No Nexus 5 for Verizon

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
But I don't think Verizon calls themselves a GSM carrier.

Posted via Android Central App

Well once they have VoLTE, what would they be considered? They will also be releasing gsm only devices. And cdma would be sunset at some point.

As to whether or not Verizon would find a loophole around the rules, that I don't know

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well once they have VoLTE, what would they be considered? They will also be releasing gsm only devices. And cdma would be sunset at some point.

As to whether or not Verizon would find a loophole around the rules, that I don't know

They'll be an LTE carrier.

Will they have GSM and HSPA as a fall back? I'm not sure. I don't think so.

AFAIK, LTE isn't an open standard like GSM.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I didn't know that. So then if there aren't rules requiring them to accept band 4 on devices, I wonder how that would work, would they just block any device not on their list from accessing band 4?

evan_adams

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
There are rules. It was part of the C block auction for 700mhz LTE level spectrum.

Google bid like $4 billion that forced a number of FCC rules to be invoked. They did this to stop Verizon from not opening up their access to devices. read about it here: United States 2008 wireless spectrum auction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-----------
from the wiki
-----------
Google's specific requests were the adoption of certain policies
Open applications: Consumers should be able to download and utilize any software applications, content, or services they desire;
Open devices: Consumers should be able to utilize a handheld communications device with whatever wireless network they prefer;
Open services: Third parties (resellers) should be able to acquire wireless services from a 700 MHz licensee on a wholesale basis, based on reasonably nondiscriminatory commercial terms; and
Open networks: Third parties (like internet service providers) should be able to interconnect at any technically feasible point in a 700 MHz licensee's wireless network.[9]
----------------------

So far, the FCC isn't enforcing it. But Verizon is in no hurry to enable Voice Over (VO) LTE (VoLTE).

It relates to the Nexus 7 issue on Verizon. Verizon net neutrality controversy: Nexus 7 not allowed on LTE | BGR

nullqwerty

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
According to The Verge, there was an updated filing of the G2 but with photos of the Nexus 5. It included support VZ's LTE 13 band:
Photos of fully assembled LG Nexus 5 revealed in regulatory filing | The Verge

Has this been debunked? Or rather, we know there was a mistake in this filing, so has it been confirmed that there isn't any way possible that this an FCC filing for a Nexus 5 with band 13? Or is it definitely just an FCC filing for a G2 but just with the wrong pictures?

Last edited:

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe it has CDMA for VZW network, only for Sprint.

Meaning it could work on VZW's LTE network, but you wouldn't be able to make calls with it, or use their 3G network.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

evan_adams

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
On TwiT's this week in google Leo Laportte made a good comment. He said that all we have really learned about the Nexus 5 has been via the FCC. He said he wouldn't be surprised if the reason it didn't get announced this week was because the FCC has been closed. This made me think that perhaps there is a Nexus awaiting the FCC to re-open for Verizon?

Yes, at this point, I am absolutely pulling at straws.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe it has CDMA for VZW network, only for Sprint.

Meaning it could work on VZW's LTE network, but you wouldn't be able to make calls with it, or use their 3G network.

If it supports volte then you should be able to use voice, once verizon deploys volte, assuming that your area has 4GLTE

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
If it supports volte then you should be able to use voice, once verizon deploys volte, assuming that your area has 4GLTE

Well, I was thinking ip calling could work too. This is assuming that the N5 would be able to connect to VZW's LTE if I were to pop in a VZW SIM card.
But, what would be the point, except just to see if you could.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, I was thinking ip calling could work too. This is assuming that the N5 would be able to connect to VZW's LTE if I were to pop in a VZW SIM card.

If it supports band 13 or 4 (once verizon deploys it) then sure, it would work for data, and ip calling

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Also, if someone was seriously thinking about getting a new Nexus device for ip calling on Verizon, and I am, it seems like they would be better served by the Nexus 7 LTE, since it will probably be cheaper and will also have a larger screen. Of course, if the Nexus 5 does support Verizon CDMA as well as LTE, that would be a distinct advantage over the Nexus 7.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Also, if someone was seriously thinking about getting a new Nexus device for ip calling on Verizon, and I am, it seems like they would be better served by the Nexus 7 LTE, since it will probably be cheaper and will also have a larger screen. Of course, if the Nexus 5 does support Verizon CDMA as well as LTE, that would be a distinct advantage over the Nexus 7.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

But the nexus 7 isn't really pocket able unless you have huge pockets.

The 4GLTE enabled nexus 7 is $349,only offered in 32gb.

The 16gb nexus 5 is rumored to be $349.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Probably not as a domestic fallback but you never know, it's always possible. They'll definitely include gsm/hspa radios for global roaming though.

Posted via Android Central App

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, the thing I liked about my GNex was it was practically unbrickable. To hard brick it, you'd basically have to try to, and on top of that, know how to.
Right now I'm rocking the GS4, but not digging how locked down it is. I was even lucky enough to get a 32 GB without the update that patched the exploit.
Having a locked down device really kills dev support. There's a few really good devs pumping out some kick *** ROMs, but I still like the variety of a Nexus device.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

I have a GNex with no real plans to switch. It really has been a bulletproof phone. I would be very interested in the N5 except Verizon is not planning to carry it. People complain about all thee added bloatware that is merely advertisement. Truth be told , Google does the same thing with their preloaded apps (books, music, wallet, mail, etc.). Seems to me that they all do it. Companies lock down phones and updates because .... Well....they can....there is no logic, at least none that they have offered. There must be a reason and it probably has to do with deals they have with phone manufacturers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a GNex with no real plans to switch. It really has been a bulletproof phone. I would be very interested in the N5 except Verizon is not planning to carry it. People complain about all thee added bloatware that is merely advertisement. Truth be told , Google does the same thing with their preloaded apps (books, music, wallet, mail, etc.). Seems to me that they all do it. Companies lock down phones and updates because .... Well....they can....there is no logic, at least none that they have offered. There must be a reason and it probably has to do with deals they have with phone manufacturers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

The thing with Google pre-loaded apps are that I use the majority of them. They're useful apps. Who uses VZ Navigator or Caller ID or Backup?? If there are people out there then more power to them, but I just find the Google equivalents seem to be better.

Sent from my Verizon Note 3 using Tapatalk

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...trolling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/
About Google apps. They're basically bloat too.

That was a good article. Makes sense. Android is Google's baby and they wanna make sure that no one else can take over it. And I'm sure they make the most of their money on the software. I just prefer to use Google's most of the time over the competitors. Like how "isheep" are all about being in the iOS ecosystem, I'm all for being in the Android ecosystem.

Sent from my Verizon Note 3 using Tapatalk