Phone replacement hell...Help!

sumner929

May 22, 2010
Visit site
So long story short I went through 3 DNA's and countless SIM cards in the span of 10 months. If one issue was resolved another would pop-up. I'm not one to complain to VZW's CSR's about every little bug or anything but I do expect the phone I paid for to work. Today they decided to switch devices on me to see if that resolves everything but here's where it gets fishy, well to me anyway. They told me that since I have an HTC phone, I can only switch to a comparable HTC model. I asked if I could get the HTC One and they obliged. I'm thinking "Awesome", I'll swap out the DNA for the One. The problem is the way they did it. They are saying that its actually an upgrade from the DNA, so the only way for them to get me that device is to change my upgrade date to today, then order the phone which will cost me $250 (upgrade fee plus price of phone and taxes). Does that sound right to anyone? Why would be an upgrade if its comparable? I paid about the same amount when I got the DNA over Christmas so why do I need to do it again if they are switching me devices? I feel like I'm getting duped here. Any help/insight would be amazing. Thanks!!!

Christopher Gilliam

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
No it's not right I had the same issue with The Bonic they moved me into another droid of The same value you have and Verizon Droid phone they need to move you into another droid or HTC at no charge you should call back ask for and supervisor to review your phone normally if you have more than three replacements in the 6 month timeframe they offer you the option of getting a different model phone at no charge..Since you have a droid model they should be offering you a droid even if its just the Droid Razr . I ask for a supervisor ask them to review your account after seeing everything you have gone through they can't argue that you haven't tried to make that phone work for you. If you stand your ground with an sup they should at least give you the phone at no charge you may have to ask, for the department head but trust me if you push the issue and stand your ground worst case scenario they push out your upgrade date

Posted via Android Central App

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I had Verizon change one of my devices several times with out a charge. Fascinate - Charge, HTC Thunderbolt - DROID RAZR and a Galaxy Nexus to a RAZR Maxx. Ask to speak to a supervisor or go into a corporate store.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That while HTC to HTC thing is incorrect too. I've switched from a Droid RAZR HD Maxx to a Note II at no charge. All Verizon is doing for you is locking you into a new contract which isn't of any benefit to you.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4

sumner929

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll call back and stand my ground with them. The One was already ordered and shipped. Will I have to return it if they credit me back the money? It's a sweet phone and I'd like to keep it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
They agreed to a comparable phone, but you asked for a specific model. If the One is considered a more current/advanced phone than the DNA (I'm not familiar with the HTC lineup specifically), then it likely isn't considered "comparable". And as fast as phones are advancing, the amount of phone you could by last Christmas would be less than a new one today of the same price. Or rather, your current phone is not worth as much by far today vs when you bought it. IF that's the case from what I'm reading, then yeah, I'd expect them to need to use your upgrade and such. Good luck with the refurbish roulette.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll call back and stand my ground with them. The One was already ordered and shipped. Will I have to return it if they credit me back the money? It's a sweet phone and I'd like to keep it.

You may be out of luck on a refund and keeping the phone. Verizon wouldn't send a new phone out for a device swap but rather send a refurbished unit. Also, in terms of compatibility, the One is much more advanced and would not be considered comparable under any circumstances. If Verizon allowed swaps like this than people would do it just to get the next best thing constantly.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon wouldn't send a new phone out for a device swap but rather send a refurbished unit. Also, in terms of compatibility, the One is much more advanced and would not be considered comparable under any circumstances.

If they used his upgrade like the OP said, then yes it would be a new phone and could be just about anything he wanted because it would be considered an early upgrade instead of a warranty replacement. That would be the only up shot I think with how it was done.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
If they used his upgrade like the OP said, then yes it would be a new phone and could be just about anything he wanted because it would be considered an early upgrade instead of a warranty replacement. That would be the only up shot I think with how it was done.

I know but I'm referring to him hoping he can keep the phone and get his money back. Verizon would send a new device out if he paid and extended his contract but not under the device swap program so many of us have used before.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol