VZW to Canada?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
http://androidcommunity.com/verizon-wireless-could-be-headed-to-canada-20130618/

Good news or bad news? Good news is no more roaming or switching SIM cards when going to Canada.

Bad news? Can't think of any!

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk!

Unless you have a Canada plan, which costs more, Verizon would charge you roaming.

I looked at Verizon pricing using my provided Vodafone sim on my old phone on Vodafone home network would cost in excess of $20,000 per gb of data. Vodafone is one of Verizon's parent companies. Since they charge $20,000 per gb of data on their parent companies network, I would venture that they wouldn't give free Canada roaming.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Unless you have a Canada plan, which costs more, Verizon would charge you roaming.

I looked at Verizon pricing using my provided Vodafone sim on my old phone on Vodafone home network would cost in excess of $20,000 per gb of data. Vodafone is one of Verizon's parent companies. Since they charge $20,000 per gb of data on their parent companies network, I would venture that they wouldn't give free Canada roaming.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Let's note that this is under current pricing and being a parent company doesn't mean its the same company that's why it is a higher cost. Now if "Verizon" launches a network in Canada it is under the same company then I'm sure pricing will change for Canada and i wouldn't be surprised if Canada usage is included in current customers plans. Where Verizon will make money is by adding Canadian customers and I'm sure they'd get free US usage too no roaming.

That's how I see it more than likely playing out.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Let's note that this is under current pricing and being a parent company doesn't mean its the same company that's why it is a higher cost. Now if "Verizon" launches a network in Canada it is under the same company then I'm sure pricing will change for Canada and i wouldn't be surprised if Canada usage is included in current customers plans. Where Verizon will make money is by adding Canadian customers and I'm sure they'd get free US usage too no roaming.

That's how I see it more than likely playing out.

I just don't see how using the sim that came with the phone on the carrier branded on that sim costs that much. I would imagine that it didn't even cost them one percent of what they are charging.

We shall see I guess. Verizon has in the past made mostly decisions that benefit them. I just don't see them offering free calling between countries at no additional cost... Thru might decide to bundle it so that they van justify higher prices, just like how their share everything plans offer unlimited voice and text, since that costs them next to nothing compared to data.

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ using Tapatalk 4 Beta

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Also, if I were to send myself a text from one of my other lines with Verizon, it would cost 20 cents. Last time I went traveling, If someone in Europe sent me a text while I was in China, I would pay 5 cents. I can't believe that a domestic text on Verizon's network would cost 400% the cost of an international text.

I should also point lot that it used to cost 2 cents to receive texts on Verizon. Last I checked, it was 20 cents. If it is based on actual cost, it should have gone form in price add texts are so cheap nowadays. Hell, I pay less than 20 cents per GB of data based on my usage. A text uses practically no data, compared to data usage

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae