Researching my next VERIZON smartphone....

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm posting this here to get opinions on several verizon phones I'm researching. I currently have the Rezound, which is a decent phone. I also have a price limit $199.00 or less, for two phones. my wife will not get anything different than what I get, so whatever I decide, is what she gets. AND we upgrade on the exact same day (last part of July). so far, I've narrowed my search to Razr Maxx HD, Note 2, or S3. I'm really looking for opinions on those three phones from people who have them, and have real life usage. My biggest priority is battery life, I don't really care about display or pixels, etc. next is viability....i.e will the phone be relevant 6 months after I get it. also, how much does RAM play a part in phone performance? the Razr Maxx HD has everything I want, but 1GB of RAM seems so outdated...but I could be wrong. I just want the most phone for my money, and I don't want to have buyers remorse two weeks after I make my purchases. thanks for any input in advance.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the Note2. Battery life is amazing but like anything depends on use. I can get thru the entire day. It is my only phone so I do charge nightly. But I am never worried about not having juice. Everything this device has and does made me choose it. I have small hands but was easy to get accustomed to. I love the s pen. Camera is decent. Call quality is pure. I also have favorite CD's on it and I listen to Pandora. Sounds awesome whether alone or hooked to my jambox or car auxiliary.
Go to the store and play with your choices. Good luck

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm posting this here to get opinions on several verizon phones I'm researching. I currently have the Rezound, which is a decent phone. I also have a price limit $199.00 or less, for two phones. my wife will not get anything different than what I get, so whatever I decide, is what she gets. AND we upgrade on the exact same day (last part of July). so far, I've narrowed my search to Razr Maxx HD, Note 2, or S3. I'm really looking for opinions on those three phones from people who have them, and have real life usage. My biggest priority is battery life, I don't really care about display or pixels, etc. next is viability....i.e will the phone be relevant 6 months after I get it. also, how much does RAM play a part in phone performance? the Razr Maxx HD has everything I want, but 1GB of RAM seems so outdated...but I could be wrong. I just want the most phone for my money, and I don't want to have buyers remorse two weeks after I make my purchases. thanks for any input in advance.

If you have time to wait i would wait for the S4 or get a Note2 if you want a bigger screen. Moto phone support lacks a little bit if you want the newest updates. Samsung is a good OEM and HTC seems to be pretty good as well. Your best option is to go to the store and play with each device if you need one at this very moment. if it was me I would settle with a Note 2. But I like sammy devices for the most part. You plan to root at all? If so you want some good ROM support and sammy devices seem to have that as well. Not that moto doesn't but its a toss up.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
If you have time to wait i would wait for the S4 or get a Note2 if you want a bigger screen. Moto phone support lacks a little bit if you want the newest updates. Samsung is a good OEM and HTC seems to be pretty good as well. Your best option is to go to the store and play with each device if you need one at this very moment. if it was me I would settle with a Note 2. But I like sammy devices for the most part. You plan to root at all? If so you want some good ROM support and sammy devices seem to have that as well. Not that moto doesn't but its a toss up.

my upgrade is late July, so I do have time. the S4 is very nice, but i've never been one to have to have the newest device. assuming that the S4 will retail @ $299.99, it's way out of my range. best case scenario is that the Note 2 would drop another $50 between now and then (amazon wireless). however, if I can get the most phone for less than that, then of course, that would be the smart thing to do. the S3 and Razr Maxx HD are running neck and neck with me, but like I said, the Note 2 could squash all of that with a timely price drop.

and no, I hadn't considered rooting, but I'm open to the option.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
my upgrade is late July, so I do have time. the S4 is very nice, but i've never been one to have to have the newest device. assuming that the S4 will retail @ $299.99, it's way out of my range. best case scenario is that the Note 2 would drop another $50 between now and then (amazon wireless). however, if I can get the most phone for less than that, then of course, that would be the smart thing to do. the S3 and Razr Maxx HD are running neck and neck with me, but like I said, the Note 2 could squash all of that with a timely price drop.

and no, I hadn't considered rooting, but I'm open to the option.

By late July the note will have seen a price drop I bet. But still keep your eyes peeled for good deals! Also if you call Verizon they may give you your upgrade early if you call and ask nicely. Then you could buy a newer phone if they have a deal of a life time.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely going to try to upgrade early. 4th of July is my target. There will probably be some good deals going on then. Also, I'm counting on the announcement of the note 3 to push the price of the note 2 down.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Android Central Forums

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
If battery life is your primary concern, then the Note 2 can't be beat! Most average at least 5-6 hours of screen on time (even when always on LTE) or on light use you can go days between charges. Add in the option of a spare battery and the S-Pen and it's game over man! :p The Note 2 also appears to have better cell/data signal coverage than most other Verizon phones. Also don't be concerned about the size. It's something you adjust to quickly and once you do it's quite surreal how it changes your outlook on smaller phones. I still have my old Thunderbolt and now anytime I break it out, the first thought is: Wow, that thing looks so small. How did I ever use something that small! :p

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
If battery life is your primary concern, then the Note 2 can't be beat! Most average at least 5-6 hours of screen on time (even when always on LTE) or on light use you can go days between charges. Add in the option of a spare battery and the S-Pen and it's game over man! :p The Note 2 also appears to have better cell/data signal coverage than most other Verizon phones. Also don't be concerned about the size. It's something you adjust to quickly and once you do it's quite surreal how it changes your outlook on smaller phones. I still have my old Thunderbolt and now anytime I break it out, the first thought is: Wow, that thing looks so small. How did I ever use something that small! :p

former tbolt owner here too.I know several people with the note 2 already, and I have played with all my phone choices in the local big red store. it's not too big, I wear pleated slacks most days, and it fits easily. my primary issue with it is the money, even though my limit is $199 (which is where it is now on amazon wireless). if I can save a bit, I would like to do so.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
yes, that's the upper price limit. with that in place, I should be able to get just about any phone I want outside of the newest ones at that time.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
New maxx hd owner here, love the device and the battery is amazing. Came over from an iPhone 4 and will not look back.

how is the performance of the phone overall? I'm drooling over the battery life, but not sure about much else. the consensus I'm finding on the web is nice phone, but not a "head turner". I'm assuming it's solid, but not too flashy.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Honestly when i first saw it i was not all that wowed by it, but the note was just a tad to big for me. I do like the carbon fiber backing of the maxx hd.Being my first android OS phone it is very snappy to me. I did have some issues at first with 4g coming and going but those have long passed. But like you i researched and i was between the S3 and this one. The battery life and memory size is what sent me in the direction i went.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I should add that like you i researched, read reviews and for the first time I did not buy because it was the hot seller or flashy looking phone. yes the rmhd looks boxy but as a first timer it works for me.... I regret ever buying that darn iPhone...

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I should add that like you i researched, read reviews and for the first time I did not buy because it was the hot seller or flashy looking phone. yes the rmhd looks boxy but as a first timer it works for me.... I regret ever buying that darn iPhone...

I'm still on the fence, almost to the point of obsession. I've watched so many reviews on the S3, maxx HD, and the Note 2 that I feel I couldn't go wrong with any of the three. the S3 has EVERYTHING that I want except battery life, and I may be making a mountain out of a molehill on that front. being a former Tbolt owner and current Rezound owner, I'm wanting a big leap on battery life. Samsung has promised updates to the S3 that will basically keep it relevant for at least the next two years, so if I can confirm that the battery life is "OK", then I may have made my decision. from what i can tell, the Motorola X should be a beast of a phone, but again, out of my price range. I'm assuming the Note 2 will drop in price, but it may not.

personally, the Maxx HD is actually a good looking phone. however, I will be getting the Seidio Active case no matter what phone I get, so looks aren't really a high priority for me. thanks for the input.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
If your biggest priority is battery life, then you want the Razr Maxx HD or the GNote 2.

yes it is, but I may be jaded due to owning a Tbolt for about a year, and now the Rezound for the last five months. both are battery hogs, and I'm big on streaming videos and gaming when at work on breaks or lunch. is it any coincidence that both of these are HTC phones?

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
is it any coincidence that both of these are HTC phones?
My Samsung GNex has a sucky battery. I think it has to do with 4G LTE phones + increased features in the OS requiring a lot of power. Thus, you need a larger battery to power them. Razr Maxx HD and GNote 2 have larger batteries.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
My Samsung GNex has a sucky battery. I think it has to do with 4G LTE phones + increased features in the OS requiring a lot of power. Thus, you need a larger battery to power them. Razr Maxx HD and GNote 2 have larger batteries.

I appreciate the feedback on the GS3. after almost another full day of researching that topic, I'm convinced that I should PROBABLY steer clear of it, despite the beautiful specs. however, I have heard a rumor that Samsung may be re-issuing the GS3 with a larger battery. that really doesn't make sense with the GS4 coming out very soon, the Note 2 still selling very well, and the Note 3 on the horizon. so now, maybe I'm down to the N2 and the Maxx HD.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate the feedback on the GS3. after almost another full day of researching that topic, I'm convinced that I should PROBABLY steer clear of it, despite the beautiful specs. however, I have heard a rumor that Samsung may be re-issuing the GS3 with a larger battery. that really doesn't make sense with the GS4 coming out very soon, the Note 2 still selling very well, and the Note 3 on the horizon. so now, maybe I'm down to the N2 and the Maxx HD.
I had heard they were going to put out a somewhat larger battery for the SIII. A battery somewhat like the S4 will have when it comes out. I guess by the time that happens I will have the S4 and not waste my money on a new battery for my S3 to just sit on the self in the closet. Battery life on the Maxx HD is the best around, can't be beat and if you find 2@$199.00 I think you would be doing yourself well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power