

    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeYou View Post
    Well your logic is faulty since money is tangible. You could use the Walmart gift card for things you need, like toilet paper, etc., so you are still paying the $80 for the things you need and buy anyway but that you could have purchased with the Walmart gift card. The subsidized phone price + the ETF = $477.


    https://wireless.walmart.com/help/te...spx&viewmode=1
    I agree, however the iphone is a little unique in that the subsidy is typically higher than for other smartphones.

    Assuming that the full retail price of a 16 gb Iphone 5 is 649.99 and that you can get it from Walmart for $477 free and clear, it's a decent deal. However, if it is a new line of service and the activation fee is still in play and not waived, the price becomes $477 + $35 =$512

    However, you can also purchase from VZW directly for $199.99 + $350 ETF and $35 activation fee for a new line and still net the phone for around $585.

    If you are able to do this and somehow get the activation fee waived, then the price of the phone is around $550.
    All these scenarios allow you to pay less than just buying the phone at full retail.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: upgrade or maybe new line, will this work???

    Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    I agree, however the iphone is a little unique in that the subsidy is typically higher than for other smartphones.

    Assuming that the full retail price of a 16 gb Iphone 5 is 649.99 and that you can get it from Walmart for $477 free and clear, it's a decent deal. However, if it is a new line of service and the activation fee is still in play and not waived, the price becomes $477 + $35 =$512
    You ignored the rest of my post. You can't get the phone for that price because of the additional fees charged by the 3rd party sellers. There is no way Walmart doesn't charge one of those. For instance, Walmart Wireless online charges $400 if you don't return the phone and the box and everything it comes with in good condition if you cancel before 14 days which would mean no ETF and no activation fee, but the phone would end up costing you $127 + $400 = $527. So you would save $650 - $527 = $123.

    I guess that is worth it to some people, but it seems like a lot of work to me for $123.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: upgrade or maybe new line, will this work???

    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeYou View Post
    You ignored the rest of my post. You can't get the phone for that price because of the additional fees charged by the 3rd party sellers. There is no way Walmart doesn't charge one of those. For instance, Walmart Wireless online charges $400 if you don't return the phone and the box and everything it comes with in good condition if you cancel before 14 days which would mean no ETF and no activation fee, but the phone would end up costing you $127 + $400 = $527. So you would save $650 - $527 = $123.



    I guess that is worth it to some people, but it seems like a lot of work to me for $123.
    You're probably right that it isn't the best idea, but whether you pay $350 or $400 to cancel within 14 days doesn't seem that critical to me since I assume you would be charged one or the other.

    I would be concerned if you cancel or make changes before 181 days but after the 14th day, since I know places like Amazon and perhaps Walmart can charge you $400 as you mentioned.

    However, I believe Verizon Wireless still has the right to charge you the normal ETF of up to $350 on their end as well.

    That could mean getting hit from both sides. Here are part of the Terms for AmazonWireless:

    The following are some scenarios where we may determine that you have not maintained your service and have not met the requirements listed above:

    If your device with the carrier is not activated per Amazon's activation instructions within 14 days
    If your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 days and you do not return the device(s) to Amazon
    If a new individual or new family account is merged with or replaces a pre-existing account
    If you transfer this equipment to another carrier's service or to another line in your family account and deactivate the line that Amazon established for your device

    By accepting this Instant Discount Policy, you agree to repay $400 per smart phone or tablet and $200 per other device if you do not maintain your carrier service for 181 consecutive days from the service activation date. You also authorize us to collect that amount using any credit card we have on record for you. Amazon can periodically check your account status with the carrier to confirm your line of service is active and in good standing and thereby confirm you are in compliance with this policy.

    The Instant Discount Policy will not be applied if you cancel your order and return the device(s) within our 30-day return period. You must return your device(s) to Amazon within the carrier's 14-day return period in order to avoid the carrier's Early Termination Fees (ETF). If your purchase was an upgrade, your upgrade eligibility will not be reset unless you return your device to Amazon within the carrier's 14-day return period

Similar Threads

  1. Will this work with other Beats head/earphones?
    By chronic illusionz in forum Verizon HTC Rezound
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 01:48 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 10:07 PM
  3. Will this work on T-mobile??
    By grayfox99 in forum AT&T Galaxy S II
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2011, 02:19 AM
  4. Will this Work?
    By RileyRRR98 in forum AT&T Inspire 4G
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 05:59 PM
  5. Will this work for me
    By dmiller15 in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 10:28 PM

Posting Permissions