Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mikesnexus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Default Sony Xperia Z for Verizon

I would love to see the Sony Xperia Z. I would by that the second it hit the shelves. I would normally never stand in line for a phone but this thing I def would. What does everyone else think of this? Hate the phone love it?

Default Re: Sony Xperia Z for Verizon

Really like the Xperia Z, but I doubt it's coming to Verizon based on past history. They haven't carried a phone by them since the days of Sony Ericsson, and that phone didn't go over too well. Hopefully it'll be different this time around, but it seems like AT&T is where it's at if you want a Sony phone.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ion

Doubt it would happen. Sony wouldn't put up with Verizon's BS, and they like to keep their models streamlined without too many variants. Since the radios the Z uses are multimode it could theoretically happen, but Verizon's LTE bands are problematic.

In short, it would be freaking amazing if it happened (I would be right there with you) but I don't see it happening.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Yeah I know. Its the main reason Verizon never really gets a phone that I just have to have. Haven't really seen one on there network in a very long time. A couple months ago when I really wanted a windows phone but only wanted 1 of them and that was the lumia 920. Nothing on Verizon. Really don't want the note 2. Not the biggest fan if a ton of plastic all over my phone. The xperia z is the first phone in a a long time other then the lumia 920 that I love the design. Plus water and dust proof. The power button alone has a beautiful design. And then that camera inside man I can dream right lol. Verizon never gets the phones that I really want. So tired of having to settle. The DNA might be a great phone but god do i hate the sense skin. Never have been a fan of it at all.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

If they decide not to carry it. Then I will switch. I hate to do it after all these years,but this is the first phone I have seen in a long time that I am truly excited about.
    Will wait for some initial reviews and firmly make a decision then. But based on just what I can see so far.... BYE RED!
    paul-c likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesnexus View Post
    If they decide not to carry it. Then I will switch. I hate to do it after all these years,but this is the first phone I have seen in a long time that I am truly excited about.
    Will wait for some initial reviews and firmly make a decision then. But based on just what I can see so far.... BYE RED!
    I would really love to see the next nexus device be sony with similar build quality and all the features the xperia z has. That would be a great device.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesnexus View Post
    My contract is up in June, and based on what I'm seeing my VZW bill will go up $40 a month if I upgrade, so I'm debating a switch too. Hopefully t-mobile carries the Z, but I could swallow AT&T too. Same for sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Hopefully t-mobile carries the Z, but I could swallow AT&T too. Same for sprint.
    I'll be absolutely shocked if T-Mobile or Sprint end up carrying it. AT&T will end up carrying the Z or the ZL.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    My contract is up in June, and based on what I'm seeing my VZW bill will go up $40 a month if I upgrade, so I'm debating a switch too. Hopefully t-mobile carries the Z, but I could swallow AT&T too. Same for sprint.
    Call around I know a 3rd party place around me that won't have me lose my unlimited and everything so you might have better luck there. Even could add someone to my line and he can do a workaround so I don't lose it. So its doable with the right place. Don't go to a Verizon store cause they won't even ask you.

Quote Originally Posted by JAStark27 View Post
    Call around I know a 3rd party place around me that won't have me lose my unlimited and everything so you might have better luck there. Even could add someone to my line and he can do a workaround so I don't lose it. So its doable with the right place. Don't go to a Verizon store cause they won't even ask you.

I think I'm just going to go month to month with a DNA until tmobile has some devices I want.

Quote Originally Posted by paul-c View Post
    I'll be absolutely shocked if T-Mobile or Sprint end up carrying it. AT&T will end up carrying the Z or the ZL.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA
    The only reason I think tmobile might is because of LTE. Sprints a long shot since it has the same issues as Verizon.

ATT is going to be it initially. Best case scenario for Verizon customers in my opinion is that Verizon comes out with some version of the Xperia Z/ZL in three to six months. Which is why I am afraid we will not see it, because Verizon will bet that people will be climbing all over each other for the Galaxy S4 and the iPhone 6. Of course given my Thunderbolt's On/Off button failed, and that my workaround was killed by the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade I have to choose a replacement now. My preference is to stay with an Android device, so there will be two phones I will consider: the Sony Xperia Z on ATT and the HTC M7/HTC One or whatever they end up calling it. Then there is also the Blackberry Z10. All three phones will be out next month.

Given I might be switching carriers I have considered T Mobile. T Mobile's coverage sucks, it clearly sucks outside of urban areas, and T Mobile has not given any hint or evidence that they are doing anything about it. It appears all they are doing is upgrading existing coverage for the most part. Still most of the time it could work for me, and then I could use my old clamshell phone on Verizon on a prepaid plan for calls when I am on the road in rural areas. As far as being able to use the Sony Xperia Z on T Mobile it does not look like that will be able to take advantage of T Mobile's LTE network which is using the 17000 Mhz band. Here is an article about T Mobile's LTE build out:

CES 2013: T-Mobile Places All Its Chips On LTE - Mobility -

Here are the specs for the different Sony Xperia Z models. Note that model number C6603 is the LTE capable model and it does not list 1700 in the LTE bands. You might be able to start with TMobile and use HSPA+ and move over to ATT once their LTE coverage is built out.

Sony Xperia Z - Full phone specifications

iPhone couldn't make glass panels work so why would Sony go down that road. Add's weight and they will crack.