Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts

Angry I keep getting sent refurbished phones that don't work? Can I get a different phone of equal value?

I've been on the Rezound since it came out, I returned my Nexus because people where telling me how good the Rezound was. I've been sent numerous refurbished ones due to problems with the Rezound. I just received my 5th refurbished Rezound yesterday and it has problems right off the bat, it won't charge. Is there any way to get Verizon to send me a different phone, different brand, but of equal value? I'm really tired of this happening, I understand that phones don't last forever, but 5 Rezounds, c'mon?. I'm paying almost $200 month for there services and I can't even get a phone that works. Has anyone been able to do this, swap for different phone of equal value?

Default Re: I keep getting sent refurbished phones that don't work? Can I get a different phone of equal val

I suggest calling their customer service and describing to them exactly what you've described to us--5 Rezounds, all of them with problems. Ask them for something different but equivalent. If the agent you're talking to says they can't, then politely ask if there is someone else who would have the ability to do so (i.e., their supervisor). Keep escalating until you talk to someone who can help. If that doesn't work, I suggest writing a letter/email (in a professional and cordial tone) to the Verizon CEO explaining the problem. Let them know you've been a loyal Verizon customer, and that you really want to stick with them, but having 5 faulty phones in a row is a bit excessive, and is there anything he or she could do to help?
    Deanig_12 likes this.

Default Re: I keep getting sent refurbished phones that don't work? Can I get a different phone of equal val

Yes. I have had Verizon replace a phone with another model three times. They replaced a Samsung Fascinate with a Charge. They replaced a thunderbolt with a RAZR and a Galaxy Nexus with a RAZR MAXX.

You have to be persistent and go up a level. I do most of my complaints on the phone. When I was replacing the Galaxy Nexus (third phones they actually made me go into a corporate store to verify there was a problem. I guess I got "flagged". The store confirmed the problem and I got a new phone.

The Thunderbolt and Nexus took like 3-4 phones before they replaced with a new model. The Fascinate was replaced on the first call (specific problem with Fascinates.)

Currently on a Note 2 and iPhone 5 since launch, no problems.

Fascinate would not ring when someone was calling. Verizon was replacing all Fascinates for awhile.

Thunderbolt was a piece of crap. Multiple problems on every phone.

Galaxy Nexus was also crap. Main problem was the phone turned on with any slight jarring. Pretty much when ever I took the phone out of my pocket it was turned off.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by Mr. Toad; 08-28-2013 at 05:23 AM.
    Thanked by:
    IamMoyMoy likes this.

Yes, as detailed above. I've had Verizon replace a Blackberry Storm with a Blackberry Tour. I've also had them replace a Motorola RAZR HD Maxx with a Note II for not only me but my friend too.

Its hilarious because I may have been one of the only people who never had an issue with the Thunderbolt.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Yes, as detailed above. I've had Verizon replace a Blackberry Storm with a Blackberry Tour. I've also had them replace a Motorola RAZR HD Maxx with a Note II for not only me but my friend too.

Its hilarious because I may have been one of the only people who never had an issue with the Thunderbolt.

The biggest issue for me was the radio because I was in a marginal service area. I had multiple replacements, and all had the same radio problems.

Anyway, Verizon replaced it with the rezound, and then replaced that with the Droid razr maxx all under warranty.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

ROM
    Stock Deodexed Froyo

Quote Originally Posted by drpepsi View Post
    I've been on the Rezound since it came out, I returned my Nexus because people where telling me how good the Rezound was. I've been sent numerous refurbished ones due to problems with the Rezound. I just received my 5th refurbished Rezound yesterday and it has problems right off the bat, it won't charge. Is there any way to get Verizon to send me a different phone, different brand, but of equal value? I'm really tired of this happening, I understand that phones don't last forever, but 5 Rezounds, c'mon?. I'm paying almost $200 month for there services and I can't even get a phone that works. Has anyone been able to do this, swap for different phone of equal value?
    This pained me to read because this is exactly what happened to me in 2010 when I got my first Motorola Droid. First one crapped out after two months and then I went through like 6 refurbished ones before they gave up and gave me a new contract on the release date of the droid 2. There is hope, my friend.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via the AC Forums app
    My Smartphone Journey on Big Red:
    Motorola Droid --> Motorola Droid 2 --> Samsung Fascinate --> iPhone 4S --> Samsung Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    342 Global Posts

I was lucky and rather painless replaced a Bionic for a Rezound and then that same Rezound for a Galaxy Nexus. I just asked once and they said "yes they can do it."
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts

I got off the phone with them, talked to tech support, she put me on hold while she talked to a supervisor. NO LUCK! They said they couldn't do it. I even threatened to cancel right then and there. They told me they would send another Rezound from a different factory, lol. I'm so pissed, I'm leaving in December once my contract is up. They told me I could upgrade and get new phones but lose my unlimited data, pretty much my only option.

That's a bummer. The last recourse is to write a letter to the CEO. It works, sometimes.

Posted via Android Central App

I got off the phone with them, talked to tech support, she put me on hold while she talked to a supervisor. NO LUCK! They said they couldn't do it. I even threatened to cancel right then and there. They told me they would send another Rezound from a different factory, lol. I'm so pissed, I'm leaving in December once my contract is up. They told me I could upgrade and get new phones but lose my unlimited data, pretty much my only option.
    Just hang up and call back. Try it a few times. Also, be patient, firm and persistent. Usually, the first couple of times the csr will say no, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Just hang up and call back. Try it a few times. Also, be patient, firm and persistent. Usually, the first couple of times the csr will say no, in my experience.

My experience is it always works the first time but I usually know how to deal with this. Also, don't use the threat to cancel because its used so much and seems as if you want an upgrade and nothing else. I've never used that because its so obvious that most people bluff.

I've had luck with getting replacements for a different model, but keep in mind the different model will usually be refurbished as well. I.e. when going from a Razr to S3, I had to buy the battery and back cover separately since the refurb didn't have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    I've had luck with getting replacements for a different model, but keep in mind the different model will usually be refurbished as well. I.e. when going from a Razr to S3, I had to buy the battery and back cover separately since the refurb didn't have them.
    I did too but Verizon gave me a credit towards my bill when I went from a RAZR HD Maxx to a Note II. I had to order a battery cover, battery and SPen.

Actually, you should ask to speak to the supervisor yourself--don't let the customer service rep do the talking. It's much easier for the supervisor to turn you down if he or she doesn't have to talk to you directly.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts

I do have two upgrades but I lose unlimited. I found a gnex on craigslist for $100. I'll use that I guess until my contract is up in Dec.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 4

I'm finding that if you have unlimited data they are not doing crap for you, go ahead and leave, they don't care.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by trucksmoveamerica#AC View Post
    I'm finding that if you have unlimited data they are not doing crap for you, go ahead and leave, they don't care.

Not true. I've had phone swaps for both my friend and I. He was on a Share Everything while I'm on Unlimited and it took the same amount of effort to reach a fair resolution.

Not true. I've had phone swaps for both my friend and I. He was on a Share Everything while I'm on Unlimited and it took the same amount of effort to reach a fair resolution.

I'm talking about getting something technically not allowed. If it's something allowed such as phone swap for warranty then yes no problems, but if you want them to bend the rules a little your going to have better luck if your on a share plan versus unlimited. That's what I meant

I'm talking about getting something technically not allowed. If it's something allowed such as phone swap for warranty then yes no problems, but if you want them to bend the rules a little your going to have better luck if your on a share plan versus unlimited. That's what I meant

I was staying within the topic so I thought that's what you were referring to. Him and I switched from RAZR HD Maxx to Note II phones which technically wasn't allowed. The reason for this was the Note II was an Iconic device while the Motorola was not. The rules were bent but that may have a lot to do with the way I speak to them.

I was staying within the topic so I thought that's what you were referring to. Him and I switched from RAZR HD Maxx to Note II phones which technically wasn't allowed. The reason for this was the Note II was an Iconic device while the Motorola was not. The rules were bent but that may have a lot to do with the way I speak to them.

Sorry I strayed

Sorry I strayed

No problem. Just a little bit of confusion but we ended up in the same place.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

I had three defective Rezounds in a row, and one in my hand in my hand when Verizon sent me my defective Galaxy S3 to replace my defective string of certified like new Rezounds, which was a replacement for my defective string of certified like new Droid Charges. Walking into the store with two defective certified like new phones, I should have demanded a brand new device out of the box right then and there, but I let Samsung fix my Galaxy S3 and it's been peachy for over a year! I think having provable defects in your hand when you walk into a store is the ticket.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgcamero View Post
    I had three defective Rezounds in a row, and one in my hand in my hand when Verizon sent me my defective Galaxy S3 to replace my defective string of certified like new Rezounds, which was a replacement for my defective string of certified like new Droid Charges. Walking into the store with two defective certified like new phones, I should have demanded a brand new device out of the box right then and there, but I let Samsung fix my Galaxy S3 and it's been peachy for over a year! I think having provable defects in your hand when you walk into a store is the ticket.

I might have to do that bc the phone rep wouldn't budge, even when the sup got on the phone he gave me problems. I pay almost $200 a month for my phones, prob more once I lose my unl data. I also have vz home phone, internet and tv for around $180. They could carless about there customers unless you have 8 phones.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

I've had them swap to a different device for me, but we had to pay the price of a subsidized new device. Didn't have to worry about losing u'ltd data at the time.

At this point this is true. I have Unlimited Data but I'm eligible for an upgrade. My contract is up so I can walk away as fast as I choose. I've been getting frustrated with static while connected to Bluetooth and now the CLNR is dropping phone signal all together. I'm going onto my 4th Droid Maxx due to this and all Verizon offers me is a replacement Droid Maxx or the "offer" to upgrade and lose Unlimited Data by signing up for a Share Everything plan. Considering I have only 1 line I declined and said even if I did I'd keep my Legacy plan. They said its not possible and when I called them out on it they "found" it in their system as available.

Is this what I pay for? Their customer service is overall good but ever since my contract ended its been misinformation. I don't mind that they won't switch me to a different device because that's their decision to make and their not required to do so. However, don't lie straight to my face and act like I am wrong when I'm not.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast