Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Default Re: RUMOR: Verizon to ditch Unlimited Data for all in a year or do

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Doubt it dpham.. All carriers don't want you to roam.. Costs them money. I guarantee you look through your usage terms it says something about if you roam to much they can do something..

Either way I've forced roam for a month or 2 when Sprint started working in my area. About 3 GB each of those months... Heard nothing.. No charges.. Anything.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.
    Actually it's clearly stated in the current sprint contacts that if you use over 300mb of roaming data (the roaming partner doesn't matter it's cumulative) that sprint reserves the right to terminate your contract.

Now the 3 new plans have that limit REDUCED to 100mb.

Aldo sprint may have not caught you before as nv rollout occupies a whole bunch of their time. But once it's finished, I wouldn't expect you to be able to use that much roaming data without Atleast receiving a warning letter.

From what I've seen, it's a roaming letter one month, than if your still doing it the next month, you're terminated (without an etf). So if you're ever looking to get out of contact, just force roam for a while, and you're good to go.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Doubt it dpham.. All carriers don't want you to roam.. Costs them money. I guarantee you look through your usage terms it says something about if you roam to much they can do something..

Either way I've forced roam for a month or 2 when Sprint started working in my area. About 3 GB each of those months... Heard nothing.. No charges.. Anything.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.
    I looked through the terms and conditions, and didn't find such a clause. This is all it says :

" What Are Roaming Charges?
    You're "roaming" whenever your wireless device uses a transmission site outside your Coverage Area or uses another company's transmission site. Sometimes roaming happens even when you're within your Coverage Area. There may be higher rates and extra charges (including charges for long distance, tolls or calls that don't connect) for roaming calls, depending on your Plan."

I also looked at the details of the Nationwide plan which I am on, and it makes no mention of excessive roaming.

"Plan Details:

Unlimited Domestic Long Distance. (Airtime applies.)
    No domestic roaming charges. (Coverage not available in all areas)
    Night & Weekend Minutes
    Night Hrs: (M–F) 9:01 p.m.–5:59 a.m.
    Wknd Hrs: 12:00 a.m. Sat.–11:59 p.m. Sun."

There is a limitation of the unlimited mobile to mobile of you are Roaming in certain states, but then those minutes would just be used according to your regular minutes

" Important Plan InformationClose
    Important Calling Plan Information
    Anytime Minutes, Mobile to Mobile, Night & Weekend Minutes, Friends – Family and Per–Minute Rate are for use from within the Nationwide Rate and Coverage Area.

Plan Details:

Unlimited Domestic Long Distance. (Airtime applies.)
    No domestic roaming charges. (Coverage not available in all areas)
    Night & Weekend Minutes
    Night Hrs: (M–F) 9:01 p.m.–5:59 a.m.
    Wknd Hrs: 12:00 a.m. Sat.–11:59 p.m. Sun.
    International Roaming
    Make or receive calls while traveling internationally with rates starting as low as 69˘/minute. While at home, some international destinations can be reached using 10–digit direct dialing; international long distance rates apply in addition to airtime charges. Please visit for a list of North American Dialing Pattern countries and rates.

Detailed Billing
    $1.99 per month per number.

Minimum Contract Term
    Each line requires a month–to–month or two–year contract.

Activation/Upgrade Fees
    Activation Fee: $35/line.
    Upgrade Fee: $30/device when upgrading to a new device.

Early Termination Fees
    The early termination fee is up to $175, or up to $350 if your contract term results from your purchase of an advanced device (e.g., a smartphone, or netbook).

If you are activating a Data-Only Plan or if you're on a month–to–month term, you are not eligible for monthly access fee discounts.

Taxes, Surcharges and Fees

The market you're in determines taxes, surcharges and fees, such as E911 and gross receipt charges. As of April 1, 2013, they can add between 6% and 42% to your standard monthly access and other charges.
    Monthly Federal Universal Service (15.5% of the interstate and international telecom charges, as of April 1, 2013; varies quarterly based on FCC rate), Regulatory (16˘ per line) and Administrative (90˘ per line) charges are Verizon Wireless charges, not taxes, and are subject to change. For more details on these charges, call 1–888–684–1888.
    Important Information:
    For more information, refer to the Customer Agreement or speak with a Sales Representative. Service is subject to the Customer Agreement, which you should read before activating service. Credit approval required. Billing, shipping and end–user address must be within an area where Verizon Wireless is licensed and provides service.

Limited Mobile to Mobile Calling with Limited Night & Weekend:
    Does your Plan have limited Mobile to Mobile Calling and limited Night & Weekend allowances? If so, then when you make a Mobile to Mobile call during Night & Weekend hours, your allowance minutes will be used in the following order: 1) Mobile to Mobile Calling, 2) Night & Weekend and 3) Anytime Allowance.

Family SharePlans – Minimum Number of Lines:
    A Family SharePlan must include a minimum of two lines at all times. In the spirit of family, they all use the number of minutes designated for the account.

Unlimited Anytime Minutes
    Unlimited Anytime Minutes may be used for directly dialed or received calls between individuals and not for connections that don't involve uninterrupted live dialogue between individuals.

Unlimited Messaging
    Applies when sending and receiving (i) Text, Picture, and Video Messages with Verizon Wireless and non–Verizon Wireless customers in the United States; (ii) Text, Picture, and Video Messages sent via email; (iii) Instant Messages; and (iv) Text Messages with customers of wireless carriers on participating networks in Canada, Mexico, and Puerto Rico. Premium Messaging programs not included. Messaging is available from within the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area.

National Mobile to Mobile Calling/Friends & Family
    National Mobile to Mobile Calling/Friends & Family is not available: (i) to customers whose wireless exchange restricts the delivery of Caller ID; (ii) with fixed wireless devices with usage substantially from a single cell site; (iii) if Call Forwarding or No Answer/Busy Transfer features are activated; (iv) for data usage, including Push to Talk calls, Multimedia Messaging; (v) for calls to check your Voice Mail; (vi) for calls to Verizon Wireless customers using any of the Global services; (vii) in those areas of Louisiana and Mississippi where your phone's roaming indicator flashes; and (viii) for incoming calls if Caller ID is not present or Caller ID Block is initiated."

Of course, I could have missed it, if so, please provide the link to your assertion.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

my experience with the typical verizon store rep is: they are usually courteous, but 50% of them have a surface knowledge of their products. i have actually given verizon store reps info about their products that they had no idea about. with that being said, I have always felt that unlimited data would be erradicated sooner or later, for all carriers. it just stands to reason that the carriers can make more money by forcing our hand to become more disciplined in our data usage. there is no gamble for them, because once unlimited is gone, they get an automatic boost on data, I believe 1 GB is $50?? that's a $20/month increase per customer for verizon, minimum.

I'm staying, no matter what. the service is 2nd to none, and I can't afford to not be able to make calls in the short window of time that i have between jobs.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #54  

Quote Originally Posted by johnriii View Post
    my experience with the typical verizon store rep is: they are usually courteous, but 50% of them have a surface knowledge of their products. i have actually given verizon store reps info about their products that they had no idea about. with that being said, I have always felt that unlimited data would be erradicated sooner or later, for all carriers. it just stands to reason that the carriers can make more money by forcing our hand to become more disciplined in our data usage. there is no gamble for them, because once unlimited is gone, they get an automatic boost on data, I believe 1 GB is $50?? that's a $20/month increase per customer for verizon, minimum.

I'm staying, no matter what. the service is 2nd to none, and I can't afford to not be able to make calls in the short window of time that i have between jobs.
    I think its $50 for 1 GB on a Share Everything plan. I'm not sure on the exact pricing for these plans though. Verizon does offer 2 GB for $30 on individual plans so that's the route most customers would go.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by johnriii View Post

If you are on the legacy individual or family share plans, there was a 4gb/$30 legacy plan. At this point though, you would probably have to assume liability of such a line.

In the share everything plan, you would pay $7.50 per gigabyte if you were on the 20gb plan, but yeah, the 1gb tier is expensive.

Sprint just started the unlimited for life plan (talk text and Web). Of course Sprint service is nowhere near as good as Verizon, but it seems like they are willing to commit to it for life . Whether or not they honor it, so knows, but it would be a bad PR move if they did back out of their promise.

Many Store reps who are salesmen are really only there to sell you a phone. They aren't technical experts and don't really care about you beside their paycheck. Yes, there are some reps that do truly care, but I think that they are in the minority

johnriii likes this.
    Egz

Fairly certain they won't, but I would hate it to lose my Unlimited. I'm not a heavy user, but I like to have the flexability if I needed it. Not to mention, going to the default 2Gb plan would bump up my bill by $30 a month just for one smart phone.

Their pre-paid plans, they have a $70 for 4Gb. Is there something bad about those if I had to lose my Unlimited?

Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
    Fairly certain they won't, but I would hate it to lose my Unlimited. I'm not a heavy user, but I like to have the flexability if I needed it. Not to mention, going to the default 2Gb plan would bump up my bill by $30 a month just for one smart phone.

Their pre-paid plans, they have a $70 for 4Gb. Is there something bad about those if I had to lose my Unlimited?
    Cost is the same for unlimited vs 2gb plan, though no employee discount in the 2gb tier. You do not have to move to share everything.

Can you even use 4GLTE phones on prepaid? I thought you couldn't

Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

Quote Originally Posted by Wireless Vet View Post
    I'm an employee at one of Verizon's regional headquarters, and there has been no such memo, although like the original poster stated, of course it's coming some time.
    An end to unlimited data for Verizon customers?
    If so? When would this date be about?

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    An end to unlimited data for Verizon customers?
    If so? When would this date be about?

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One
    No one knows save perhaps the execs. Verizon never announces changes a year in advance

With the 2GB plan, do you have to pay $40/smartphone, $30/dumb phone, etc? I think my family is on some relic of a plan where all lines are still just $10, on top of the cost of the plan itself. To have three smartphones costs $90 for 6GB of data, but I think it works out to being cheaper than updating our plans.. Does anyone know if they're planning on getting rid of all older plans?

And speaking of discontent with Verizon.. If I was to switch out of my family's plan and get my own line, what's the best alternate carrier in terms of coverage and cost? I very rarely talk on my phone, I mostly use it for texts and social media--so good data coverage is imperative. I'm afraid if I switch to another carrier, I'll be frustrated by slow or nonexistent data speeds.

Default Re: RUMOR: Verizon to ditch Unlimited Data for all in a year or so

Tmo offers the $30 5gb 100min unlimited texts, and gets good speeds in many urban areas. Obviously Verizon network is better overall, but if tmo works for your needs, then sure why not.

You can try their service and see if it suits your needs, this is the most accurate way. You can also ask friends and family in your immediate area. Other than that, you can use rootmetrics as a last resort

3 smartphones for $90 with 6gb is a great price for verizon coverage, must be on a very old plan. This is better than the old family share plans. No one knows if Verizon will force you off the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    With the 2GB plan, do you have to pay $40/smartphone, $30/dumb phone, etc? I think my family is on some relic of a plan where all lines are still just $10, on top of the cost of the plan itself. To have three smartphones costs $90 for 6GB of data, but I think it works out to being cheaper than updating our plans.. Does anyone know if they're planning on getting rid of all older plans?

And speaking of discontent with Verizon.. If I was to switch out of my family's plan and get my own line, what's the best alternate carrier in terms of coverage and cost? I very rarely talk on my phone, I mostly use it for texts and social media--so good data coverage is imperative. I'm afraid if I switch to another carrier, I'll be frustrated by slow or nonexistent data speeds.
    Your best bet is probably the $60 AT&T GoPhone plan. They are somewhat comparable to Verizon with coverage and data speeds. An at&t mvno might also suit your needs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hokiesteve View Post
    Your best bet is probably the $60 AT&T GoPhone plan. They are somewhat comparable to Verizon with coverage and data speeds. An at&t mvno might also suit your needs.

If you don't mind texting over google voice, he can split his line from the family plan. I don't know pricing, but a standard legacy individual plan started at $40 voice plus $30 for legacy unlimited data (same price for 2gb as well).

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Tmo offers the $30 5gb 100min unlimited texts, and gets good speeds in many urban areas. Obviously Verizon network is better overall, but if tmo works for your needs, then sure why not.

You can try their service and see if it suits your needs, this is the most accurate way. You can also ask friends and family in your immediate area. Other than that, you can use rootmetrics as a last resort

3 smartphones for $90 with 6gb is a great price for verizon coverage, must be on a very old plan. This is better than the old family share plans. No one knows if Verizon will force you off the plans.

Thanks! I think T-Mobile has pretty decent coverage where I live, I'll ask friends in the area. That's insaanely cheap! lol sorry, I meant I have to pay $90 just for 6GB of data alone, on top of the cost of the plan and individual lines--but somehow it works out to being like $80 cheaper than the 'share everything' equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    Thanks! I think T-Mobile has pretty decent coverage where I live, I'll ask friends in the area. That's insaanely cheap! lol sorry, I meant I have to pay $90 just for 6GB of data alone, on top of the cost of the plan and individual lines--but somehow it works out to being like $80 cheaper than the 'share everything' equivalent.
    You could always assume liability of an
    Unlimited data line... Still $30 per line. Depending on the usage needs, you could join the plans into a family share plan, it could be cheaper. You do not need to move to share everything for this

If you don't mind texting over google voice, he can split his line from the family plan. I don't know pricing, but a standard legacy individual plan started at $40 voice plus $30 for legacy unlimited data (same price for 2gb as well).
    Does Verizon still offer legacy individual plans?

Quote Originally Posted by hokiesteve View Post
    Does Verizon still offer legacy individual plans?

Not for new accounts, but you can still assume liability of one. If you assume liability of an unlimited data line, it would also have a legacy individual or family line attached. If it was a legacy family line, simply cancel the remaining lines and keep one.

I just did the Verizon's "Device Payment Plan" to purchase my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 this past Friday. Yes, I am aware that the Note 3 is coming soon, but I had a Samsung Droid Charge (forever stuck on Gingerbread unless I get a custom rom [ummm...no]) for the past two years and I was ready for an upgrade. The Note 2 is such a great size for my hands, and it is (so far) an excellent phone for all of my needs. Here is how it works.

You will pay the phone's cost, plus $2 a month (REASONABLE if you do not want to buy a phone upfront or eat up available credit, even at 0% interest) divided by 12 months. You pay for the first month upfront at the corporate store. I had to ask multiple times to the gentleman if I was going to get a new contract OR lose my unlimited plan. The gentleman assured me that that wouldn't be the case (I think he was pissed that he knew I knew my stuff.) But I can pay the phone off early if I want (and I will) then I can start all over again with a newer phone (perhaps the Note 3 OR even Note 4.)

Point being is I STILL have unlimited. Been using Spotify, and Netflix all weekend and enjoying the gigs of data I have used in a weekend then most Share Everything suckers use in a month...(the Simpson's Nelson laugh..."ha ha") Unlimited ain't going anywhere and don't let any troll tell you different. People who don't have Verizon's unlimited data are just jealous that they lost it. I even acquired a third line recently that had Verizon Unlimited Data through "Assumption of Liability" that I use for my Jetpack acquired on eBay. Unlimited data is still available to those who want it and you don't have to use subpar T-Mobile or Sprint to get it.

Verizon Unlimited Data is here to stay!! Don't let anyone kid you.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #69  

Quote Originally Posted by cg101 View Post
    I just did the Verizon's "Device Payment Plan" to purchase my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 this past Friday. Yes, I am aware that the Note 3 is coming soon, but I had a Samsung Droid Charge (forever stuck on Gingerbread unless I get a custom rom [ummm...no]) for the past two years and I was ready for an upgrade. The Note 2 is such a great size for my hands, and it is (so far) an excellent phone for all of my needs. Here is how it works.

You will pay the phone's cost, plus $2 a month (REASONABLE if you do not want to buy a phone upfront or eat up available credit, even at 0% interest) divided by 12 months. You pay for the first month upfront at the corporate store. I had to ask multiple times to the gentleman if I was going to get a new contract OR lose my unlimited plan. The gentleman assured me that that wouldn't be the case (I think he was pissed that he knew I knew my stuff.) But I can pay the phone off early if I want (and I will) then I can start all over again with a newer phone (perhaps the Note 3 OR even Note 4.)

