Can't get Asurion insurance unless you buy directly from Verizon?!

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I just finished a live-chat with a Verizon agent. She's telling me that if I buy a phone through Radio Shack, I cannot get the Verizon insurance. I dont want to get the Radio Shack insurance because it does not cover a lost/stolen device, only damage.

Is this true?! I thought you could call in and add the verizon insurance... chat transcript below:

Carlos: i have another question regarding radio shack. if i get my upgrade through them, can I opt out of their insurance and call verizon so I can use the Asurion insurance instead? radio shack insurance does not cover lost/stolen so I'd rather have the verizon insurance.
Amber S: When you order through a third party, you are agreeing to their terms and conditions. Some third party dealers have it so that if you change your plan at all in your contract, you would be extending your contract. Some have it so that if you cancel, you pay an early termination fee with them as well as Verizon. Also, you aren't offered Verizon insurance.
Carlos: I understand there are additional obligations through that 3rd party. my question is, can I call verizon the day i get the phone from said 3rd party and sign up for the verizon insurance plan on that 3rd party device?
Amber S: No, you are not offered Verizon insurance, as mentioned above.
Carlos: Verizon won't let me get insurance?
Carlos: I know radio shack wont likely offer it
Amber S: Radio shack does offer their own insurance. If you are ordering through them, you can't get Verizon insurance. We offer insurance when you order the phone through Verizon.
Carlos: ok thank you

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
She's incorrect. When you purchase a new device, you can add the insurance anytime within the 1st 30 days. I addition, Asurion has an open enrollment period until early March for those that didn't have insurance previously and want it. Of course, your device typically has to be inspected at a VZW store after the 30 days to make sure it isn't already damaged.

carlos31820

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Diestelforf, thanks for the reply. I called the Verizon sales toll-free number and they said exactly what you just said. Even mentioned the open enrollment. Thank you for the reply.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Third party dealers can do the Verizon insurance through Asurion. But you need to ask a lot of the time because a lot of them have their own insurance as well, which they will try and sell you first.

parthtc09

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
OP I just went into a corporate vz store today to get screen protectors and I saw they were handing out advertisements for assurions open enrollment. Its 6.99 per month with i believe a 100 deduct.They dont care where you get it from as long as its a vzw phone under 2 yrs old. Although you may want to check with your local corporate store or try calling cust support it may only be my region (north east) but it won't hurt to check.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
OP I just went into a corporate vz store today to get screen protectors and I saw they were handing out advertisements for assurions open enrollment. Its 6.99 per month with i believe a 100 deduct.They dont care where you get it from as long as its a vzw phone under 2 yrs old. Although you may want to check with your local corporate store or try calling cust support it may only be my region (north east) but it won't hurt to check.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It's open enrollment until sometime in March. Any phone under 2 years old is correct. After you add it one phone call will make it official (the phone call being to anyone, basically proving the phone works when the insurance was added).

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Whats the difference between the 5 dollars and change insurance and the 6.99 insurance?????

iSheep... iSheep... Meowww that's Apple VZW GSIII

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The $5.18 insurance covers theft, loss, water damage, breakage, rolling over it with your car etc.
With the $6.99 plan you get an extra year added to your 1 year manufacture's warranty.

My opinion, and others can feel free to disagree, is that the $6.99 insurance isn't worth it.

Every new phone already has a 1 year warranty through the manufacturer and if I had an issue with my phone, I'd actually be in the minority and send it Samsung, HTC, Motorola, directly for service rather than getting a refurbished phone through VZW, even though the turnaround time would be greater, I would feel better about the likelihood of receiving a defect-free phone in return.

When you are within your first year, you have the option of calling Verizon and getting a warranty replacement device or, as in my case, going to the manufacturer directly. When you are within your 2nd year (on the $6.99 plan) your only option is to go to the carrier for a warranty replacement since the manufacturer's warranty would've expired.

The $99 deductible is the same with either plan and you can have up to 2 claims in a year period. Getting warranty replacements from the carrier directly doesn't count as a claim or carry a deductible, so if you do have the $6.99 insurance Verizon will continue to send warranty replacements after your first year at no charge. Asurion will also provide free software you can use to find your phone if you have the $6.99 plan, but there are also Android apps that work very similar.

If I buy a phone new, I'm going to do my best to run it through it's paces to make sure it is defect free and take full advantage of it's warranty if needed. If it craps out in 14 months, I'll pay the deductible to Asurion and get a replacement, whereas someone who had the $6.99 insurance could get a free warranty replacement from Verizon.

If I buy a used phone on Ebay or Craigslist, I'll exercise due caution and try to buy from reputable people (high feedback) or meet in person. If it craps out, I'll pay my $99, whereas someone that had $6.99 insurance could go back to Verizon for a warranty replacement.

I buy insurance to protect against toilets, toddlers, thieves, dogs, and my own stupidity. I figure if a phone is going to have problems, it'll do it in the first year, and I'll take my chances and file a claim after that. Bottom line is that over 2 years, the difference between the two is just under $44, so it isn't a huge deal. Considering the Iphone has plans of $8.18, $9.99 and deductibles of $169.99 and $199.99 (depending on storage space), Android insurance is much more reasonable.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I did get the insurance. If my purse was stolen and phone inside it ......I dont have 700 bucks to replace. I usually only purchase extended warranty. But this time got the insurance. I highly suggest and recommend. I sold wireless and there are those who don't and should.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair