Is there any benefit to switching to Verizon before 4/21/13?

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I haven't thought through all the ins and outs of the changes in Verizon's upgrade policy and was hoping someone else has. Is there any benefit for someone to switch to Verizon before 4/21/13? I have a friend who is thinking of coming to Verizon from Sprint. Should she do it before 4/21/13 or is there no benefit?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't thought through all the ins and outs of the changes in Verizon's upgrade policy and was hoping someone else has. Is there any benefit for someone to switch to Verizon before 4/21/13? I have a friend who is thinking of coming to Verizon from Sprint. Should she do it before 4/21/13 or is there no benefit?

If your friend is starting a new line of service, then it shouldn't matter. The changes only affect how upgrades are handled.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
My understanding is that the new policy applies to any contracts which end after December 31st, 2013. So no, whether she buys on 4/20, or 4/22, she'll be under the new policy.

I wouldn't switch to Verizon's over-priced, under-valued, data limited contracts if you paid me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is that the new policy applies to any contracts which end after December 31st, 2013. So no, whether she buys on 4/20, or 4/22, she'll be under the new policy.

I wouldn't switch to Verizon's over-priced, under-valued, data limited contracts if you paid me.

You can still assume liability of an account with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE.

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is overpriced to the new moron subscriber opening one line. But i definitely believe 2/3 of verizon current customers enjoy some type of deal/promo/discount which makes their bill comparable to tmobile.

Me example
Galaxy S 3
450 min UNL TXTS $59.99( minus 20% employer disc)
UNL DATA ($9.99)
insurance( $5.xx)

When all set and done my bill is $75

Now isn't that one heck of a deal???

Theres maybe a handful of vzw customers who pay $120( for an individual line on share your wallet plan with 2gb of data

iSheep... iSheep... Meowww that's Apple VZW GSIII

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is overpriced to the new moron subscriber opening one line. But i definitely believe 2/3 of verizon current customers enjoy some type of deal/promo/discount which makes their bill comparable to tmobile.

Me example
Galaxy S 3
UNL DATA ($9.99)
insurance( $5.xx)

Theres maybe a handful of vzw customers who pay $120( for an individual line on share your wallet plan with 2gb of data

I pay less than $45 for my share of the family plan with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE including taxes and fees and discounts.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Me example
Galaxy S 3
UNL DATA ($9.99)
insurance( $5.xx)

How do you get unlimited for 9.99?

Every account I go in has it for 29.99

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How do you get unlimited for 9.99?

Every account I go in has it for 29.99

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

It was a targeted promotion that ended early in 2011 I believe. You can't get it anymore except through assumption of liability and even then, very few people with that plan would give it up.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a grandfathered unlimited Family and Friends account with two lines that my wife and I use to the fullest. No, you can't have them.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
We have a share everything plan, note 2 and droid dna, unlimited talk, text, and 6gbs of data for 160 a month with a 10% or so military discount on data. $80 a line. That is including the $7 per line for full coverage insurance. Although quite a bit more than the $50 a line we were paying on straight talk, we have higher end devices and better service as being a military family, we never know where we are going next and need the most reliable service.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It was a targeted promotion that ended early in 2011 I believe. You can't get it anymore except through assumption of liability and even then, very few people with that plan would give it up.
Who was the promotion targeted to?

I have a targeted promotion on my line, only for my state. Why they did that I don't know but for an extra $5 a month we have any mobile-to-any mobile. Without it I would have to pay $20 more for the 1400 minute plan. So it saves me $15/mo.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Who was the promotion targeted to?

I have a targeted promotion on my line, only for my state. Why they did that I don't know but for an extra $5 a month we have any mobile-to-any mobile. Without it I would have to pay $20 more for the 1400 minute plan. So it saves me $15/mo.

I don't know the exact details, but my understanding was that it was mailed out to select account holders.

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
It was e-mailed out to current vzw customers who live in sectors, towns and cities where verizon marketshare was low. It was like a retention attempt

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
If your friend is starting a new line of service, then it shouldn't matter. The changes only affect how upgrades are handled.
On the iMore forum, a poster is saying that the new upgrade policy applies only to new accounts and new 2 year contracts started on or after 4/21/13.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
" In alignment with the terms of the contract, customers on a two-year agreement will be eligible for an upgrade at 24 months vs. today's early upgrade eligibility at 20 months. This change aligns the upgrade date with the contract end date and is consistent with how the majority of customers purchase new phones today. The first customers impacted by this change are customers whose contracts expire in January 2014. As always, customers may purchase a new phone at the full retail price at any time."

The terms are clear. Any contract ending starting in January 2014 would have the upgrade date tied to the contract date. If it applied to only new contacts signed after 4/21, then Verizon would have said 4/21/2015,not January 2014. This information is posted directly on Verizon's website. If that poster claims otherwise, please ask him to provide his source, preferably a link to Verizon's website

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They said verizon store rep so I guess that is just another example of how poorly trained the store reps are.

I would take written documentation over the word of a sales rep. It might be that the sales rep was trying to make a sale, so he just said what the customer wanted to hear. Ask them to show you documentation, if they can't, ask them to give you written confirmation of anything they promise you that isn't published on the website

Redx

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I would take written documentation over the word of a sales rep. It might be that the sales rep was trying to make a sale, so he just said what the customer wanted to hear. Ask them to show you documentation, if they can't, ask them to give you written confirmation of anything they promise you that isn't published on the website

This x's 10000000 Ive had supervisor's on vzw customer service tell me one thing and when it came down to it, they were wrong. I went off that their own supervisor's don't know what the hell is going on. Ive learned that a lot of the sales reps and customer service reps don't know half of the rules or whatever.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
FYI - it seems that Verizon changed their AOL policy and starting on 4/21, they no longer truncate contract lengths great than 1 year down to 1 year when you do an AOL.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12