Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help with porting # to different carrier

I'm on a verizon family plan with just 2 lines, but the contract ends on 3/28. I'm currently looking into Sprint for their unlimited data. I had a question about when I should order a phone and service from them and how to port just my 1 line over without paying an ETF. Should I order the phone before 3/28, on that day, or after?.. I'm not sure what happens on 3/28 when my contract ends.. whether it just shuts my service off or continues on a monthly basis.

I'm find waiting, just as long as I can port my number over without paying an ETF to Verizon. Can anyone help me out on what to do and how?

Thanks

Default Re: Help with porting # to different carrier

If it says contract end date is 3/28, that is the day you can port your number. Personally, I wouldn't even risk ordering a new phone until that day, or at least don't port your number until that day. If you don't do anything your Verizon account will continue as usual until you decide to change it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

You can order the phone whenever, just don't activate it and port the number before the contract end date. May also want to double check your current contact to see if you may have a diminishing ETF based on length of service (cant remember if Verizon has that). If not, it wouldn't hurt to call and ask if they can wave it since you're so close to the end anyway. Just make sure to document date and time of the call, the operator's name, and verify it's noted on your account if they agree to it.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
    If it says contract end date is 3/28, that is the day you can port your number. Personally, I wouldn't even risk ordering a new phone until that day, or at least don't port your number until that day. If you don't do anything your Verizon account will continue as usual until you decide to change it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    So my service will continue with Verizon after the 28th? Does that mean it'll go another 2 years or go month by month? If so then I'll just wait to order until after the 28th and have my number ported over (there won't be an ETF then right?)

The main reason I want to get away from Verizon is for a better price and unlimited data. I'm trying to decide between Sprint or Tmobile..

Ok. I just did this a few weeks ago and here's how it goes..... You can get the new phone and port the number at any time. Just don't cancel your Verizon plan until the 28th though to avoid the ETF. You can move the number to Sprint whenever, and as long as your Verizon account is active nothing bad will happen on your end. You must let them put a note on your account or set up your account for cancelation on the 28th. Call on the 28th and make sure it's done just to be certain. If you do not make sure it's canceled, it will automatically go to another billing cycle because they'll think you want to stay with them. They must hear from you that you want to cancel. If you let another billing cycle begin on the 29th, you will be responsible for paying another month of service. So don't be worried, you can port your number anytime you want and you're good as long as the Verizon account is active. The fact that you took your number will not affect you.

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

You're service will continue on a month to month basis. As far as sprint goes you'll want to wait until the 28th to make the move. It'll take sprint about a week or two to get your phone I would recommend using Google voice and use that instead. Get a Google voice number!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Sent From My Galaxy Nexus