can an unlocked phone be re-locked?

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I've been hitting eBay and finding that a number of phones for sale are unlocked. VZW doesn't allow unlocked phones on their network so I have to pass these up and some are really good deals. Can an unlocked phone be re-locked? Does it matter if it's an Android or a Blackberry? If it's possible to re-lock it, how do I do this?

thanks,
Deb

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've been hitting eBay and finding that a number of phones for sale are unlocked. VZW doesn't allow unlocked phones on their network so I have to pass these up and some are really good deals. Can an unlocked phone be re-locked? Does it matter if it's an Android or a Blackberry? If it's possible to re-lock it, how do I do this?

thanks,
Deb

VZW allows unlocked phones on their network. In fact, pretty much all VZW phones sold nowadays are unlocked from the factory. Perhaps what you are confused of is the difference between a GSM phone and a CDMA one. Carriers such as VZW and Sprint use CDMA protocols, while AT&T, T-Mobile, and much of the rest of the world use the more open GSM protocols. However, most modern phones released on VZW also are able to be used on GSM networks, but you won't usually get LTE. The reverse is not true, however. A phone sold as GSM unlocked will not work on VZW or Sprint, because those two carriers use a different authentication system.

EDIT: So the short answer is no, you can't use a phone on VZW that wasn't intended for VZW originally, but many VZW phones nowadays are actually carrier unlocked.

Posted via Android Central App on Manta Ray

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
So in order to find out if the phone is ok to purchase for use on VZW I should just check the ESN with them?

Correct. That will tell you if it is both able to be used on their network, and will also alert you to any problems such as if the phone has been stolen.
You can also just Google the exact model number of the device to see if it's a VZW phones. For example, you might know it as the Galaxy S4, but the model number of the one that was released for VZW is actually SCH-I545

Posted via Android Central App on Manta Ray

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Virtually all of Verizon's current phones are factory sim unlocked. This is a FCC requirement for their usage of block C. Just get the esn and call Verizon to confirm that the esn is clean.

Note that not all factory sim unlocked phones will operate on Verizon, you want to make sure it is a Verizon variant.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So ?
Relocking GSM protocols to Verizon Wireless.
Can it be done ?
It depends on the device. Some devices were unlocked via update. If so, rooting and installing older software(before the unlock) would lock the device

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
VZW told me they don't allow unlocked phones on their service which is why I've steered clear of purchasing unlocked phones on Swappa. So, I'm lost on this.

titans30dude

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
If you buy a phone from swappa make sure its on the verizon section of phones, as long as its on there you will not have a problem activating it. Verizons global smartphones come factory unlocked for use on gsm radio bands when traveling. Dont get too hung up on the word "unlocked" as long as the phone is meant for verizon it doesnt matter if its locked or unlocked

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If you buy a phone from swappa make sure its on the verizon section of phones, as long as its on there you will not have a problem activating it. Verizons global smartphones come factory unlocked for use on gsm radio bands when traveling. Dont get too hung up on the word "unlocked" as long as the phone is meant for verizon it doesnt matter if its locked or unlocked
I do. Only buy VZW phones. Thanks.

Acctg_01

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Reading these questions and comments brings up the question I have regarding Verizon phones. Page Plus only allows CDMA phones.....Thus, it formerly allowed Verizon & Sprint. However, at that time, you had to have your CDMA phone flashed to their service. Now, it appears they only accept Verizon phones since their service provides Verizon service only. However, I am confused as to whether I can use a Verizon phone that is unlocked. Like Shaggykids, I have passed up a lot of good deals on ebay, etc. because the Verizon phone wasn't locked to their service. Somewhere, I read that and unlocked Verizon phone would not work. Can someone sort this out for me as I am looking to buy a new phone to continue using the Page Plus service.

Almighty1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
There are two kinds of unlocked. The traditional unlocked is the SIM/Carrier unlock which unlocks the phone so you can use it on other carriers providing the frequencies are there. What Verizon Wireless probably doesn't allow as unlocked is bootloader unlocked as they don't want the user to have too much power like tethering workarounds, etc.

sharilehan

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
I know my reply is a bit Johnny-come-lately, but I would still like to share my experience with using factory unlocked phones on Verizon. I buy factory unlocked phones directly from Apple, Samsung and Motorola. Best Buy sells factory unlocked phones as well. The devices come already unlocked and they have both CDMA and GSM as well as all the LTE bands for each respective carrier. These phones can be used right away on Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, and most of the MVNOs. I am able to switch between any carrier on the spot at any time within seconds without having to ask each and every respective carrier to unlock any of my factory unlocked phones. All I have to do is just pop in any carrier's SIM card and I'm good to go. I have had factory unlocked iPhones, Samsung Galaxies, and Motorola on Verizon. They activate instantly on Verizon and I can use them within seconds.

No carrier can lock a factory unlocked device. I consider that great freedom.

The tricky part is trying to buy a factory unlocked phone from ebay. They may claim to be unlocked, but it is most likely that they are carrier branded devices that are unlocked, and those are the ones that may or may not work on Verizon.