Point being is I STILL have unlimited. Been using Spotify, and Netflix all weekend and enjoying the gigs of data I have used in a weekend then most Share Everything suckers use in a month...(the Simpson's Nelson laugh..."ha ha") Unlimited ain't going anywhere and don't let any troll tell you different. People who don't have Verizon's unlimited data are just jealous that they lost it. I even acquired a third line recently that had Verizon Unlimited Data through "Assumption of Liability" that I use for my Jetpack acquired on eBay. Unlimited data is still available to those who want it and you don't have to use subpar T-Mobile or Sprint to get it.

Verizon Unlimited Data is here to stay!! Don't let anyone kid you.
    I hope Unlimited Data is here to stay but I am skeptical that it's staying considering it's in their best interest to dump it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    I hope Unlimited Data is here to stay but I am skeptical that it's staying considering it's in their best interest to dump it.
    Skepticism is like water or vitamins; it is usually healthy, but when you have too much of it, it is unhealthy.

The fact is that as of today, Unlimited Data is here to stay. Anything that states the contrary is rumor and leads to unproductive discussion. Of course it is in Verizon's best interest to get rid of Unlimited Data. They profit immensly from people who go to Share Everything. What is it, like $10 a gig for everything someone goes over? If it were me, VZ would be seeing hundreds of dollars a month from me. I pay $30 a month for Unlimited Data streaming from my Jetpack (thank you FCC!! HAHA!!!!) However, as of today, they're not going to risk losing customers that are still grandfathered in...otherwise, Verizon would have already made a move to get rid of us.

As was said by others and myself, if people want unlimited data from Verizon today, they can assume liability for a line that has it. They are all over eBay. You just have to look for "Verizon Unlimited Data" .

Overage is $15 for 500mb on the lowest tier, and $15 for 1gb on all other tiers

Overage is $15 for 500mb on the lowest tier, and $15 for 1gb on all other tiers

Ahhh, so it is worse...lol. From your avatar, sounds like neither of us has to worry about that.

Ahhh, so it is worse...lol. From your avatar, sounds like neither of us has to worry about that.
    Well, it is cheaper for me to use unlimited data than the 2gb plan since I get an employee discount on the unlimited, and the 2gb plan would not. Right now I pay, $140 for 5 lines of service with 2 smartphones including one with unlimited data. If I moved to a share everything plan, based on my peak usage, my bill would be over $5,000.

Well, it is cheaper for me to use unlimited data than the 2gb plan since I get an employee discount on the unlimited, and the 2gb plan would not. Right now I pay, $140 for 5 lines of service with 2 smartphones including one with unlimited data. If I moved to a share everything plan, based on my peak usage, my bill would be over $5,000.

Prior to getting the Note II on the Device Payment Plan, my bill was $190 for three lines, all unlimited data (Note II, Droid Charge and a Jetpack.) We have 700 minutes and the cheapest set of text messages. We typically go at a minimum 10GB a month, but when we're both Netflix heavy, we've seen 40-80GB. I am hoping to be paid off with the Note II by December, then I can get whatever Android sexiness exists (perhaps even the Note 3 and just give the wife the Note II.)

The only reason I even posted on this thread was to combat the haters...I do a casual search on Verizon Unlimited Data, just in case there is "official" word, and so far, so good.

Prior to getting the Note II on the Device Payment Plan, my bill was $190 for three lines, all unlimited data (Note II, Droid Charge and a Jetpack.) We have 700 minutes and the cheapest set of text messages. We typically go at a minimum 10GB a month, but when we're both Netflix heavy, we've seen 40-80GB. I am hoping to be paid off with the Note II by December, then I can get whatever Android sexiness exists (perhaps even the Note 3 and just give the wife the Note II.)

The only reason I even posted on this thread was to combat the haters...I do a casual search on Verizon Unlimited Data, just in case there is "official" word, and so far, so good.
    Next time you upgrade, why not add a dumb phone line? You can transfer the upgrades from your 3 unlimited lines to it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast