Moving back to Android phone (is the DNA the phone to buy?)

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
After playing with my Nexus 7 (this thing gets the smaller form factor right), I am ready to go back to Android from iOS.

So I want to hit the Verizon store and buy a new phone. Since I get an upgrade in June, I am going to pay full price this go round and sell my iPhone to offset price. This way I can upgrade in 6 months if some killer phone is announced in the next few months.

The Note 2 is simply too big for me. I am a big guy at 6' and 235 lbs on a good day, but if it doesn't fit in my jeans or khakis pocket, I don't want it as a phone.

The Droid DNA seems to be quite a phone, but the battery is a question mark. I was worried at first, but heard Phil on the AC podcast talk about how it wasn't bad. Can other DNA owners weigh in on this?

If not the Note 2 or DNA, is there some other top end phone on Verizon that I am missing? I definitely want to have a powerful phone if I am going to drop the $$ to pick one up.

Last edited:

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
How about the S3 it has a 4.8 screen removable battery and expandable storage unlike the DNA.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I completely forgot about the S3. It's funny because it feels like it's been out for so long now. I didn't really realize how relevant it still is.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sense is a resource hog more than touchwiz is and htcs phones are infamous for failed multitasking. But that's just my two cents. Why not wait until April/may until the s4 comes out. It has spen functionality as well as the quad core exynos with 3gb of ram.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

dasDestruktion

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
If you're going to go with the S3, check craigslist in your area. I've noticed a slew of S3s being listed here in Washington DC. That way you're not screwed into a new contract or waste an upgrade!

Just be careful, meet in person (preferably at a VZW store to check ESN and get a new LTE sim if necessary), etc. You know the deal.

The thing I hate about many new, non-Samsung, devices is the lack of removable storage. Google encouraging the internal storage with MTP and unified file system is *only* an attempt at forcing people into their cloud services. Thank you Samsung for not giving in!

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
How can the note 2 not fit in your pocket. Let alone your hands at that size? Unless you're wearing really tight skinny jeans. The note 2 is the best phone out at the moment. 2GB of ram 1.6 quad core Exynos. Battery way better than The razr maxx hd (lol). Removable battery, better ecosystem and software, s-pen functionality, removable storage, better camera, better UI...

I came from an iphone 5 and now I've gotten used to this phone and its so perfect. Give it a chance you have a return policy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
How can the note 2 not fit in your pocket. Let alone your hands at that size? Unless you're wearing really tight skinny jeans.

Not sure what kind of jeans you wear, but I just measured the depth of my pocket (size 38 Loose Fit Buffalo Jeans) and the depth of the pocket is five inches. The Note 2 is 5.95 inches tall. Not carrying a phone in my back pocket. That seems absurd and an invitation for disaster.

I have used the phone and think it is awesome. If it were 20% smaller, it'd tick ALL boxes. I guess this is kind of like saying if the DNA had a 20% bigger battery it'd do the same.

CodyAB30

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Have had the note 2 for 2 weeks now, fits in every pocket I own. Ill never buy a phone with a smaller screen now that I've got use to it, but that's just personal preference. It is a large device. Honestly If size is your only hesitation I would get it and give it 2 weeks, you can always return it.

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what kind of jeans you wear, but I just measured the depth of my pocket (size 38 Loose Fit Buffalo Jeans) and the depth of the pocket is five inches. The Note 2 is 5.95 inches tall. Not carrying a phone in my back pocket. That seems absurd and an invitation for disaster.

I have used the phone and think it is awesome. If it were 20% smaller, it'd tick ALL boxes. I guess this is kind of like saying if the DNA had a 20% bigger battery it'd do the same.

Well not really. The dna is not quite up to par. And really? I wear size 32 Levis slim fit and the phone fits perfectly fine. Even in my tailored made work dress pants. It even fits in my gfs pocket..... And she's like a double 0 petite...

Grab yourself the phone trust me on this. :)

Kmasum

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
If you have good T-Mobile service in your area , I would recommend nexus 4 without contract

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Have had the note 2 for 2 weeks now, fits in every pocket I own. Ill never buy a phone with a smaller screen now that I've got use to it, but that's just personal preference. It is a large device. Honestly If size is your only hesitation I would get it and give it 2 weeks, you can always return it.

This phone is pretty awesome , but of course you can return. I mean , if you can. I doubt you'll want to.

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Well not really. The dna is not quite up to par. And really? I wear size 32 Levis slim fit and the phone fits perfectly fine. Even in my tailored made work dress pants. It even fits in my gfs pocket..... And she's like a double 0 petite...

Grab yourself the phone trust me on this. :)

I appreciate all of the Note 2 size posts about it fitting in your pockets. Post a pic? I have no reason to think people would just say it fits if it didn't, but I just can't see how it's comfortable.

LOL. No need to post pics. Just went on YouTube and watchd a bunch of really awkward folks doing Samsung Galaxy Note pocket tests.

eyepaint2

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
So tired of the arguments about the note size. I've had note 1 and note 2. Fits comfortably in every pocket I have. If your pants pockets are only 5 inches deep you need to take off your daughters low rize spandex pants. I put my slick note2 in my pocket and it falls several inches to the bottom of my pocket. And I just wear regular Levi Carpenter pants.
These people who cry about the note size should just keep wearing their Justin beiber skinny jeans and buy a iphone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
So tired of the arguments about the note size. I've had note 1 and note 2. Fits comfortably in every pocket I have. If your pants pockets are only 5 inches deep you need to take off your daughters low rize spandex pants. I put my slick note2 in my pocket and it falls several inches to the bottom of my pocket. And I just wear regular Levi Carpenter pants.
These people who cry about the note size should just keep wearing their Justin beiber skinny jeans and buy a iphone.

It is very nice of you to make your first post here. Welcome! You are appreciated. As noted, there are no skinny jeans here. Only wear jeans fit for a man (and really, with my build, I have to). Also at my size (and build), I am apt to squash trolls when they are seen in meatspace. I'd reckon your Levi Carpenter pants would have some skid marks if your bold comments were made in person. :) . I am sure your rant was all in good fun though..... I can't wait to see your second post.

Back on topic, I came here for advice to begin with, and I am heeding it. I am going to take advantage of the two week rule and try out the Note 2. I hope to be convinced by usage.

Last edited:

eyepaint2

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
No skid marks here. For every physical threat made be assured there is a counter action to surpass your enormous "build".
That being said, I guess my first mistake was to take out frustrations here for all of the comments I hear on various forums bashing on the size of the Galaxy note. Usually by people who have either never held the phone or have only held it for a minute at the wireless store.

So my sincere advise would be to carry it for a week. That will tell all. Your veiw changes drastically in just a few days. It seems smaller and more manageable every day. And other smaller phones seem dinky and hard to believe that you once considered using them.

My best friend who has been hard core iphone since the first one switched to the note 2 at Xmas. He is still in shock at how small his iphone5 seems now. But he also never carries it in his pants pocket. So your (phone in pocket) experience will just depend on what you consider comfortable I guess.

Let us know how it plays out.

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I am glad to hear there will be no need for an underwear change. We have counter actions in these parts to, but they have always been less satisfying than making someone say uncle. I figured you were just picking an inopportune time to vent so there was no need to turn it into any sort of immaturity tag.

I picked up the phone just know. Purposely wore the jeans with the 5 inch deep pockets to the store. Although it barely sticks out the top, it does not feel uncomfortable at all. When I think about the bricks we carried around in the nineties, it seems kind of silly to worry about this phone's size, but those things also weren't shaped like Pop-Tarts. I also remember how crazy it was when the V-Tac slid comfortably into the coin pocket of jeans.

Funny about your best friend. I know a guy who went into debt up to his eyeballs with the Apple Store. Then he got an original Note and proclaimed he was free. Said it was all he needed anymore. Never asked him how it played out although I probably should have asked to take advantage of his tech hand me down sale.

epicness4G

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I am glad to hear there will be no need for an underwear change. We have counter actions in these parts to, but they have always been less satisfying than making someone say uncle. I figured you were just picking an inopportune time to vent so there was no need to turn it into any sort of immaturity tag.

I picked up the phone just know. Purposely wore the jeans with the 5 inch deep pockets to the store. Although it barely sticks out the top, it does not feel uncomfortable at all. When I think about the bricks we carried around in the nineties, it seems kind of silly to worry about this phone's size, but those things also weren't shaped like Pop-Tarts. I also remember how crazy it was when the V-Tac slid comfortably into the coin pocket of jeans.

Funny about your best friend. I know a guy who went into debt up to his eyeballs with the Apple Store. Then he got an original Note and proclaimed he was free. Said it was all he needed anymore. Never asked him how it played out although I probably should have asked to take advantage of his tech hand me down sale.

Glad to hear you got it! Please do report to us your experience with the phone. I'm sure you'll love it!