1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Early upgrade for Droid X - what I did.

I called the number listed on promo fliers shown here

A very nice gentleman answered and I asked about early upgrade promotionals and that I'd like to get a Droid X.

A little background first. I'm new to Verizon. I signed up for a Droid 1 in November. I wasn't even eligible for annual upgrade. By all accounts I figured I'd be waiting a looong time to get upgrade on my line.

So I called in, told them I'd like to use an early upgrade promotional to get a DX, and the guy says "hold on just a moment". A moment passes, he gets back on the line and says "Sure". We proceed to set it up from there and I have a DX on order with a mail in rebate.

AT&T, Sprint, and Tmo never treated me this nice.
    Google didn't license "Droid" from Lucasarts, which makes the Moto Droid better than Nexus One.......

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

The number listed on that flier, is that Verizon telesales? Technically if you were the primary line you can upgrade yearly right. Glad to hear it was so easy. Enjoy the phone!
    Curve 8330 >>> Storm 9550 >>> HTC Incredible
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I wasn't eligible for early upgrade till November though
    Google didn't license "Droid" from Lucasarts, which makes the Moto Droid better than Nexus One.......

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

But you were still eligible in 2010 which I think is all that matters. My yearly is 1/22/2011
    Curve 8330 >>> Storm 9550 >>> HTC Incredible

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gmz73 View Post
    But you were still eligible in 2010 which I think is all that matters. My yearly is 1/22/2011
    There are several ways to get phones at subsidized price. Just gotta call CS.
    Last edited by dragozoid; 07-30-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Shoulda tried this before paying retail lol
    Last edited by droidmaster2232; 07-29-2010 at 01:09 AM.

Better reply than what I just got from Verizon's customer service.

Two-days ago, I wrote a very flowery letter asking if I could go a few months early on my plant (eligible 12/2/10) and update to a Droid X from a BB Tour. (Understand, it is very hard for me to write anyone a nice letter, so it took a while. )

I explained how in the middle of my current contract, I purchased a BB Tour for full price, and how the software updates from RIM had caused me great problems; in that I had to go back to 4.7 after each upgrade. I also explained I knew when I would be eligible for a new upgrade, and even mentioned that regardless of the answer, I would not be upset with Verizon. (Almost made me sick being so nice.)

The reply was not just a NO, but a full explanation on how I have a contract to fulfill, I was not eligible until Dec 2, 2010 for an upgrade (something I had noted myself in the original message), but I could pay full retail for any phone, so long as it fell under my current plan.

In other words, it was a cut and paste job, and "Ron" did not even read my original message.

Needless to say, my reply to "Ron," was not flowery, and I made a note to state that even if my upgrade was in Dec. I would now be looking at April 2011, when I am out of the existing contract and will be able to upgrade to a phone by another supplier.

Strange how different CS reps can have different replies. I will also add, I started with Verizon around 2002/2003 in TN, then kept them when I moved to MI, and still have them now that I live in UT.

I have a similar story about verizon no being so helpful. I am currently on my parents plan as an add a line for 10 bucks, just a regular phone, no data. So when the X came out I wanted to move off of thier plan and start a new family plan with my girlfriend and both have data plans which would make my bill around 160....I was told that my contract for my added line on my parents plan doesn't end till June of 2011 so I would have to pay a cancelation fee of 125 for both her phone and mine and then I would get the subsidized price. SO instead of letting me have the subsidized price and pay an extra 150 a month they would rather me pay 10 a month till June then move to sprint.

Global Posts
    2,753 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

From vzw's D2 press release:

In addition, current Verizon Wireless customers who have contracts ending by December 31, 2010, can upgrade to any smartphone, including DROID 2, without penalty.

Only if you don't have a smartphone already. They forgot to mention that part.
    Verizon Moto X - Stock

Global Posts
    6,684 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I wasnt eligible for an upgrade til 6/10/11 but they still let me upgrade to the DX which I currently now have. I just suddenly was getting text messages saying I could upgrade. When I checked the web site it said I wasn't eligible tho ,but I actually was able to ,lol.

Now the website says I am eligible again in 5 months (same line I just upgraded to the DX on) which would not make sense either but I wont need to anyhoo

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    I wasnt eligible for an upgrade til 6/10/11 but they still let me upgrade to the DX which I currently now have. I just suddenly was getting text messages saying I could upgrade. When I checked the web site it said I wasn't eligible tho ,but I actually was able to ,lol.

Now the website says I am eligible again in 5 months (same line I just upgraded to the DX on) which would not make sense either but I wont need to anyhoo
    Similar situation for me.

I wasn't eligible for upgrade till January 2011 so I added a line to get an X but CS cancelled the line for me and let me keep the phone. So I basically got the X for $200 off contract - not to mention a few weeks later I sold my D1 for $240.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

There's definitely gotta be more at play than VZW wanting to "be cool". There had to be some meeting somewhere that went along the lines of "Android is good for us, we need to get these into as many hands as possible". Some sort of strategy is at play here for certain.

With Google and VZ being bedfellows recently.....