RUMOR: Verizon to ditch Unlimited Data for all in a year or so

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: RUMOR: Verizon to ditch Unlimited Data for all in a year or do

What part of PA are u referring to? I live in Philly and when I paid retail for both my gs3 n my Note 2 they asked me if I was gonna retail or not. I have been in plenty other VZW stores in and around the Philadelphia area n have heard the reps ask people are they gonna pay retail or not. A few go the retail route while the others get the shared plan.

SENT FROM MY AMAZING NOTE 2!

Easton / Lehigh Valley

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

Im finding that out now. At the time no such option was offered by the VZW rep. I didn't know about it.

Ouch. That sucks. (Well, it does if you would have used that option) If it was recent. I'd call customer service and see if you could get the plan back and pay the difference.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Everybody knows about the installment plan and keep unlimited right? You can get any phone, pay retail but spread out your purchase across 12 months. Put down whatever you want above the initial installment. Example.... 600 dollar phone...600= $50x12...put down 150, 600-150=450= 37.50x11payments+150x1 payment. See?? Keep unlimited, get new phone, pay just 40 bucks more a month for 11months. No penalty for early payoff. Please be aware you might be still paying for your previous phone by your monthly charges...so you might be paying twice at the same time. Subsidized previous phone and now this monthly charge for new retail installment plan. You have to ask for this...most stores wont offer this straight off the bat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Everybody knows about the installment plan and keep unlimited right? You can get any phone, pay retail but spread out your purchase across 12 months. Put down whatever you want above the initial installment. Example.... 600 dollar phone...600= $50x12...put down 150, 600-150=450= 37.50x11payments+150x1 payment. See?? Keep unlimited, get new phone, pay just 40 bucks more a month for 11months. No penalty for early payoff. Please be aware you might be still paying for your previous phone by your monthly charges...so you might be paying twice at the same time. Subsidized previous phone and now this monthly charge for new retail installment plan. You have to ask for this...most stores wont offer this straight off the bat.

Does the line need to be eligible for an upgrade to do this? One rep mentioned something like this but it was for a tablet. I'm gonna check into this a little later.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Does the line need to be eligible for an upgrade to do this? One rep mentioned something like this but it was for a tablet. I'm gonna check into this a little later.

Nope, the line does not have to be eligible for an update. The only requirements I know of are that the device has to be more that $299 and the it can only be done at a corporate store. I looked into doing it online a while back and it isn't not available from the self service POS.

Steve

Technified

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Nope, the line does not have to be eligible for an update. The only requirements I know of are that the device has to be more that $299 and the it can only be done at a corporate store. I looked into doing it online a while back and it isn't not available from the self service POS.

Steve

Thanks for the info.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Verizon charges a service charge to use their payment plan. You can buy from Best Buy, PM Verizon, and use the 18mo 0% interest, plus 5% BB rewards.

Although, if money is an issue, and you are planning well and patient and willing to work a bit, you can wait for a sale and buy it using the ETF method. The Note 2 was $400 off contract back in February, and a month or two ago, the DNA was $300 off contract.

Basically, the Note 2 was $100 at Sam's, go to BB, PM Sam's and use the $50 gc to bring the price to $50 on contract, then pay $350 etf.

Likewise, the DNA was free at BB, use the $50GC for -$50 on contract, paying $350 etf puts you at $300.

like i said above you have to be on the lookout for the best deals and plan ahead (as in the $50 BB gc).

Of course, if it isn't worth your effort, then you can always pay more, but the ETF method is likely cheaper than paying full retail.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Kyprain

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I phoned Verizon and asked if it was true about the unlimited going away. Talked to the first person then there management both said they didn't hear anything.
I think he op is making things up.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I phoned Verizon and asked if it was true about the unlimited going away. Talked to the first person then there management both said they didn't hear anything.

I don't think that the op made it up, the rep probably did though. I have had Verizon reps tell me inaccurate things multiple times, even stuff that was in explicitly stated in their terms of service

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
From Verizon's perspective they see 2GB as equivalent to unlimited for the vast majority of users because their usage statistics indicate that the vast majority of users use less than 1GB of data per month (I believe .90 was the national average in the US). It's obviously not the same as unlimited and I strongly disagree with the move towards tiered plans, but I get it from their perspective, in the profit making opportunity off of "power users". I'd really like to see a detailed analysis of sunk costs in network development versus rolling costs of data connectivity versus income brought in by these data plans. My guess is the cash flows are positive on a simple ROI but that the margin isn't as high as they wish it was.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I've been on Android Central for years and have never been accused of making anything up. I talked to several representatives without ever mentioning my prior conversations and each one brought up the unlimited data being cancelled all together. I said in the first post that its a rumor but I wanted to post it either way.

What kind of a person attempts to make something up and also claim its a rumor not only in the topic title but the post itself?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Kyprain, you have to understand that the csr's and even managers of phone retailers are often left in the dark. And even if they know what you are talking about it is highly unlikely they will tell you the truth. I do the same thing with our local sprint store, with news direct from their website all the time. They act like they've never even heard about what I was talking to them about.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I am paying $140 for 5 lines on Verizon now. If I move to the share everything plan, based on my maximum usage, I would pay over $5,000 per month.

How are you getting 5 lines for $140? I'm guessing they are unlimited data each? That would be $30 per phone for data, which by itself is $150 and that doesn't include the calling plan or the $10 per line to add each phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

How are you getting 5 lines for $140? I'm guessing they are unlimited data each? That would be $30 per phone for data, which by itself is $150 and that doesn't include the calling plan or the $10 per line to add each phone.

I'd guess an old plan + discounts.

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Anything that a regular rep tells you is just their guess, most likely.

I'm an employee at one of Verizon's regional headquarters, and there has been no such memo, although like the original poster stated, of course it's coming some time.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Sorry, I posted my details before many times in other threads, but only 2 smartphone lines, mine with unlimited, the other with the minimal data plan. And 3 dumb phones. Price is before discount and taxes.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I thought unlimited was always $30? I thought that's what it started at? But I could be wrong I didn't get a smart phone right away.

Tapatalk mofo

There was the $10 unlimited data plan which was only for targeted customers

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Sorry, I posted my details before many times in other threads, but only 2 smartphone lines, mine with unlimited, the other with the minimal data plan. And 3 dumb phones. Price is before discount and taxes.

Oh ok, I just thought Damn 5 smart phones for $140 LOL

Tapatalk mofo