Upgrade Confusion.

Faulk_Wulf

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I have tried to strip my anger/angst from this post as much as possible, but please disregard any emotion in this post and simple explain in simple non snarky tones why the situation I'm about to describe is the way it is. Thank you.

I went to Verizon today because my phone/line (BB Pearl) was eligible for an early upgrade. Since they have the buy-one-get-one deal on the original droid, and I have seen no reason to pick the Droid 2 over the original so far, I was talking to them about it.

Since my line was the one for upgrade and not the other phone/line (on the same account; purchased at the same time), which would have to wait until December, I paused and asked them what it would cost to take that free Droid and activate it, replacing the second line. They said "The cost of the device, $599".

Now. I tried to clarify with them, but I think I might have had a tone or something because I could seem their heckles raising a bit like cats, so I dropped it an left, but at anyrate here's my question/thing:

So, I buy "my phone" and upgrade. Done. I get the free phone, it's in my hand. I'm HOLDING THE UNACTIVATED PHONE. And all I want to do is replace the other line with the PHONE IN MY HAND. And it is *really* going to cost $599? Really? (I could carry out this part for a while, but I think you get the idea that I think this is borderline moronic if not damn near criminal.)

So. If someone can calmly and rationally explain this all out to me I would be grateful. Also, if that particular store was stupid, and what I want to do *can* be done (even for an extra "early upgrade fee", which I *would* expect) please let me know.

Hopefully, though not concise, this at least came out rational and fair. :p

PainKiller

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I thought you had to have two new contracts or two eligible upgrades to get the second phone even?

That's why the 599 fee, Im guessing, to keep you from skirting the upgrade scenario. Like I said above, if you could only get the BOGO free deal with eligible or new lines they wouldn't have to do that.

~ Transmitted via Motorola Droid ~

gmz73#AC

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
That was an eye opener. So if your second line is quite eligible for upgrade then you can't do the bogo deal. Seems that is only good for new customers. And I will never have to worry about it since none of my 3 lines are up at the same time. Sorry to hear about your frustration.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
How the bogo's work is they require 2 or more lines to be eligible for upgrade (or setting up for new activation) to work. It's not "buy one droid on contract, get another for a spare"

But rather "If you're getting 2 of these phones on contract, we'll throw in the second free if you upgrade them both today in our store."

early upgrades are typically only possible on primary lines with very few exceptions, so unless there was some special promotion going on, your other line will have to wait until it's normal upgrade date to get the phone.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
You could also add a line of service if you wanted to get a second Droid but then you are paying for that extra line over the next two years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz