Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 2 Post By trivor
  • 1 Post By evan_adams
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default About to sign up

    Any tips for someone about to sign up?

    I'm bummed about no N5 on Verizon but I need better coverage. I'll probably go Moto X or One.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: About to sign up

    Any specific concerns you have, or are you asking mostly for opinions on phone selection? You can't go wrong with the X or the One. I'd also suggest looking at the Droid line--they're all essentially the X, but with the Maxx, you get that awesome battery. And there's also the Droid Mini, if you want a smaller screen.

    Make sure you try out as many aspects of the phone as possible within the first 14 days, so that if you feel it isn't the right phone for you, you'll be able to exchange it easily.
    CR6 likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evan_adams View Post
    Any tips for someone about to sign up?

    I'm bummed about no N5 on Verizon but I need better coverage. I'll probably go Moto X or One.
    Take your time and look at several phones. Play around with them at the store.Three good choices are the Galaxy Note 3, Moto X, HTC one. Two other ones are the S4 & GN2 both are still great phones and are soon to be getting either 4.3 or 4.4 and their prices are dropping.

    Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App
  4. #4  
    trivor's Avatar

    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    525 Global Posts

    Default Re: About to sign up

    Don't forget to check out the LG G2 - just got one and it's great - awesome screen, great battery life (Engadget has stated it gets better battery life than the Droid Ultra Maxx (3500 Mah)). The back buttons take a little getting used to, the plastic back is as slick as all the Samsung Galaxies (I put an Incipio Feather case on it and it feels like a totally different phone). It has much better radios than my Galaxy S3 for both phone calls and data (max LTE speed on the S3 was 15 Mbits down and I routinely get 20+ on the G2). Was a little surprised at how much I like this phone - wasn't expecting a whole lot from it - just seemed nicer than the One and didn't want an S4 that felt like a slightly better S3.
    CR6 and moosc like this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: About to sign up

    If 2gb data is enough, get the 2gb, unlimited talk text for $60

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: About to sign up

    Yea I know about phones. We are going with an X, another X in November, and probably a note 3 for someone who has eye sight issues.

    More about Verizon and plan quirks. What do you mean unlimited talk text for $60?

    I'm confused about all this data stuff as I'm coming from Sprint where I never had to worry.

    I'm moving 3 people over + one prepaid iPad that is already on verizon.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: About to sign up

    Quote Originally Posted by evan_adams View Post
    Yea I know about phones. We are going with an X, another X in November, and probably a note 3 for someone who has eye sight issues.

    More about Verizon and plan quirks. What do you mean unlimited talk text for $60?

    I'm confused about all this data stuff as I'm coming from Sprint where I never had to worry.

    I'm moving 3 people over + one prepaid iPad that is already on verizon.
    How much data do you use on your 4 devices? There is a good individual plan that gives you unlimited talk text and 2gb data for $60

    Unlimited talk and text with 2gb data for $60 with 1 year contract .ymmv

    In your case though, share everything may work better as you have 4 devices


    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: About to sign up

    From an average of two sprint bills for everyone.

    Anytime 399
    Mobile to Mobile 810
    Total Minutes 1209
    Texts 696
    Night & Weekend 113
    3G Data 976278
    3G Data Roaming 18437
    4G Data 37514

    The iPad plan is whatever the minimal pre-paid verizon ipad plan is. Some months around the 26th we get charged for 1 extra gb.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: About to sign up

    Quote Originally Posted by evan_adams View Post
    From an average of two sprint bills for everyone.

    Anytime399
    Mobile to Mobile 810
    Total Minutes 1209
    Texts 696
    Night & Weekend 113
    3G Data 976278
    3G Data Roaming 18437
    4G Data 37514

    The iPad plan is whatever the minimal pre-paid verizon ipad plan is. Some months around the 26th we get charged for 1 extra gb.
    Verizon has share everything plans that have unlimited voice and unlimited text then you choose how much data you want. Choices are 2, 4, 10 and 50. You will probably want at least 4gb. Data prices are $40 $50 $80. Not sure how much the 50gb is though.

    Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App
  10. #10  

    Default Re: About to sign up

    why do people call it the "droid ultra maxx" ? its clearly either the "droid ultra" OR the "droid maxx" two completely different phones

    Posted via The Maxx
  11. #11  

    Default Re: About to sign up

    Quote Originally Posted by aue123 View Post
    why do people call it the "droid ultra maxx" ? its clearly either the "droid ultra" OR the "droid maxx" two completely different phones

    Posted via The Maxx
    Probably because the phones are basically the same except for the Kevlar type, Qi charging (Only Maxx has it) and battery size.

    Sent from my Motorola Droid Maxx using Tapatalk 4
  12. #12  

    Default Re: About to sign up

    Quote Originally Posted by aue123 View Post
    why do people call it the "droid ultra maxx" ? its clearly either the "droid ultra" OR the "droid maxx" two completely different phones

    Posted via The Maxx
    And because in year past, they were the "Razr and Razr Maxx (HD)"... force of habit, I suppose.

    -----

    If you are worried about the data cap, Verizon does notify you when you hit certain limits (75%, 90%). You can also enable a 50% data used notification as well which may help. Of course, you can contact them to increase your data cap to the next tier if you require more data for that month. It is a $10 jump to the next tier, vs. I believe a $15 overage fee if you go over your cap.

    Nothing notable to complain about really, that isn't different from any other carrier.

    As for plans, it may be cheaper to move the iPad over to a Share Everything plan along with the phones, depending on how much your pre-paid plan costs. Depending on usage on the iPad (which sounds like a fair amount), you may want to select the 4GB tier, like others have suggested.

    One annoyance I have is that your employer discount is only applied toward the cost of your Data tier, not the entire bill... but it's better than nothing.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: About to sign up

    Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    One annoyance I have is that your employer discount is only applied toward the cost of your Data tier, not the entire bill... but it's better than nothing.
    Yea I am trying to get that employer discount now. We are small construction company and the group we need to join is being difficult.
  14. #14  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    1,050 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts

    Default Re: About to sign up

    Quote Originally Posted by jpriest007 View Post
    Take your time and look at several phones. Play around with them at the store.Three good choices are the Galaxy Note 3, Moto X, HTC one. Two other ones are the S4 & GN2 both are still great phones and are soon to be getting either 4.3 or 4.4 and their prices are dropping.

    Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App
    The Note 2 price has been dropped for a while, and the S4 has been out for like 4 months. It's not dropping anytime soon, or until the S5 comes out. The S4, Moto X, and GS2 are fanstastic phones. The Note 3 has also been a hot seller as well since launch. The GS2 surprised me and is very comparable to the S4. The Droid line (Droid Maxx, Droid Ultra, Droid Mini) has always been solid.
  15. #15  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    1,050 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts

    Default Re: About to sign up

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    How much data do you use on your 4 devices? There is a good individual plan that gives you unlimited talk text and 2gb data for $60

    Unlimited talk and text with 2gb data for $60 with 1 year contract .ymmv - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

    In your case though, share everything may work better as you have 4 devices


    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    I think that individual plan is only being offered to those on unlimited and looking to go to the Edge program, and that plan is a Share Everything plan just modified. Share Everything is the only plan they offer to new customers.

    Based of your usage below with 3 phones I would start with either 4GB or 6GB. So without any discounts or taxes you would be looking at about $190 for 4GB or $200 for 6GB. Those both included unlimited minutes and unlimited text.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: About to sign up

    Can you downgrade VZW accounts without problems? i.e. from 6gb to 4gb
  17. #17  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    1,050 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts

    Default Re: About to sign up

    Quote Originally Posted by evan_adams View Post
    Can you downgrade VZW accounts without problems? i.e. from 6gb to 4gb
    Ya easily. In a store, calling in or on the website. Doesn't affect your contract or anything.

    Using the Big Red Samsung Galaxy S4
  18. #18  

    Default Re: About to sign up

    It looks like you go through a lot of data. I would consider purchasing the phone outright so you can get unlimited data. Verizon doesn't "advertise" this, but it IS still available.
    Good luck!

    tap'n
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: About to sign up

    Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
    It looks like you go through a lot of data. I would consider purchasing the phone outright so you can get unlimited data. Verizon doesn't "advertise" this, but it IS still available.
    Good luck!

    tap'n
    Sprint reports in Kb so for three lines we use just over 1GB. + the iPad we probably use 2-3GB so I will go with a 4GB plan.
    CR6 likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: About to sign up

    Quote Originally Posted by jpriest007 View Post
    Verizon has share everything plans that have unlimited voice and unlimited text then you choose how much data you want. Choices are 2, 4, 10 and 50. You will probably want at least 4gb. Data prices are $40 $50 $80. Not sure how much the 50gb is though.

    Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App
    50gb would be $375.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Similar Threads

  1. Somehow managed to delete the Gallery app, help!
    By Joey Esquivel in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 03:52 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 03:33 PM
  3. How to view Android tasks online
    By cjthelder in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 03:05 PM
  4. What is a cheap combo to Nexus 7!
    By Gauhar Mahmood Azeem in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 12:48 PM

Posting Permissions