I Thought Verizon LTE was suppose to be SOOOOOOO GREAT..WTF is this!!!

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Screenshot_2013-01-30-10-42-25.png

Screenshot_2013-01-30-10-41-20.png

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I live in Maine and even I get almost double your faster speed on LTE on a bad day, and some days I get as much as 3-4m down, 1m up. I will say the ping speeds are pretty darned good, though!

The top one is a screenshot of something around my average 3G speeds here, so something is very wrong. I think even the faster speed you've listed is within the bounds of 3G in more urban areas

Get thee to thy nearest Verizon store and have it checked out. I think your are somehow using eHRPD and not LTE, despite what your indicator may be telling you.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Try a few different test servers (Tools, Change Server). The one you're using may have an issue. I've seen drastic differences in speed tests depending on the test server. Also, keep in mind the closest one may not always be the fastest. The key is use a few different ones to get an average. If all else fails, sounds like a problem with the phone.

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Here are some things to test.
-turn off phone, remove sim, leave sim out for a while, put sim in, power up, test again
-compare it to another vz 4g phone in your area if available
- go to vz store compare your phone to their demo unit, if different, see rep for new sim or phone
Use the demo comparison if he/she tries to give you s@@t about your phone being OK. I used this method to get a new sim card.
Good Luck

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I consistently get 25-60 mbps down and 5-20 mbps up. I'm in Iowa on a GNex. The LTE functionality on the network is only a few months old, but speeds haven't degraded so far. On 3G it was usually 3-15mbps down and 1-5 mbps up.

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Those speeds are awful. Did you figure it out?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Thought it was just a fluke with the Network...decided to wait a day and come back to work and try it again today. (I work in the middle of NYC btw, Times Square) ... I really hope this is the phone (going to take it in today. I'm not paying 60$ for 2gb of Data and get this crap.

2013-01-31+09.04.58.png

2013-01-31+09.03.39.png

2013-01-31+09.03.30.png

Last edited:

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm out in long island. There's something wrong with your phone.

huskerdna

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359668973126.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359668973126.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 119

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Well I took my DNA to Verizon at lunch yesterday, and could not duplicate the speed situation at the store, my DNA was pulling 20MB down there...I showed them the screen shot, and all he could offer up was "It might be the tower, blah blah blah"

I go back to work and just out of curiosity I played with 3 of my Co-workers phones who also have VZ (1 iPhone 5, an S3 and a DInc4G) and they all get the same poor LTE results. No-one ever noticed it before because @ work our phones sit on Wifi from the time we come into the building to the time we leave. Once we leave out onto the street LTE returns to normal (right outside my building my DNA was pulling this, keep in mind this is right in Times Square). The only reason I found the problem was because I had accedently turned off my WIFI so it didn't auto connect when I came in, and it was when I was trying to upload something to Dropbox I noticed it was taking forever, and that I was on LTE instead of WIFI, but I was still perplexed as to why on LTE this is taking so long, and that's when I did the speed tests and got those horrible speeds. So it must be something with LTE in our building

But I'm still confused, Verizon LTE runs on 700mhz spectrum, that's excellent for building penetration, and as you notice I get perfect Verizon signal where I'm at.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like a classic last mile issue. Or in your case last tower. Just because the tower is transmitting on lte does not mean the data the tower is transmitting is reaching the tower quickly. Something in the towers processors could have an issue and be slowing these down.

I would report the issue to customer support with you specific location so they can better troubleshoot the specific tower.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I go back to work and just out of curiosity I played with 3 of my Co-workers phones who also have VZ (1 iPhone 5, an S3 and a DInc4G) and they all get the same poor LTE results. No-one ever noticed it before because @ work our phones sit on Wifi from the time we come into the building to the time we leave. Once we leave out onto the street LTE returns to normal

"Good building penetration" does not necessarily mean a clean signal, buildings cause interference and backscatter which can cause even a strong-looking signal to degrade.

Your original post implied that you got poor LTE speeds everywhere, not just inside a specific building. If others are able to reproduce the problem, as you say, then the problem is simple building interference. The only fix Verizon could possibly do for that is put up a new tower - and that ain't gonna happen, or your company could get an LTE-capable repeater.

Thankfully, you have WiFi to fall back on, and if you say you have plenty of bars the CDMA (voice/SMS) signal is probably penetrating just fine.

lennyj17

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I never gave any indication that my LTE problem was "Everywhere", but I did give (and rightly so) indication that "why is LTE, giving me 1X speeds", even on a fully loaded, congested LTE network, I don't expect speeds to dip below 3-5MB Down.

Again I had a full 5 bars of signal (notice the screen shot) so signal was penitrating the building just fine. We can all make crystal clear calls in our location in the building.

I'm just going to chalk this up to Tower/LTE issue, Like you said we have WIFI so this one area is of minimal impact, but still leaves me wondering.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad