Verizon mobile hotspot email problem

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the following is a known issue for many users, or am I the only one struggling with it. I use the hotspot on my phone (HTC Rezound) to get my laptop online. On my laptop I use an email program (Mozilla Thunderbird) that is configured to use Time Warner POP and SMTP servers. The problem is that when using the hotspot I'm unable to send out email via the SMTP server. I get the incoming mail with no problem. Both the POP and SMTP servers work just fine when I use the laptop on my home network. These servers also work as they're supposed to when I send email straight from my phone. This isolates the hotspot as the culprit. I called Verizon techsupport and they offered no solutions, sending me to Time Warner techsupport which, in turn, sent me back to Verizon.

As a result, I pay monthly $30 for a hotspot and can't use email. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has a separate hotspot gizmo, but I wonder if it would have the exactly same problem. Time Warner also offers wi-fi hotspots but, according to their map, they're very few and far between.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Yep. The issue is you have to use your time warner connection at the house because that SMTP server can only authenticate you based on the time warner IP address.

On a mobile device or on any connection other than at home, you have to use a different server.

you have to use:
mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com

Check login required, and your full email address as your 'username'

also, you should be able to use the same POP server. But I have my SMTP port set to 25 so try that first. :beer::beer::beer:

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Oh and since I've tried before, you alternatively cannot use mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com on your TW Internet connection at home.

So if you want to use the same email application on your laptop on different connections you have to set up an additional email account to reflect the above server for sending email.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Yep. The issue is you have to use your time warner connection at the house because that SMTP server can only authenticate you based on the time warner IP address.

On a mobile device or on any connection other than at home, you have to use a different server.

you have to use:
mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com

Check login required, and your full email address as your 'username'

also, you should be able to use the same POP server. But I have my SMTP port set to 25 so try that first. :beer::beer::beer:

Have you tried it yourself? I believe I had and it didn't do a thing about the outgoing mail.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I already stated I did. you obviously haven't. you believe you had. Goodluck.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I already stated I did. you obviously haven't. you believe you had. Goodluck.

Wait a second, will you? Are you talking about the phone or the laptop? What you suggested is what the SMTP server is set to on my phone. Login with the account email address. Authentication "automatic". The only thing different is that the port is 587. I can email from my phone with no problem. I can't email from the laptop when it's connected to the phone's hotspot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11