And the wiener is.... VERIZON!!!

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
Today, after over a decade, Verizon lost me as a customer. Along with my five lines and expensive unlimited plans. Through a collections agency (ERS) they harassed, lied, and stole money from my mother (who has never been a VZW customer or on my plan). And for the past three weeks I've been trying to work with them on it but in the end Vzw doesn't care.

The story..

- One day VZW/ERS decided I had had another plan, with Alltel, in another state, for over ten years as well. And that just a few months ago I stopped paying the bill. So they came after me.

- I had no such plan, didn't live anywhere close ever, nothing of the such ever showed up on my credit report, etc.

- They said they'd send information so I could file a police report.

- EDIT: Forgot to mention that Verizon wouldn't let me change phones, add a line, change plans, features, buy ringback tones, NOTHING until this was resolved which they told me ever-so-kindly could ONLY be done through ERS.

- The next day, fairly late at night, somebody from ERS called and harassed my mother in Florida and eventually through blatant lies convinced her that she could pay to avoid something bad happening to her son (me) and she could get a refund if it was a false claim (from Verizon). (Mom understands better now.)

- Upon hearing about this Vzw was all to happy to help me through their fraud department. And by help I mean open and re-open the issue, have me waste time going through the whole thing again, and then ignoring me. ERS wouldn't even stay on the line of course.

- A few non-sensical snail-mails later there was yet another ERS claim on an Alltel line in my name and they were no only calling me but my brother, mother, uncle, and my in-laws. Once again a number, address, etc. that had nothing ever to do with me or my proximity. On top of that this one, through Google Maps, was an address to a liquor store that had been out of business for at least three years but according to ERS had been paying bills for years and years until just a few months ago. Under my name. Suuuuureeeee....

So now I have two police reports filed, my lawyer involved, AMEX involved, and everybody BUT Verizon and ERS are helping. The best part so far? These mysterious lines that were paid in full until recently? All payments by CC supposedly also under my name and SS# but no record of the last four-digits, where (online? in-store?), or any sign of them on my Credit Report.

And this morning? Another call from ERS claiming YET ANOTHER line that has been open for _thirteen_ years under my name.

</end_rant>

After three weeks and no end in sight the performance of Verizon's network can't make up for the sh*t waste of time this has caused me. C'ya! -Pk

Last edited:

mrjam3s

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this will help or not....

Something similar happened to me with a home security company.....what worked for me was contacting my state Attorney General's office and they took care of it for me. I think I even got an apology letter.

-mrjam3s

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
Something similar happened to me with a home security company.....what worked for me was contacting my state Attorney General's office and they took care of it for me. I think I even got an apology letter.

That is actually very good advice and my AG, who is also running for Governor, is already involved. However the call this morning sent me full tilt so I canceled. I already had to get a line with Tmo a few weeks ago to replace one of the fault phones w/ VZW because they wouldn't help me in any way due to this issue.

Thanks, -Pk

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
Wow...how in the hell did all this go down for so long?

Lets assume the first line was real and under my name. How did it get paid? How come it never shows up on a credit report? (I have copies of mine since 2001.) How come they can't find the actual details of the payments? Etc.

At first I just assumed it was a mistake and an overzealous collections agency. And I really thought Verizon would jump all over it and it'd be over.

It's become clear in the past three weeks Verizon doesn't care.

At this point THREE lines being claimed? All at different locations and addresses and no business account? Uh huh. Makes plenty of sense. And when Verizon tries to pawn it off on Alltel that doesn't float for me either.

The bottom line, and why I decided not to wait any longer, was that Verizon demonstrated little to no effort in even caring that I could no longer effectively do business with them because of this. Not just that money has been lost but their system wouldn't let me do anything useful, like buy new services or devices or even accessories, until this was resolved.

OK OK.. I really must have needed to get this off my mind today. For three weeks I've been polite and patient and now I'm torqued. *deep breaths* -Pk

mr.saving

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Lets assume the first line was real and under my name. How did it get paid? How come it never shows up on a credit report? (I have copies of mine since 2001.) How come they can't find the actual details of the payments? Etc.

At first I just assumed it was a mistake and an overzealous collections agency. And I really thought Verizon would jump all over it and it'd be over.

It's become clear in the past three weeks Verizon doesn't care.

At this point THREE lines being claimed? All at different locations and addresses and no business account? Uh huh. Makes plenty of sense. And when Verizon tries to pawn it off on Alltel that doesn't float for me either.

The bottom line, and why I decided not to wait any longer, was that Verizon demonstrated little to no effort in even caring that I could no longer effectively do business with them because of this. Not just that money has been lost but their system wouldn't let me do anything useful, like buy new services or devices or even accessories, until this was resolved.

OK OK.. I really must have needed to get this off my mind today. For three weeks I've been polite and patient and now I'm torqued. *deep breaths* -Pk

Ya,that sucks bro. I hope you get it settled

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I just got my parents to switch from Verizon to Sprint because of their prices and practices. They had a Verizon family plan with 3 lines with 700 minutes, and I think the unlimited texts. They were paying $155 a month. They wanted to upgrade to 3 Droids, but Verizon wanted another $90 a month for the data add-ons. I have had Sprint for 12 years and told them about the 1500 unlimited family plan through Sprint. They pretty much decide it was worth it to switch, but wanted me to call Verizon to see if they would do anything to keep their service. Well, apparently Verizon has no retentions department. The woman I got on the phone was incredibly rude and unhelpful when I explained the situation. She basically tried to sell me on Verizon's service, and when I informed her of Sprints roaming agreement with Verizon, her response was, "well that just shows you we have better service." Why would I pay twice the amount for the same service, I ask her. Our conversation quickly broke down from there to her repeating that Verizon does not price match.

I wish I had asked for a supervisor. I guess that's what happens when you're on top, and that's how you drop to the bottom. 3 more lines just ported to Sprint.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I just got my parents to switch from Verizon to Sprint because of their prices and practices. They had a Verizon family plan with 3 lines with 700 minutes, and I think the unlimited texts. They were paying $155 a month. They wanted to upgrade to 3 Droids, but Verizon wanted another $90 a month for the data add-ons. I have had Sprint for 12 years and told them about the 1500 unlimited family plan through Sprint. They pretty much decide it was worth it to switch, but wanted me to call Verizon to see if they would do anything to keep their service. Well, apparently Verizon has no retentions department. The woman I got on the phone was incredibly rude and unhelpful when I explained the situation. She basically tried to sell me on Verizon's service, and when I informed her of Sprints roaming agreement with Verizon, her response was, "well that just shows you we have better service." Why would I pay twice the amount for the same service, I ask her. Our conversation quickly broke down from there to her repeating that Verizon does not price match.

I wish I had asked for a supervisor. I guess that's what happens when you're on top, and that's how you drop to the bottom. 3 more lines just ported to Sprint.

They do have a retentions department, but the only thing they can offer is to give you a lower minute plan, or a one time credit. They don't suddenly make plans cheaper. It broke down because they can't just say "if you think that is a better value, then I'm sorry to see you go, was there anything else?" and fyi: asking "why should I pay more" is asking to be stonewalled. Nothing a customer service rep could say to that is allowed by their guide beyond them talking about verizon's coverage (what it sounds like she gave you). The "if you call in and threaten to cancel, you get a discount" myth doesn't really work, not even for Sprint or other companies.

Sprint has roaming agreements with verizon, but most of them (unless you are in an alltel area) are voice only, and your sprint contract also has some pretty specific limits on how much data you can consume while roaming. Not trying to knock the service, I know it's great for a lot of people (more people than those that have it even) but the "we just roam off verizon, so we have their coverage" argument isn't really accurate and it does tend to piss reps off and make them less willing to deal with you.

And three lines with unlimited texts and 700 minutes is 109.99, even with tax they either had some addons or were paying overages somewhere. But if sprint gives them great coverage, I hope they're happy with it. I'm not trying to tell you to port them back or anything, just trying to give you some insight into maybe why your interaction was the way it was. Are they going for Evo's? or are they getting the Moment/Hero?

Last edited:

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
They do have a retentions department, but the only thing they can offer is to give you a lower minute plan, or a one time credit. They don't suddenly make plans cheaper. It broke down because they can't just say "if you think that is a better value, then I'm sorry to see you go, was there anything else?" and fyi: asking "why should I pay more" is asking to be stonewalled. Nothing a customer service rep could say to that is allowed by their guide beyond them talking about verizon's coverage (what it sounds like she gave you). The "if you call in and threaten to cancel, you get a discount" myth doesn't really work, not even for Sprint or other companies.

Sprint has roaming agreements with verizon, but most of them (unless you are in an alltel area) are voice only, and your sprint contract also has some pretty specific limits on how much data you can consume while roaming. Not trying to knock the service, I know it's great for a lot of people (more people than those that have it even) but the "we just roam off verizon, so we have their coverage" argument isn't really accurate and it does tend to piss reps off and make them less willing to deal with you.

And three lines with unlimited texts and 700 minutes is 109.99, even with tax they either had some addons or were paying overages somewhere. But if sprint gives them great coverage, I hope they're happy with it. I'm not trying to tell you to port them back or anything, just trying to give you some insight into maybe why your interaction was the way it was. Are they going for Evo's? or are they getting the Moment/Hero?

I wasn't really threatening, and the conversation started civilly, but went downhill quickly. I was just asking if there was any way to wave any of the charges for longtime customers. I wasn't really expecting much considering the pricing differences between the companies, but I felt I needed to try. I will add that she got nasty with me before I threw out the "why should I pay your prices for the same service." I little childish? Maybe, but she was pushing me and it made me feel better. By the middle of the conversation she wouldn't even answer my questions. Plus, I would think that they would push you over to retentions one way or the other to at least try to keep your business.

I think they had some kind of $15 internet add-on on one line and they had insurance on all 3 phones, which was pointless considering 2 of them were freebie dumb phones. My sister got the EVO, and my parents got Moments. My mother wanted a keyboard and my father figured he might as well get the same phone in case something happens. I'm not looking foward to teaching them how they work.

I understand there are some restrictions to roaming, but they are hard to hit if you live in any type of populated area. I travel all over the country for work, and I very rarely have any type of problem with Sprint service. Sprint's signal is actually better in my parents house then Verizon. Add that in with Sprint phenomenal data network and a plan that just doubled their minutes and gives truly unlimited data for the same price they are paying now, and I think they will be happy.

Don't want you to misunderstand, I'm not arguing either, just throwing all the info out there. I still don't quite understand why more people aren't fleeing to Sprint for pricing alone.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
If a customer is asking about waived fees, it's kinda pointless for them to get pushed over to retentions. in the end, the customer will leave anyway, and they'll have wasted a good hour or so more of their time talking to another rep. Grumpy reps are never fun, thankfully I never had to work in customer service. But you got to think that most of the time when someone is calling up about something it's because they have a problem with something (bill, product, price) and the idiots known as media like telling everyone that if you yell at CS you get your way. Even in a store, I would literally have people come into the store screaming at me to give them some special deal. Since I was an indirect, I got to tell them to kindly calm down or leave the store and never come back, but corp/CS can't do that. So even if you are the perfect customer, you're most likely following a string of really nasty ones. Side note: This is why everyone should be required to work in retail/waitressing/customer service for a few years. People would be nicer if they saw the other side of the counter.

They're not going to sprint for a two prime reasons (IMO):

1: Sprint has the reputation for inferior service and customer service (at lot of this having to do with the Nextel merger). They've improved dramatically on both counts, but they never advertise it, so people still think of them as the cheap (as in inferior) carrier. A LOT of people still have fresh memories of poor experiences with Sprint/Nextel.
2: Sprints marketing/advertising department is TERRIBLE right now. Their pricing is great, but up until the Evo launch it was pretty much ALL they advertised about themselves. If you have the reputation of being an "inferior" carrier, saying your cheaper will reinforce that stereotype while not being that effective to boot. Customers care about price, but only if they think everything else is close to equal. Notice that the Evo launch, their first real push of marketing on something other than price, coincided with their first quarter in a LONG time where they actually gained post paid customers.

Sprint did a lot to improve their network and customer relations, now they need to market the hell out of both. Until they do, all their cheaper prices look to most customers is "we have an inferior network, so we'll give you a break on the price." Sprint needs to improve their image before they can start really selling themselves as a great value.

Last edited:

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
Leaving Verizon was a really hard decision regardless of pricing and it really took three weeks of what I consider blatant I don't give a **** and fraud to push me over the edge. In my line of work I've used any and every carrier early and often and all over the world. In the end things _just worked_ with Verizon and NTT (Japan). It didn't matter where I went, what buildings I was in, what time of day, how big a hurricane hit, if I was tripping in Tokyo, or if BP crapped in my yard... phones with those two always worked. Period.

That is why I kept my primary lines with Verizon for as long as I did.

With that said... I'm not regretting now as I would have a few years ago for two big reasons:

1) WiFi is my main means of communication on the road now. Coverage basically being universal within reason and security limitations.

2) With the money I saved moving over to Tmo I covered most of my Christmas shopping. ;-)

-Pk

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
If a customer is asking about waived fees, it's kinda pointless for them to get pushed over to retentions. in the end, the customer will leave anyway, and they'll have wasted a good hour or so more of their time talking to another rep. Grumpy reps are never fun, thankfully I never had to work in customer service. But you got to think that most of the time when someone is calling up about something it's because they have a problem with something (bill, product, price) and the idiots known as media like telling everyone that if you yell at CS you get your way. Even in a store, I would literally have people come into the store screaming at me to give them some special deal. Since I was an indirect, I got to tell them to kindly calm down or leave the store and never come back, but corp/CS can't do that. So even if you are the perfect customer, you're most likely following a string of really nasty ones. Side note: This is why everyone should be required to work in retail/waitressing/customer service for a few years. People would be nicer if they saw the other side of the counter.

They're not going to sprint for a two prime reasons (IMO):

1: Sprint has the reputation for inferior service and customer service (at lot of this having to do with the Nextel merger). They've improved dramatically on both counts, but they never advertise it, so people still think of them as the cheap (as in inferior) carrier. A LOT of people still have fresh memories of poor experiences with Sprint/Nextel.
2: Sprints marketing/advertising department is TERRIBLE right now. Their pricing is great, but up until the Evo launch it was pretty much ALL they advertised about themselves. If you have the reputation of being an "inferior" carrier, saying your cheaper will reinforce that stereotype while not being that effective to boot. Customers care about price, but only if they think everything else is close to equal. Notice that the Evo launch, their first real push of marketing on something other than price, coincided with their first quarter in a LONG time where they actually gained post paid customers.

Sprint did a lot to improve their network and customer relations, now they need to market the hell out of both. Until they do, all their cheaper prices look to most customers is "we have an inferior network, so we'll give you a break on the price." Sprint needs to improve their image before they can start really selling themselves as a great value.

I did work in customer service for many years, so I understand your point. I just wasn't very pleased with how I was handled, and surprised that there was no offer of anything to try to get me to stay. Any little thing may help with some customers.

I completely agree with you on the advertising front. Sprint really needs to start pumping some money into this. I've seen the now network commercials for a while, but they're not widespread enough.

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I still don't quite understand why more people aren't fleeing to Sprint for pricing alone.

Ummm...coverage? Here in H-town, Sprint coverage is awful at best. I had a work issued Sprint BlackBerry that was barely usable (no bars in more places!). I mostly ended up using my personal AT&T BlackBerry to handle most things.
For my personal use, I've now switched from AT&T to VZW again for coverage. I've started going to a new out of the way place regularly and AT&T doesn't while VZW does. Sprint doesn't either.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Ummm...coverage? Here in H-town, Sprint coverage is awful at best. I had a work issued Sprint BlackBerry that was barely usable (no bars in more places!). I mostly ended up using my personal AT&T BlackBerry to handle most things.
For my personal use, I've now switched from AT&T to VZW again for coverage. I've started going to a new out of the way place regularly and AT&T doesn't while VZW does. Sprint doesn't either.

I've never been to Houston, so I can't comment from experience, but I was actually just reading a post on Android Forums that says the exact opposite. Everything I read, barring one or two strays, says that Houston is completely covered and the way to go in Houston. Again, I have no personal experience. I know there are places where their service sucks, but I travel extensively and have never had a problem, especially with free roaming for the rare no service occurrence. That is why I always say pick your carrier first.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site

You must live in some hole in Houston because I've been with Sprint here for the last 5 or 6 years and get great coverage from the NW end of town to the SW end. I have 4g almost everywhere I personally go here in Houston.

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
UPDATE: Another three weeks of back-and-forth and some engagement from the State AG and Verizon.........

...wait for it...

Called me up to let me know they never actually processed my original complaint and were wondering how they could help. At which point I patiently went over everything again, faxed pages of background over, copies of emails between VZW and myself, etc.

Almost two months since and nothing but further harassment from VZW robocallers and their agents. Follow-up calls to Verizon from an attorney have gotten a lot of apologies and promises but no actual actions yet. -Pk

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I recently had an issue with VZW service. My original phone stopped working properly and then I got a string of bad replacements. I was on my 5th replacement within 2 months (most of them working for only a few days) and getting ready to switch to someone else as no one I talked to on the phone offered anything but another replacement. I tried to get them to send me something else as I was tired of replacements, but was only given the option of paying for a replacement. Found a customer service email address and sent an email off. Someone called Friday and left a voicemail, then called back today and solved all of my complaints that I had over the past month with customer service (people said they'd call back but didn't, had bad info listed on my account that shouldn't have been there) and I'll be getting a new phone tomorrow. Try sending an email to HQExec.Relations@verizonwireless.com with all of the background and the issues you've had and you may be able to get this settled.