Buying full retail then cancelling the plan

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently on a family plan with my siblings that's past due. I have bailed them out for the last couple months, but am not looking to enable their inability to pay their bills on time. Now, I'm looking to upgrade to a Galaxy Note 3 at full retail (to keep my data). I'm unable to upgrade through Verizon with the past due balance, but what they've recommended to me is that I purchase the phone full retail as a new customer, and once I receive the phone, cancel the month-to-month plan. This sounds a bit suspect, but has anyone else done this or know more about this than I? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

nkelley71

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you the primary acct. holder? You may be able to break the plan up into individual plans. Have you checked out the edge plan for yourself even? Sometimes depending on how long you've been a customer they may be able to help you out.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk now Free

apquijano

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm not the primary account holder. I wouldn't want to use Edge either because I would lose my unlimited data as well right?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Will they let you assume liability of your line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

That would be the best bet, if they could release his line. I am not sure how it works when the account is past due though. My suggestion to the op, maybe make a deal to get them current then take control of your line.

Other option is to open service with another carrier, and port your line, though you will have to pay etf, if applicable . If you want to keep Verizon, port to Google voice, then start a new account and port the number back to Verizon

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Best bet is your already willing to pay full retail. Go either to eBay or swappa and buy one there. Only issue is if your bill gets to further behind then they'll discount you till u pay up plus the reactivation fee. So then that new phone is nothing but a WiFi device.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Just a reminder if you do an assumption of liability does bump your unlimited data off your line. People will contest me on this, because I have heard of some customer service reps retain the unlimited for some customers even though they aren't suppose too. Also, you can do what was explained to you above, but I am shocked they told you to do that honestly.

Last edited:

CyberdyneHQ

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Any Verizon-subsidized upgrade eliminates your unlimited data. ANY new new-activation = no unlimited. If you're going to pay retail, buy global/unlocked from Amazon, so you can keep your options open and plentiful.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk now Free

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Any Verizon-subsidized upgrade eliminates your unlimited data. ANY new new-activation = no unlimited. If you're going to pay retail, buy global/unlocked from Amazon, so you can keep your options open and plentiful.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk now Free

There is not one unlocked non Verizon branded phone that works on Verizon, officially.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Just a reminder if you do an assumption of liability does bump your unlimited data off your line. People will contest me on this, because I have heard of some customer service reps retain the unlimited for some customers even though they aren't suppose too. Also, you can do what was explained to you above, but I am shocked they told you to do that honestly.

I will contest you. I assumed an unlimited data line and use a Jetpack on it. I did NOT lose unlimited data.

I will say that the CSR handling the transfer sounded pissed that I did keep unlimited. But I have been burning gigs on the road for months. I got it so that I could have some semblance of Internet during am emergency, like Hurricane Sandy. Went on eBay, did what I had to do and wallah, got my third line with unlimited.

Anyone can do the same. Just go to eBay and look up "Verizon unlimited data." Find something for around 275 to 350 and it is a done deal.

Posted via Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I will contest you. I assumed an unlimited data line and use a Jetpack on it. I did NOT lose unlimited data.

I will say that the CSR handling the transfer sounded pissed that I did keep unlimited. But I have been burning gigs on the road for months. I got it so that I could have some semblance of Internet during am emergency, like Hurricane Sandy. Went on eBay, did what I had to do and wallah, got my third line with unlimited.

Anyone can do the same. Just go to eBay and look up "Verizon unlimited data." Find something for around 275 to 350 and it is a done deal.

Posted via Android Central App

It has gone up a lot lately. But yeah it works. If not, no one would buy it, or even I they did, the seller would have to refund

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
It has gone up a lot lately. But yeah it works. If not, no one would buy it, or even I they did, the seller would have to refund

Simple math in determining the extra cost of the AOL line would be [Cost of Assumption of Liability] / $29.99 (cost of unlimited data) which would equal the amount of months it would be before the unlimited data plan is YOURS. In my case, $250/$29.99= approximately 8 months. After 9 (for sure) the cost has/had been absorbed and the Unlimited Data becomes/became truly mine.

Either that, or spend a penny more to get 2GB a month, plus $15 a GB in overages to be paid like a punk. LMAO...yeah. Or worse still, forgo the overages altogether, and use only WiFi (yet, you pay for mobile data?!)

"Don't be a punk...get Verizon's unlimited data!" should be a motto. LOL. Alot of those eBay sellers are willing to work out a deal...because they do want to get out of contract.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I am telling you it's not suppose to work, especially when a name change is involved, because essentially you are setting up a new account. The national side of customer service does have the ability to retain unlimited for a customer. With all the loop holes that still remain when it comes to unlimited plans make it so potentially you can retain unlimited through an assumption of liability even though you are not suppose too. I am just telling you be careful, because eventually all the departments will get on the same page. For now though if you find a way to do it, the more power to you.

Using the Big Red Samsung Galaxy S4

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Little update here, it seems that when transferring a line off a family plan is where the unlimited drops, because you are changing the plan. A single line seems to be safe at the moment, even though it is still not suppose to be. That is the loophole I think. Like I said a assumption of liability basically is setting up a new account, new accounts do not have access to the unlimited plan. Like I previously said just be warned that this loophole probably will be caught soon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Little update here, it seems that when transferring a line off a family plan is where the unlimited drops, because you are changing the plan. A single line seems to be safe at the moment, even though it is still not suppose to be. That is the loophole I think. Like I said a assumption of liability basically is setting up a new account, new accounts do not have access to the unlimited plan. Like I previously said just be warned that this loophole probably will be caught soon.

When you assume liability, you would need to assume liability of the entire account, including all lines to maintain all features /plans if they are legacy plans/features like unlimited data .

No one cares that it isn't supposed to work, only that it does. Just like the $60 loyalty plan ,you are supposed to have to be within 1 year of contract end, but in reality, anyone can get it. Or when Verizon allowed unlimited users to keep it while upgrading last month. Or when I got my note 3 for $90 on release day . Or when there was the mhs loophole to gain unlimited data. Or my favorite, to transfer unlimited upgrades to a non unlimited line and keep unlimited.

In reality, this AoL loophole has been going on for over 2 years now. Sure, it could end... Those who did not get it, they had ample opportunity but chose not to.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Do you work for Verizon? Are you upset that you can't afford to absorb a line? I just want to know where this hate comes from...

I think the line I absorbed did come from a single line. But it got absorbed into a family plan. I originally had 2 lines...in fact, funny story...I had gotten an additional unlimited line like 4 days prior to Verizon going to shared tier plans. I didn't expect to have all of this balloon to 5 lines (three unlimited and two basics.)

Regardless, a successful AOL transfer requires that the buyer ensure that the unlimited line transfers as well. Otherwise it can be cancelled and the refund process starts. The buyer doesn't want that and certainly neither does the seller; all the parties care about is that the unlimited data is kept.

Relax guy...unlimited data is staying for the time being...even if I only have it for two years thanks to the glitch...by the time Verizon decides to play games with it, I can go back to T-Mobile.