LTE speeds

Bulkybear

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Quick but not so simple question. Went to the verizon store today to get a new sim card. While I was there I noticed I had full signal so I did a few speed tests. My minimum was 25mbps and my maximum was 42mbps. Same as on there demo phones. Thinking it was the sim card that did the trick I immediately ran speed tests at home, less than a mile from the store. I was getting my normal average of 6mbps. Highest of 12. Can anyone tell me why it was so much better at the store when I am so close to the store?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It may be possible that they are simply closer to the tower. Other variables could be the building you're in, traffic on your tower you use at home, etc. I've seen 4G speeds vary a lot in my travels, so your situation doesn't sound too out of the ordinary.

Bulkybear

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah those sound possible. I just wouldn't think less than a mile would make a difference. I was just wondering if anyone can confirm that the stores have something special to facilitate sales.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah those sound possible. I just wouldn't think less than a mile would make a difference. I was just wondering if anyone can confirm that the stores have something special to facilitate sales.

I am sure they have a repeater or signal amplifier in the store. I have noticed a lot of signal strength difference in 1 mile. Near my work, I get a really strong signal. 1 mile away I'm at -112.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2