Plan Change Questions

kidstechno

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok so, I'm looking to join my mother's Verizon plan and break my contract with Sprint. What the situation currently is:
She has a Nationwide Unlimited Individual Talk/Text plan with 2 GB, Insurance, and a iPhone 4S. We want to change to a Share Everything plan with 8GBs, and want to move her device over. However, she lives in another state and the account is in my stepdad's name. She gave me her login details so I went online. There's an option to change plans, but I talked to a CS and said it was better to add a line first with the Share Everything plan and move the current phone over (as changing a plan can take up to a month to validate?). So I did that, but when I got to pre-ordering the Note 3, Verizon will only ship the device to the same person who the payment information belongs to, which is my stepdad. So a couple questions:
1) Can the shipping address be changed per request after ordering? Or is this something that they won't budge on?
2) When would they port my number? As I don't want a phone shipped somewhere while my current phone would be dead/unusable.

Or any recommendations on any other way to best handle this?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok so, I'm looking to join my mother's Verizon plan and break my contract with Sprint. What the situation currently is:
She has a Nationwide Unlimited Individual Talk/Text plan with 2 GB, Insurance, and a iPhone 4S. We want to change to a Share Everything plan with 8GBs, and want to move her device over. However, she lives in another state and the account is in my stepdad's name. She gave me her login details so I went online. There's an option to change plans, but I talked to a CS and said it was better to add a line first with the Share Everything plan and move the current phone over (as changing a plan can take up to a month to validate?). So I did that, but when I got to pre-ordering the Note 3, Verizon will only ship the device to the same person who the payment information belongs to, which is my stepdad. So a couple questions:
1) Can the shipping address be changed per request after ordering? Or is this something that they won't budge on?
2) When would they port my number? As I don't want a phone shipped somewhere while my current phone would be dead/unusable.

Or any recommendations on any other way to best handle this?
They likely won't ship to any other address. Sounds like a complicated situation, but it might be best to see if your Step-dad can talk to Verizon and set things up for you so that all you have to do is walk into a Verizon store and do the whole adding a line and porting a number over. First check that the number can be ported, because there could be issues if you can and you disconnect the service with Sprint.

Otherwise, you might need to have the phone and line purchased by your step-dad then mailed to you for use and possibly activation.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried going into a Verizon store? Sometimes doing things online is a little more complicated and things may not go as intended. If you don't need the phone shipped to you, just add yourself as an Account Manager, then go into the store and see if you do a preorder there. Since it's a preorder, your phone number will not be ported over until the device is in stock. Your number should be ported at the point of activation.

It might be more of a hassle to go in, but that way you can get some of your questions answered and hopefully get things done correctly. If not, you also have someone to point the finger at (the rep).

kidstechno

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Yea I went into the store and they basically said if I switched the plan to Shared Everything I'd have to wait a month until it confirms/passes to be able to order the phone on it but the other way around about adding a device + plan, then moving the iPhone 4S over to it would work without a hickup.EDIT: Nope, even if I'm in her account online I can't change the payment/shipping from my step-dad. But they said if my stepdad went into a store where they live (which they were planning on doing), if it was a corporate one, they could make all the changes and probably get me set up and have the phone shipped to me. The other option was have him call a CS line and have them set everything up.

I can set myself up as an Account Manager however. Would this let me do everything I need to if I call? I'm guessing I'll still need the last four of their SSN or something to verify.

Last edited:

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
To get into a Verizon account, the individual needs to be an Account Manager, and know the PIN number. If they do not have a billing password (aka PIN) setup, then you will need the last 4 of the social. As long as you know the billing password/PIN, or set one up, then you can have a rep get into the account. Once they access the account they should see your name as an authorized user.

So, just want to get it right, you want to:

- Change plan for all lines to Share Everything.
- Port from Sprint

It honestly doesn't sound like something the store can't do, if you're an account manager... Maybe I was doing stuff I wasn't technically allowed to do when I was a rep, but they should be able to just perform a plan change, which you will sign for, and then initiate a port from Sprint for you, which will automatically just add $40 to the plan, and then of course you sign for that as well.

They will always say "wait 24 hours", "wait a month", or whatever, but that usually isn't required, and is just said in case something goes wrong. Maybe it just depends on who you talk to =\

kidstechno

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Turns out my mom went into a Verizon store in NC and they set her up. Changed plans and ordered my phone. Said the guy tried 3 ways to get them to ship the phone to me but couldn't do it. They're super strict about shipping it only to the account holder. But hopefully they ship it next day, as they plan on coming up the 12th so it'll be cutting it close.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You could assume liability of the account, making you the owner. Afterwards, your mom can assume liability back.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol