Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Synycalwon
  • 2 Post By Busted51
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default what happens if I buy S4 at full retail and Verizon kills off unlimited data a month later?

I am planning to buy a Samsung Galaxy S4 at the $649 full retail price
    in order to keep the unlimited data on that line.

Since this line is no longer under contract, am I basically screwed if
    Verizon decides to kill off all grandfathered unlimited data plans a
    month later? I do not think they'll do it, but it is perfectly legal for them
    to do it, It's not like Verizon hasn't done dumber things to p*ss off
    existing customers before. I have been a Verizon customer for almost
    12 years and I've seen them make many dumb moves that p*ssed me
    off beyond beyond belive. However, I have no choice but to use Verizon
    because no other carrier in myarea carries 4G. (AT&T only has 3G,
    while T-Mobile is still 2G/EDGE)

Is this essentially a $450 gamble? On contract, I can get the S4 for
    $199. $649 minus $199 = $450. I guess I can always sell the phone
    and repurchase it at contract pricing... but that seems like a pain.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,783 Global Posts

Default Re: what happens if I buy S4 at full retail and Verizon kills off unlimited data a month later?

Quote Originally Posted by MissyHaney View Post

Essentially yes - you're making a gamble.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: what happens if I buy S4 at full retail and Verizon kills off unlimited data a month later?

Yes. If you are not under a contract, Verizon can change the terms and you can cancel, but you cannot hold them to a plan.

I don't know if they are planning on dropping unlimited or not, so you're taking a gamble.

Maybe it'll pay off,maybe not.

Probably will. I don't see them dropping unlimited anytime soon, unless you are using lots and lots of data - they'll probably force the heavy users off first if they ever start dropping unlimited.

Sent from my LG-E980 using AC Forums mobile app
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X 2013 -> Moto X 2014
    Tablet: Nexus 7 2012

Since Verizon ended upgrades keeping unlimited about a year ago, my guess would be that unlimited would remain at least until about a year from now. But of course they can end it at any time.

Also, you can keep unlimited with upgrade if you transfer the upgrade to a non unlimited line. If you don't have another line, you can do the etf method which would save a bit.
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

I don't really think it's a gamble as I am out of contract n I have paid full retail on my last two phones without any issues.

SENT FROM MY AMAZING NOTE 2!

Quote Originally Posted by MissyHaney View Post

Sure you are taking a risk, but by that time (if they do eliminate unlimited data), the "Next" new phone will be out and you will have an upgrade ready to use at your convenience. Not the worst situation to be in.
    Good luck.
    Samsung Galaxy S4,
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
    Motorola Razr Maxx HD, iPhone 4,
    Blackberry 9650, Blackberry Playbook

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think Verizon is going to force anyone off unlimited data anytime soon regardless if you're off contract. If they tried, it would be a public relations nightmare. Anyway by most accounts, the majority of people are voluntarily going with the shared plans (and giving up unlimited), so they really don't have a lot of of incentive to kill off unlimited any time soon. Instead, they'll probably just let natural attrition take its course.

Bottom line, yes it's a bit of a gamble as anything is possible, but unlimited data on Verizon is still the holy grail in the cell industry. So by hook or crook it would be in your best interest to keep it anyway you can (until they pry it from your cold dead hands! ). My two cents anyway.
    cg101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think Verizon is going to force anyone off unlimited data anytime soon regardless if you're off contract. If they tried, it would be a public relations nightmare. Anyway by most accounts, the majority of people are voluntarily going with the shared plans (and giving up unlimited), so they really don't have a lot of of incentive to kill off unlimited any time soon. Instead, they'll probably just let natural attrition take its course.

Bottom line, yes it's a bit of a gamble as anything is possible, but unlimited data on Verizon is still the holy grail in the cell industry. So by hook or crook it would be in your best interest to keep it anyway you can (until they pry it from your cold dead hands! ). My two cents anyway.
    Way I see it, I have "saved" over $5,000 a month before...using my unlimited data plan compared to share everything... So for me, it is easy to justify. But honestly, the only thing I have to do is to just transfer my unlimited upgrade to one of my non unlimited lines. Not a big deal. Hell, even if I couldn't use my upgrade, the savings over tiered or share everything is well worth it

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

It's a chance that you take really. As they said Verizon can pretty much do what they want sadly. Your no longer protected by a contract or terms.

This is one treason I haven't upgraded my phone as yet-

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Since Verizon ended upgrades keeping unlimited about a year ago, my guess would be that unlimited would remain at least until about a year from now. But of course they can end it at any time.

Also, you can keep unlimited with upgrade if you transfer the upgrade to a non unlimited line. If you don't have another line, you can do the etf method which would save a bit.

What is this etf method you are referring to here?
    Sent from my Nook HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by toastayy View Post
    This is one treason I haven't upgraded my phone as yet-

What is this etf method you are referring to here?
    Sent from my Nook HD using Tapatalk 2
    You start a new line of service, sign up for a new 2 year contract, then immediately call Verizon to cancel the line, paying etf of $350. One days charges should be less than $5.

So for example, the note 2 was $50 after pm and gc on contract back in February, so you can have it off contract for about $405 plus tax, if applicable. This compared to used, which at the time could have been higher than $400.

The advantage of the etf method is it is completely legit, and you have full warranty, and can get new exchanges during the return and exchange period. You also don't have to worry about the phone being stolen or having a bad esn. Note that once you pay etf, you can return, but can't get the etf back. Also, you have to cancel within 3 days otherwise the $36 activation fee is not refundable after 3 days

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

I took advantage of the Best Buy -$100 off a iPhone 5s if you bring in an old phone for a new line. I paid $118 at the store, the following day I went into Verizon asked to cancel the line and pay the ETF.. I asked about the waved activation fee and they said thats correct.. So i ended up paying $468 roughly.. Iphone holds retail pretty good so I'll sell it for about $600 ish.. all in a days work.. haha
    Thanked by:
    Ry and dpham00 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aue123 View Post
    I took advantage of the Best Buy -$100 off a iPhone 5s if you bring in an old phone for a new line. I paid $118 at the store, the following day I went into Verizon asked to cancel the line and pay the ETF.. I asked about the waved activation fee and they said thats correct.. So i ended up paying $468 roughly.. Iphone holds retail pretty good so I'll sell it for about $600 ish.. all in a days work.. haha
    You could have also gotten the $50 reserve gc, if you signed up for it back in February. If you found a Walmart locally with it in stock, you could pm as well

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro