Verizon BS $30 "upgrade fee"

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I have been with Verizon since before they were Verizon, and there has always been a upgrade fee. They used to have specials where they waived the fee. And if you try talking with customer service sometimes you can get them to wave the fee. Just request the first Rep's supervisors supervisor. Usually when you make a request like that they will jump through hoops for you. A few years ago I got a free phone a $50 rebate and the activation fee waived. Just because I told the supervisor att was going to give me things so I would sign up.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App

Not true at all, you activate it online yourself and it is FREE is and always has been. The upgrade fee is fairly new and can be avoided if you dig your heels in and b!tch, carrieries don't like losing customers over a BS fee.

Wireless Vet

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Very simple to get rid of the fee...I did it a couple of month ago. Order online an then don't fully complete the order. Call VZW CSR and say hey you are charging me $30 upgrade and I'm not under contract, that you just checked with AT&T and if you switch over to them, as a new customer they will waive the fee; so I'd like to order the phone from you (VZW) but since the price of the phone is the same BUT AT&T is not charging new customers the $30 Please disconnect my service & I'll buy the same phone from AT&T and have them port the number over, took about 30secs and she waived it :D

What Don Ho isn't revealing is, we get calls like this every day, and this fee is probably the most aggressively enforced fee I've seen in my long time with the company. We have people employed who do nothing but read forums like this to stay on top of geniuses like Don Ho.

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
What Don Ho isn't revealing is, we get calls like this every day, and this fee is probably the most aggressively enforced fee I've seen in my long time with the company. We have people employed who do nothing but read forums like this to stay on top of geniuses like Don Ho.

Shaking in our boots Genius O:)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure there are many rules that are enforced but sometimes you get a rep that bend them and then get stuff like this.. Just depends on your luck.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

Yes we know VZW does, that is why VZW was the first company to get into bed with the NSA, while all along lying to their customers.

Fwafwow

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
So funny to see the fan boys or employees of vzw say hoe this is enforced. I spoke to one lady on the phone and she gave me a credit, and offered to send the phone overnight and waive shipping. (in fairness, she started with half of the fee.) So as the OP, I got this waived, and then some, without much effort. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
So funny to see the fan boys or employees of vzw say hoe this is enforced. I spoke to one lady on the phone and she gave me a credit, and offered to send the phone overnight and waive shipping. (in fairness, she started with half of the fee.) So as the OP, I got this waived, and then some, without much effort. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

I also got FREE Overnight shipping...........Shhhhhhhhh don't tell the "spies" on here, but I ordered on a Thursday and told the CSR I really wanted to have it for the weekend so I'd have plenty of time to transfer my contacts and what not and that the local vzw stores din't carry the 32gb model; she said no problem that she would upgrade my order to standard overnight shipping; shortly after that I got a tracking number that comfirmed she did indeed take care of it and I had it in my hands Friday afternoon, but let's not tell the fanboys that SOME VZW CSR actually understand what CUSTOMER SERVICE is all about :cool: any dummy can sell to you.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I called customer service and they refunded the $30 for me. This is the third time I have done it (Sister, Niece and my line). Takes minutes. Also, threats hardly work anymore so saying you'll switch isn't the best option.