Engadget: Verizon switching to AT&T-style limited data plans later this month?

ctw500

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Hang on to your megabytes, folks, because it looks like the Brave New World of limited data is truly upon us. AT&T and Verizon tend to follow each others' moves pretty closely -- the two carriers regard each other as their nearest competitors, after all -- and we're hearing that Big Red intends to move to some sort of tiered bucket strategy on July 29. We don't have details on whether the pricing will be identical to AT&T's ($25 for 2GB, $15 for 200MB), but we imagine it'll be within shouting distance if not. Of course, Verizon has been sending this message for a long time -- even before AT&T was -- so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that this is going down. You might say that Droid Does Caps, eh?

Verizon switching to AT&T-style limited data plans later this month? -- Engadget

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Hey, Droid Does caps.. yep.. but the iPhone has caps too.. There's a cap for that!

90 something % of users don't use more than 2GB, so does this really affect many people? No.

1. Use WIFI when at home, your battery will last longer and you'll get data quicker.
2. Chances are your home broadband's cap is much much higher so you wont run out.

5 point 1

Banned
Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't matter for us current users anyways. Limited data is for new verizon customers, or verizon customers that are JUST adding data to their plans, after the effective date. If you already have unlimited data, you will get to keep it. Just don't interrupt that data plan, because if you cancel it and then try to add it back on later, then unlimited will no longer be available. I know that I'VE got nothing to worry about.

Same goes for the AT&T customers.

urabob

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I ordered my phone and added unlimited internet on the 9th of July. I haven't gotten yet or activated it, but do you think I'll be affected if Verizon implements new data plans before I get my Droid Incredible?

Or am I safe since I ordered it with unlimited internet? :confused:

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Do the math; you get screwed when these caps are implemented.

It isn't so much about how much data you use, it's about gigabytes/dollar ratio.

Last edited:

5 point 1

Banned
Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I ordered my phone and added unlimited internet on the 9th of July. I haven't gotten yet or activated it, but do you think I'll be affected if Verizon implements new data plans before I get my Droid Incredible?

Or am I safe since I ordered it with unlimited internet? :confused:

You are safe...

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If this is true, get a contract now. You will be locked into unlimited for at least 2 years (you could probably buy a phone off contract at that point and put it onto your still-unlimited-data plan). I bet Verizon will offer better pricing than AT&T though, their network hasn't been hit by the iPhone madness. Plus, LTE will start taking some heat off the CDMA 3G waves.

trock70

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't matter for us current users anyways. Limited data is for new verizon customers, or verizon customers that are JUST adding data to their plans, after the effective date. If you already have unlimited data, you will get to keep it. Just don't interrupt that data plan, because if you cancel it and then try to add it back on later, then unlimited will no longer be available. I know that I'VE got nothing to worry about.

Same goes for the AT&T customers.

What will this do to NE2 accounts?

Markimus

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Just another way to screw users out of money who like using their smartphone. Personally I use close to 5GB a month. Why the hell they would want to put a limit on data for $5 less is beyond stupid, However if they offered this as an optional choice for light users it would make a good decision but do not take away what everyone already enjoys.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Log into your verizon account via verizonwireless.com and check your data usage. Or download the myverizon app and it will tell you.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
Log into your verizon account via verizonwireless.com and check your data usage. Or download the myverizon app and it will tell you.

The stats given by the My Account web site and #DATA are not real time... its delayed anywhere from 24 to 48hrs.

I wonder how current or real time the My VZW app is?

To me, having a real time count of data used, not an "estimate as of...", is essential for the customer if a carrier moves to tiered data pricing like this.

draken

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I use an app called NetCounter. Shows near realtime data and WiFi usage, and you can set the day it resets (choose your billing cycle rollover date). Also keeps lifetime usage numbers. Pretty handy and free too.

G

GenericMessage

Nope it's truly unlimited with NO 5GB cap with smartphones. If you tether or use a mobile broadband card, there is a 5GB cap though. :)

Not this argument again..................

Anywho, I doubt Verizon will do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax