1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Evolution + leanKernel

Default GNex user looking at Verizon Edge

Also posted this in the Galaxy Nexus forums, but figured this forum might be able to help as well.

Obviously there are problems with the Galaxy Nexus, namely battery and random restarts etc etc. I have Unlimited atm but don't live in an area that has 4G LTE, I was using a dock to get it but that died so I'm back to 1 bar 3G and using barely any data unless I go out. That's another problem, I am disabled, can't drive, and whenever I do go out it's to see the doctor or randomly see a movie. I'm forced to live at my parents house that has ATT coverage but I refuse to goto ATT.

Now my mother came and talked to me about Verizon Edge cause she saw a commercial on it, I honestly haven't been paying much attention to what Big Red has been doing so I looked it up. Fast phone upgrades that you just pay through your plan which is fine with me, means I can get something now and a Nexus 5 when it comes out. Problem, they force you out of Unlimited, which I am on the extreme fence about even if I don't use much data. But 6Gb for 1 cent more is enticing when I don't use much data anymore (used to be 12-20Gb+ per month), and for just 20 more I can get 8Gb with tethering even though I do that without tethering plan as is.

What is everyone's thoughts on this
    1. Should I just say screw it now and go with Verizon Edge seeing as I dunno when/if I or we will ever move to an area where I have Verizon 4G.
    2. Should I make the *shudder* switch to ATT, and get a lower data plan and worse phones with worse coverage.
    3. Or should I not do either, stick it out with my GNex, even when I don't have the money to buy a new phone straight up.

I'm honestly at a loss for what to do but I'm afraid this limited deal they have with the data plans is going to go, and then somewhere down the road they will find a way to force me out of Unlimited and I will have to pay up more for 6Gb+. Even romming my phone and using a very nice kernel, the phone just goes down so fast. Even with the screen off and 3G it can barely last a day, and now it's starting to randomly restart and apps are crashing for no reason.

Default Re: GNex user looking at Verizon Edge

Quote Originally Posted by RipTide View Post
    Also posted this in the Galaxy Nexus forums, but figured this forum might be able to help as well.

Obviously there are problems with the Galaxy Nexus, namely battery and random restarts etc etc. I have Unlimited atm but don't live in an area that has 4G LTE, I was using a dock to get it but that died so I'm back to 1 bar 3G and using barely any data unless I go out. That's another problem, I am disabled, can't drive, and whenever I do go out it's to see the doctor or randomly see a movie. I'm forced to live at my parents house that has ATT coverage but I refuse to goto ATT.

Now my mother came and talked to me about Verizon Edge cause she saw a commercial on it, I honestly haven't been paying much attention to what Big Red has been doing so I looked it up. Fast phone upgrades that you just pay through your plan which is fine with me, means I can get something now and a Nexus 5 when it comes out. Problem, they force you out of Unlimited, which I am on the extreme fence about even if I don't use much data. But 6Gb for 1 cent more is enticing when I don't use much data anymore (used to be 12-20Gb+ per month), and for just 20 more I can get 8Gb with tethering even though I do that without tethering plan as is.

What is everyone's thoughts on this
    1. Should I just say screw it now and go with Verizon Edge seeing as I dunno when/if I or we will ever move to an area where I have Verizon 4G.
    2. Should I make the *shudder* switch to ATT, and get a lower data plan and worse phones with worse coverage.
    3. Or should I not do either, stick it out with my GNex, even when I don't have the money to buy a new phone straight up.

I'm honestly at a loss for what to do but I'm afraid this limited deal they have with the data plans is going to go, and then somewhere down the road they will find a way to force me out of Unlimited and I will have to pay up more for 6Gb+. Even romming my phone and using a very nice kernel, the phone just goes down so fast. Even with the screen off and 3G it can barely last a day, and now it's starting to randomly restart and apps are crashing for no reason.
    I assume you are on an individual line? I believe I posted this in another thread, but how many phones do you use throughout the year? As in, do you switch phones often or are you content with just one device for a long period of time?

It doesn't sound like you benefit from having Unlimited data, or even a large pool of data, as you do not receive very good service to use it. I would say, for an individual line, going with the 6GB on EDGE is not horrible, but it will come down to what you do with your phone. If you keep your phone for a while, I would still say to go with a traditional 2-year contract plan, as you just have to pay for your device's subsidized price and be done with it. If, like you described, went with EDGE and get a phone now, and then want to get another device later (Nexus 5, though it may not go to Verizon), then you will have to shell out half of the cost of the phone you are trading in before you can get the new phone. So you will be paying ~$300, give back the phone and then get another one.

So how often do you plan on switching out your device? It just seems like it'd be easier, and more cost efficient, to sign the two year contract for a cheap new device instead of making payments on a phone you may end up giving back to them. But you also mentioned not having the money to pay for a new phone outright, so I'm not sure if paying $200-300 is within your budget?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Evolution + leanKernel

You make some valid points and I thought about that, but when I do get out (usually to the doctor/psychiatrist/movie with my parents) I do use a good bit of data. I live in a very royal area so it takes a while to get to places, I'm talking an hour to the nearest Walmart, over an hour to my Neurologist and other doctors. I usually stream Spotify or watch Youtube while one of my parents drive me to these places since I'm not able to anymore which can start to use up a good bit of data (def over 2gb). So while it might be better to pay less and just get a new contract I would be shooting myself in the foot more or less by just getting by with their 2Gb plan which costs just as much as my Unlimited.

Now with Edge I can upgrade ever 6 months, which honestly, I'm a tech enthusiast at heart when it comes to phones and computers. I want the latest in tech even if it costs a pretty penny, I will sell things I own just to get it. This is where the upgrading every 6 months would be easier imo than every 2 years, $300 over a span of 6 months is not much compared to like you said $200-$300 right out the gate. I obviously don't get out much because I am disabled and use WiFi when I am at the house but on the off chance I am out, I want the piece of mind that I have more data to throw around even if it isn't Unlimited anymore.

I see. It does sound like in your case that using Edge, whether on Unlimited or their $30 6GB Max promo, would be more convenient. I did not factor in the hassle it would be for you to either meet someone on craigslist to sell a phone, or have your parents drive you to the post office to mail out a phone. Definitely more convenient in your case to just trade in a device after a few months at Verizon to pick up a new one that has come out. I'm still not sure what Verizon will do with people on Unlimited with the Edge program. They may force you off unlimited to sign up for the 6GB offer, but hopefully that will be enough for you, still.

Let me know how it works out for you =)

Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

I know you indicate that AT&T isn't for you, but if there is coverage at your house, and coverage on your normal routes, it might make the most sense. Rather than pay for Edge or Next or Jump, you could by a new Nexus from the Play Store every year and save some money.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Evolution + leanKernel

Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    I see. It does sound like in your case that using Edge, whether on Unlimited or their $30 6GB Max promo, would be more convenient. I did not factor in the hassle it would be for you to either meet someone on craigslist to sell a phone, or have your parents drive you to the post office to mail out a phone. Definitely more convenient in your case to just trade in a device after a few months at Verizon to pick up a new one that has come out. I'm still not sure what Verizon will do with people on Unlimited with the Edge program. They may force you off unlimited to sign up for the 6GB offer, but hopefully that will be enough for you, still.

Let me know how it works out for you =)
    Thankfully I will still be able to sell my phone on Craigslist or eBay since my mother works at a post office, so shipping or getting it to someone locally won't be an issue. And from what I can tell I will def lose Unlimited, but I've come to learn that all good things must come to an end at some point (me being disabled is a good example!)

Will def let you know how it works out and what I turn up with, I've already made the decision to switch, just not sure what to exactly... =/