Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By diesteldorf
  • 1 Post By Jude526
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ebay Phone/Sim/LTE/Upgrade question

Hey all...

I'm eligible to upgrade for the discounted price in mid-February. (I guess the actual contract end date is in June or something but they allow you to do it earlier...) I was really considering picking up the Note II, but if I do, I was told I'll lose my grandfathered in unlimited status. For the most part I don't mind losing it since I usually am often around wi-fi and unless I abuse the unlimited data, I am usually under 2GB per month.

I have purchased a few phones off ebay before just going from iOS to BB and finally to Android. I was curious if anyone knows if I were to get an LTE phone, such as the LG Spectrum, could I get a SIM card and activate it from the local corporate verizon store for free (most ebay phones don't have them included...) and not have it count as losing my unlimited status? I wanted to do this for multiple reasons:

1. This would be my first experience with LTE and I've heard most people often unintentionally use more data. This would allow me to get a feel for my personal usage without being afraid of running over my allowance.

2. I would be able to evaluate the LTE coverage. Campus/workplace are in a market with LTE, but home is about 15-20 miles out of the town LTE is in. It would be nice to know how often LTE would be available for me.

3. I know there are always new phones coming out, but if I could do this method to not use the discounted price offer until I absolutely had to for the latest and greatest phone, I'd prefer that route.

If anyone has any input or advice/recommendations, I'd appreciate hearing them.
    Thanks in advance...

Default Re: Ebay Phone/Sim/LTE/Upgrade question

Yes, if you buy a phone used from Ebay, Craigslist etc, you can get a sim for free and keep your unlimited data.
    Darth Spock likes this.

All SIM cards are free. Never charged

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Darth Spock likes this.

Go to a corporate store premium will charge for the sim card.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Sent From My Galaxy Nexus