questions about adding hotspot/mi-fi and a tablet to VZW account

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Would someone please help un-confuse me? I'm trying to get my OTR trucker hubby set up with a tablet for his truck (yes, annoyingly so I'm still muddling with this). He has a dumb phone, doesn't need or want a smartphone so please skip any suggestions for that.

Truck stop wi-fi is supposed to be lousy and not a recommended option. I swtiched to shopping for VZW enabled tablets over at swappa.com. I've found there is a very limited selection and doesn't seem to have much turnover for new listings in VZW tablets.

Since I'm not having any luck getting him a VZW enabled tablet, tonight I started looking at at the less than ideal alternative VZW connection. Less than ideal is because of the additional hunk of hardware needed to make this work.

I'd like to have a broader selection of tablets to choose from and seriously liking this one especially: Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 (Wi-Fi) Specifications > Swappa

Looking at VZW's offerings here: Set Your Location I don't have a clue which one of these I'd need for his needs or provides the best connection. Suggestions welcome!

If I'm understanding this hotspot/wifi thing correctly, having one of these gadgets lifts the limitations of having to have a VZW enabled tablet because these things work on any wi-fi enabled tablet, correct? The gadget has the 4GLTE connection and when you plug the device into it then the device does, too ... correct? So, I could add *any* tablet (GSM or CDMA) I wanted to -- yes? no?

If I add the hotspot/jetpack to my account ($10 additional mo) do I *also* then have to add the tablet to my account as well (then $20 additional mo)?

Anything I missed that I should be aware of? Please fill in the blanks, thanks!
Deb

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just add a hotspot ($20/mo). You can then use any wifi enabled tablet, no need to pay more for the tablet plan. Alternatively, a smartphone can also act as a hotspot. Imo, makes more sense to add a smartphone ($40 per month) vs dumb phone plus hotspot ($30+$20).smartphone is cheaper. This assumes share everything plan, and no change to data plan.

Also, with my note 2, it works as both a phone and mini tablet.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Chuck73080

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Just add a hotspot ($20/mo). You can then use any wifi enabled tablet, no need to pay more for the tablet plan. Alternatively, a smartphone can also act as a hotspot. Imo, makes more sense to add a smartphone ($40 per month) vs dumb phone plus hotspot ($30+$20).smartphone is cheaper. This assumes share everything plan, and no change to data plan.

Also, with my note 2, it works as both a phone and mini tablet.

Another nice thing about the Note 2 is that if he needs to sign a document he can use the S pen and send it back. (like a load confirmation)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Am glad my tab is wifi. More in my pocket and not in Verizon's. I have the mifi. I don't have a landline so no internet except with the mifi. I am not going to add an extra bill. Like not having home phone

sent from my amazing Note2

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought the original Nexus 7 tablet with 32GB and 3G coverage. The 3G coverage is only through AT&T or T-Mobile. I paid know a per month basis if needed.on AT&T I tried the $30 for 3GB plan a few times. Recently I purchased the MiFi 5120L Jetpack through Verizon. This mifi hotspot turns cellular service onto data. The pros instant wifi anywhere Verizon has 3G or 4G LTE service. Works fairly well. Cons: adds $20 per month as a device vs. Tablet with LTE only $10. Also must remember to keep it with you and not lose it as it is a separate device. I actually had to up my plan this week because at a week long meeting the hotel had crappy to no wifi. (I went to front desk and explained in had to pay extra fee for using my data and they credited my the $20.)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I bought the original Nexus 7 tablet with 32GB and 3G coverage. The 3G coverage is only through AT&T or T-Mobile. I paid know a per month basis if needed.on AT&T I tried the $30 for 3GB plan a few times. Recently I purchased the MiFi 5120L Jetpack through Verizon. This mifi hotspot turns cellular service onto data. The pros instant wifi anywhere Verizon has 3G or 4G LTE service. Works fairly well. Cons: adds $20 per month as a device vs. Tablet with LTE only $10. Also must remember to keep it with you and not lose it as it is a separate device. I actually had to up my plan this week because at a week long meeting the hotel had crappy to no wifi. (I went to front desk and explained in had to pay extra fee for using my data and they credited my the $20.)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You can also use your phone as a hotspot. Since it sounds like you have the share everything plan, simply use the stock hotspot app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC