Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon Messages App -- Any users?

Wasn't sure exactly where to post this, but I figure since it's a Verizon app, I'd start here...

I've been using the Verizon Messages app for quite some time and have really liked it. I don't need all the bells and whistles some of the other 3rd party messaging apps, and found that the Verizon app worked really well for doing group texts (i.e. with iMessage users).

A few weeks ago, they updated the app, adding new features such as being able to sync to tablets. I'm not really interested in that feature (though I may check it out at some point), but I found that after I installed the update, my phone was constantly connecting to mobile data, even when I was on WIFI. I noticed this because the 4G icon with data transfer arrows on my GS3 was always on in the status bar, along with the WIFI icon. It seemed very strange to me.

Is anyone else running this app and noticed this? If so, any negative affects on battery use?

I've since uninstalled the app and restore the older version from one of my backups -- been trying to decide if I want to keep using this app or make the switch to another one....

ROM
    xtrrom 4.6.5

Default Re: Verizon Messages App -- Any users?

I use it all the time. It's been perfect for my needs. I haven't been paying attention to data usage since SMS doesn't use data, only mms uses data and I don't send or receive many mms's. I did install the app on my wifi only zoom and it works great. I'm loving being able to send and receive texts on my tablet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by mamawM View Post
    I use it all the time. It's been perfect for my needs. I haven't been paying attention to data usage since SMS doesn't use data, only mms uses data and I don't send or receive many mms's. I did install the app on my wifi only zoom and it works great. I'm loving being able to send and receive texts on my tablet.

It's not so much the data usage I'm worried about as much as the fact that it seems to be constantly running.

Normally, if I'm on wifi, the 3G/4G icon will appear when the SMS app is downloading content for a text message or sending a message, but then it disappears once the operation is completed and it goes back to wifi icon only. With the latest update(s), the mobile data icon is ALWAYS on along with my wifi...making me think that it's constantly doing something.

Was just curious if anyone else has noticed behavior (and if so are there any ill effects?), or if my particular device is acting strangely....

I'll try to post a screen shot later if I'm able to reproduce it once I'm back home on wifi.

ROM
    xtrrom 4.6.5

I have a bionic and when I'm on wifi I do occasionally see 3g/4g pop up too but not in conjunction with this app and when I check data usage this one is near the bottom of the list, very little data. Your issue is kinda wierd though.

Thanked by:

I used it on my gs3 until the latest update fixed group messaging. Now I just use the stock app. If that's why you use it, you should give the stock app a go again.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Seems to be working normally again after I cleared my cache...thanks everyone for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by murof View Post
    I used it on my gs3 until the latest update fixed group messaging. Now I just use the stock app. If that's why you use it, you should give the stock app a go again.
    I wasn't aware of that -- good to know!

Not to resurrect an old thread but...

Installed vzw messages app on my droid maxx and nexus 7. Set it up to only sync on wifi on the nexus since it's wifi only.

Funny thing. When home I always have wifi on and mobile data off. And I never can send or receive mms unless I turn mobile data on.

Well low and behold I can send and receive mms on my tablet even with mobile data off on the phone. That's too bad it doesn't apply to my phone.

Only reason I'm using this verizon app is to have texts from same number. Motorola connect doesn't support this yet. Would be nice if they did.

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jfriend33 View Post
    Not to resurrect an old thread but...

Installed vzw messages app on my droid maxx and nexus 7. Set it up to only sync on wifi on the nexus since it's wifi only.

Funny thing. When home I always have wifi on and mobile data off. And I never can send or receive mms unless I turn mobile data on.

Well low and behold I can send and receive mms on my tablet even with mobile data off on the phone. That's too bad it doesn't apply to my phone.

Only reason I'm using this verizon app is to have texts from same number. Motorola connect doesn't support this yet. Would be nice if they did.

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk
    I believe Verizon MMS won't work over Wifi. I use a program called Mighty Text. Sorry I don't have the link to Google Play. I now c as n link my tablet (N7) phone (GS3) and even use the Mighty Text website to text from PC. There is also a PC Chrome browser extension that will work within Gmail.

If I have been able to help you please click Thank you above.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

hello.
    how did you go back to previous version of verizon messages?
    is there anyway i can uninstall new one and go back to previouse one?
    thanks;

Don't promise this will work...
    Settings... Applications..
    Find VZW Messenger and click on it.
    Look at the top and see option to Stop. Next to it may say Uninstall Updates. Or it may also say Disable.
    If you want to Uninstall updates male sure you clear data first then Uninstall updates. Hopefully the is a Disable choice for after you do that. You may get asked down the line to upgrade it...