Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Engadget: Verizon switching to AT&T-style limited data plans later this month?

    Hang on to your megabytes, folks, because it looks like the Brave New World of limited data is truly upon us. AT&T and Verizon tend to follow each others' moves pretty closely -- the two carriers regard each other as their nearest competitors, after all -- and we're hearing that Big Red intends to move to some sort of tiered bucket strategy on July 29. We don't have details on whether the pricing will be identical to AT&T's ($25 for 2GB, $15 for 200MB), but we imagine it'll be within shouting distance if not. Of course, Verizon has been sending this message for a long time -- even before AT&T was -- so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that this is going down. You might say that Droid Does Caps, eh?

    Verizon switching to AT&T-style limited data plans later this month? -- Engadget
  2. #2  

    Default

    Hey, Droid Does caps.. yep.. but the iPhone has caps too.. There's a cap for that!

    90 something % of users don't use more than 2GB, so does this really affect many people? No.

    1. Use WIFI when at home, your battery will last longer and you'll get data quicker.
    2. Chances are your home broadband's cap is much much higher so you wont run out.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.
  3. #3  
    5 point 1's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    402 Global Posts

    Default

    It doesn't matter for us current users anyways. Limited data is for new verizon customers, or verizon customers that are JUST adding data to their plans, after the effective date. If you already have unlimited data, you will get to keep it. Just don't interrupt that data plan, because if you cancel it and then try to add it back on later, then unlimited will no longer be available. I know that I'VE got nothing to worry about.

    Same goes for the AT&T customers.
  4. #4  

    Default

    I ordered my phone and added unlimited internet on the 9th of July. I haven't gotten yet or activated it, but do you think I'll be affected if Verizon implements new data plans before I get my Droid Incredible?

    Or am I safe since I ordered it with unlimited internet?
  5. #5  
    _JKK_'s Avatar

    Posts
    616 Posts
    Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    ROM
    Redemption ROM

    Default

    Do the math; you get screwed when these caps are implemented.

    It isn't so much about how much data you use, it's about gigabytes/dollar ratio.
  6. #6  
    5 point 1's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    402 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by urabob View Post
    I ordered my phone and added unlimited internet on the 9th of July. I haven't gotten yet or activated it, but do you think I'll be affected if Verizon implements new data plans before I get my Droid Incredible?

    Or am I safe since I ordered it with unlimited internet?
    You are safe...
  7. #7  

    Default

    I glad I'm already signed up, I use more than 2 gb a month
  8. #8  

    Default

    If this is true, get a contract now. You will be locked into unlimited for at least 2 years (you could probably buy a phone off contract at that point and put it onto your still-unlimited-data plan). I bet Verizon will offer better pricing than AT&T though, their network hasn't been hit by the iPhone madness. Plus, LTE will start taking some heat off the CDMA 3G waves.
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  9. #9  
    trock70's Avatar

    Posts
    181 Posts
    ROM
    Carbonite Fusion

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5 point 1 View Post
    It doesn't matter for us current users anyways. Limited data is for new verizon customers, or verizon customers that are JUST adding data to their plans, after the effective date. If you already have unlimited data, you will get to keep it. Just don't interrupt that data plan, because if you cancel it and then try to add it back on later, then unlimited will no longer be available. I know that I'VE got nothing to worry about.

    Same goes for the AT&T customers.
    What will this do to NE2 accounts?
    If you like what you see, hit the thanks button!
  10. #10  

    Default

    Just another way to screw users out of money who like using their smartphone. Personally I use close to 5GB a month. Why the hell they would want to put a limit on data for $5 less is beyond stupid, However if they offered this as an optional choice for light users it would make a good decision but do not take away what everyone already enjoys.
  11. #11  
    mh27's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

    Default

    I hope not! this will really suck I hate caps. I don't have a cap on FIOS I shouldn't on VZW
  12. #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    90 something % of users don't use more than 2GB, so does this really affect many people? No.
    So you would think that Verizon would just leave the plans alone... Have users pay for more than they use?
  13. #13  
    sloan31's Avatar

    Posts
    489 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

    Default

    I thought the unlimited plan is really only up to 5GB, is this not true?
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Engadget: Verizon switching to AT&T-style limited data plans later this month?

    How can you tell how much you use per month?
  15. #15  
    Qazme's Avatar

    Posts
    2,819 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

    Default

    Log into your verizon account via verizonwireless.com and check your data usage. Or download the myverizon app and it will tell you.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    I thought the unlimited plan is really only up to 5GB, is this not true?
    Nope it's truly unlimited with NO 5GB cap with smartphones. If you tether or use a mobile broadband card, there is a 5GB cap though.
  17. #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qazme View Post
    Log into your verizon account via verizonwireless.com and check your data usage. Or download the myverizon app and it will tell you.
    The stats given by the My Account web site and #DATA are not real time... its delayed anywhere from 24 to 48hrs.

    I wonder how current or real time the My VZW app is?

    To me, having a real time count of data used, not an "estimate as of...", is essential for the customer if a carrier moves to tiered data pricing like this.
  18. #18  
    draken's Avatar

    Posts
    286 Posts
    Global Posts
    288 Global Posts

    Default

    I use an app called NetCounter. Shows near realtime data and WiFi usage, and you can set the day it resets (choose your billing cycle rollover date). Also keeps lifetime usage numbers. Pretty handy and free too.
  19. #19  
    GenericMessage
    GenericMessage's Avatar
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brina042 View Post
    Nope it's truly unlimited with NO 5GB cap with smartphones. If you tether or use a mobile broadband card, there is a 5GB cap though.
    Not this argument again..................






    Anywho, I doubt Verizon will do it.
  20. #20  
    sloan31's Avatar

    Posts
    489 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brina042 View Post
    Nope it's truly unlimited with NO 5GB cap with smartphones. If you tether or use a mobile broadband card, there is a 5GB cap though.
    So, how do they know if you are tethering or not if all the data is passing through the phone?
  21. #21  
    Menno's Avatar
    Coffee Addict

    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    So, how do they know if you are tethering or not if all the data is passing through the phone?
    Because tethering typically uses different gateways. Some apps like PDA net supposedly bypass this, but they can also tell my usage, and volume (not 5gb so much, but if you're using 20gb+ a month, it's pretty much guarenteed your tethering)

    As for the actual story, think about this.

    The news story said that Verizon might be going to caps later this month, and then they posted the caps ATT has on their account. They didn't post ANYTHING about what verizon caps would be, or what the price point is.

    For all we know, it could be 5gb for 10 or 5gb for 100.

    Personally, I don't see them really doing this until they have a 4g network in place (though a lower tiered data plan might work to try and get people to make smartphone jump). I'm not saying it won't happen, but I really doubt they'll match ATT exactly on this.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.
  22. #22  
    nalpakj's Avatar

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    Do the math; you get screwed when these caps are implemented.

    It isn't so much about how much data you use, it's about gigabytes/dollar ratio.
    I disagree with this completely. It's not about the ratio if the GB are not being used. It's about value. If you only use 1gb per month then you can't base your value on 2gb. That's like going to Costco and buying the 10 gallon multi-pack of milk because it's cheap but you only go through 1 gallon before it spoils. Your gallon/dollar ratio is irrelevent...the fact is you only drank 1 gallon of milk and paid for 10.

    For most of us, this type of plan is advantagous. I rarely (and by rarely I mean on once) have gone over 1.5gb.
  23. #23  
    Menno's Avatar
    Coffee Addict

    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nalpakj View Post
    I disagree with this completely. It's not about the ratio if the GB are not being used. It's about value. If you only use 1gb per month then you can't base your value on 2gb. That's like going to Costco and buying the 10 gallon multi-pack of milk because it's cheap but you only go through 1 gallon before it spoils. Your gallon/dollar ratio is irrelevent...the fact is you only drank 1 gallon of milk and paid for 10.

    For most of us, this type of plan is advantagous. I rarely (and by rarely I mean on once) have gone over 1.5gb.
    I easily use 3gb. But that's because I'm not near strong wifi most of the time. I'm moving to an area that has a lot of wifi available so my usage will go down.

    I agree that this could be a boon for users. But they need to do it right. I think 2gb for 25 is too low considering they don't have issues with their network like att, and Tethering should be part of your usual plan, this is for wifi and wired.

    And they need to improve their my verizon usage to make sure it's accurate and realtime.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.
  24. #24  
    Qazme's Avatar

    Posts
    2,819 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nalpakj View Post
    I disagree with this completely. It's not about the ratio if the GB are not being used. It's about value. If you only use 1gb per month then you can't base your value on 2gb. That's like going to Costco and buying the 10 gallon multi-pack of milk because it's cheap but you only go through 1 gallon before it spoils. Your gallon/dollar ratio is irrelevent...the fact is you only drank 1 gallon of milk and paid for 10.

    For most of us, this type of plan is advantagous. I rarely (and by rarely I mean on once) have gone over 1.5gb.
    I agree with you completely. However I like having the untier/unlimited pricing in case I decide I'm going on a road trip and want to stream music the whole time. Before I had a WiFi enabled phone I used to easily go over 3-4GB a month but with WiFi I rarely see over a GB a month. If the pricing was right I wouldn't complain at all. If they wanted to drop me to $10-15 a month for 2GB I would seriously think about biting on it.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!
  25. #25  
    dragozoid's Avatar

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

    Default

    I don't think this will affect existing customers; Only those who sign up w/Verizon after they launch their tiered plans. ATT grandfathered people even when they extended their contracts after June 7 so I would assume Verizon would follow suit especially since they're not having network congestion like ATT.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions