best phone

TC Edwards

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on the thunderbolt and it's dying slowly. I want to keep my unlimited plan, so I have to buy a slightly used (or new) phone... but $200 is my budget. What is the best phone I can get for my budget. Reception signal and battery life are my priorities, followed by a good camera.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest the galaxy nexus. You should be able to get a near perfect condition one for under 200. You can then get the oem extended battery to make it last a little longer. I was very happy with it and only switched phones because of my addiction. You also get the benefit of fairly new version of android, probably the best you will get sub 200.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest the galaxy nexus. You should be able to get a near perfect condition one for under 200.
GNex or the Rezound are the best options for a $200 budget. I have a GNex, didn't like the Rezound, too thick and heavy and a very reflective glass screen.

IYou can then get the oem extended battery to make it last a little longer.
It only lasts a little longer and I am finding after the JB update, even the extended battery barely gets me through the day if I am on the phone a lot.

TC Edwards

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I just bought a Nexus 7, so I'm not interested in anything as big as the Note. I'm leaning towards the Galaxy Nexus, since the S3 is my dream phone and the GNex might be the next best thing. I just need to check on the reception....I live in the woods!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. I just bought a Nexus 7, so I'm not interested in anything as big as the Note. I'm leaning towards the Galaxy Nexus, since the S3 is my dream phone and the GNex might be the next best thing. I just need to check on the reception....I live in the woods!

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
My reception on my GNex has been great since the JB update. If you have a Nexus 7 and an unlimited data plan, then you for sure want the GNex so you can tether the Nexus 7 to your GNex via WiFi for free.

I am unlocked and rooted and use Switchpro Widget to tether my laptop via WiFi. It is sooooo convenient!

The only downside to the GNex is the battery life, which unfortunately sucks. I have 2 extended batteries and a cradle charger so I have a backup battery if I use my phone a lot during the day. If I am in the car, I make sure to charge it while driving.

If you are going to get a case for your GNex, and I highly recommend that you do since it is a slippery little sucker, many cases don't fit the extended battery. The Diztronic does and it is my favorite.

TC Edwards

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
My reception on my GNex has been great since the JB update. If you have a Nexus 7 and an unlimited data plan, then you for sure want the GNex so you can tether the Nexus 7 to your GNex via WiFi for free.

I am unlocked and rooted and use Switchpro Widget to tether my laptop via WiFi. It is sooooo convenient!

The only downside to the GNex is the battery life, which unfortunately sucks. I have 2 extended batteries and a cradle charger so I have a backup battery if I use my phone a lot during the day. If I am in the car, I make sure to charge it while driving.

If you are going to get a case for your GNex, and I highly recommend that you do since it is a slippery little sucker, many cases don't fit the extended battery. The Diztronic does and it is my favorite.

thanks! That was superhelpful. . Off to craislist and throw marketplace I go!

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
How did you get the jb update on cdma gnexus? My gf has it and still on ics.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

TC Edwards

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
With the S4 coming out next week, do you guys think the price on the S3 will drop significantly (like $250-200)? I'm pretty close to buying a Nexus but if the price is good on an S3 and maybe the battery life is better...

Last edited:

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
With the S4 coming out next week, do you guys think the price on the S4 will drop significantly (like $250-200)? I'm pretty close to buying a Nexus but if the price is good on an S4 and maybe the battery life is better...

The one thing I HATE about my GNex is the battery life. Since this was one of your main criteria, it doesn't sound like the phone for you. Maybe look into the RAZR or RAZR HD. Possibly out of your price range still, though. I heard the camera isn't the best either though.
The GS3, I would imagine, should come down in price once the GS4 is released.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
With the S4 coming out next week, do you guys think the price on the S4 will drop significantly (like $250-200)? I'm pretty close to buying a Nexus but if the price is good on an S4 and maybe the battery life is better...
I think you mean the price on the S3. Typically, that does happen when a newer model comes out. The battery life on the GNex sucks, but I always have a spare battery in the charger so I am fine with it.

TC Edwards

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I think you mean the price on the S3. Typically, that does happen when a newer model comes out. The battery life on the GNex sucks, but I always have a spare battery in the charger so I am fine with it.
Yep, total typo...trying to figure out if I could swing an S3...but the battery on the Nexus can't be worse than the Thunderbolt... I'd probably be fine.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yep, total typo...trying to figure out if I could swing an S3...but the battery on the Nexus can't be worse than the Thunderbolt... I'd probably be fine.

I've heard horrible things about the signal strength on the Galaxy Nexus though. Consider that first and foremost.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I've heard horrible things about the signal strength on the Galaxy Nexus though. Consider that first and foremost.
The data signal strength of the GNex in areas where 4G LTE was weak was a problem for me until 4.1.1. Whatever they did with the 4.1.1 radios was an improvement for my phone. 4.2.2 will be out soon and it has new radios, too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad