Found a deal that sounds too good to be true...Thoughts?

CrimsonBlur

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I was browsing at a Target store a few days ago and struck a conversation with the Manager of the Mobile department...he was a self-proclaimed "No B.S." guy and said he can not only upgrade my account at the beginning of the month I'm eligible (i.e. My upgrade is 12/23, but he can upgrade me 12/1) but also have it so I keep my current unlimited data plan.

Now, he explained how through their channels they get better deals than corporate stores and how corporate stores generally try to get you off old dead plans and yada, yada, yada...but I'm wondering if this is true? He gave me his card and I told him I'd be back, but in the mean time, has anyone else had an experience like this? Do you just have to know the right people? Here I've been pulling my hair out trying to plan my next phone/carrier/plan...am I living in a dream or have I struck gold?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was browsing at a Target store a few days ago and struck a conversation with the Manager of the Mobile department...he was a self-proclaimed "No B.S." guy and said he can not only upgrade my account at the beginning of the month I'm eligible (i.e. My upgrade is 12/23, but he can upgrade me 12/1) but also have it so I keep my current unlimited data plan.

Now, he explained how through their channels they get better deals than corporate stores and how corporate stores generally try to get you off old dead plans and yada, yada, yada...but I'm wondering if this is true? He gave me his card and I told him I'd be back, but in the mean time, has anyone else had an experience like this? Do you just have to know the right people? Here I've been pulling my hair out trying to plan my next phone/carrier/plan...am I living in a dream or have I struck gold?

My normal thought process is: 'If it is too good to be true, it probably isn't. And if it is, grab as many as you can afford.'
And to quote Forrest Gump, 'That's all I have to say about that.'
:cool:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Unless you have a family plan, the isn't currently a way to keep unlimited.

just ask for it in writing

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

CrimsonBlur

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
My normal thought process is: 'If it is too good to be true, it probably isn't. And if it is, grab as many as you can afford.'
And to quote Forrest Gump, 'That's all I have to say about that.'
:cool:

Unless you have a family plan, the isn't currently a way to keep unlimited.

just ask for it in writing

Yeah, you guys are pretty much echoing the thoughts in my head so far. Thanks for the input, y'all.
I'll be sure to temper my enthusiasm until I manage to upgrade.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't risk it. He will keep the unlimited data on your line but after Verizon audits the account they will see it and remove it. So while he kept it for you it won't stay most likely.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't risk it. He will keep the unlimited data on your line but after Verizon audits the account they will see it and remove it. So while he kept it for you it won't stay most likely.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

Which is why any promise by any salesmen on questionable items should be in writing. Verizon would have to honor it especially if it was done at a corporate store, as it is a Verizon employee and you had proof. But I highly doubt that they would provide it in writing.

Worst case, so long as you had written documentation, then they would have to let you return it and reinstate unlimited. This is a legal requirement, If they aren't willing to honor the deal, then they have to put things back to the way things were before the deal

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Which is why any promise by any salesmen on questionable items should be in writing. Verizon would have to honor it especially if it was done at a corporate store, as it is a Verizon employee and you had proof. But I highly doubt that they would provide it in writing.

Worst case, so long as you had written documentation, then they would have to let you return it and reinstate unlimited. This is a legal requirement, If they aren't willing to honor the deal, then they have to put things back to the way things were before the deal

^^^ "This. "

That Droid-Life article about how to upgrade and keep unlimited data provided one of the ways of using a nice manager at a Corporate Store to upgrade straight and keeping unlimited. However, I have to go with dpham00 on this; a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
^^^ "This. "

That Droid-Life article about how to upgrade and keep unlimited data provided one of the ways of using a nice manager at a Corporate Store to upgrade straight and keeping unlimited. However, I have to go with dpham00 on this; a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on!

I have had issues with Verizon honoring their written commitment multiple times. Was able to get them to agree with a bit of persistence. But man, the verbal promise of a sales rep not only here but for anything really means jack unless it is in writing. In my experience, Sales reps are interested in making the sale, not making the customer happy.

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
But man, the verbal promise of a sales rep not only here but for anything really means jack...

Well, that last thing I wrote is definitely based on life experience...anecdotal and personal....verbal commitments in place of a contract means nothing.

Actually, thank you...that actually reminded me to do something. (Non-Android related...lol...)

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

But the OP is not talking about dealing with Verizon, he would be dealing with Target. I am sure all Verizon would say about a written Target Guarantee is go talk to Target.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I have had issues with Verizon honoring their written commitment multiple times. Was able to get them to agree with a bit of persistence. But man, the verbal promise of a sales rep not only here but for anything really means jack unless it is in writing. In my experience, Sales reps are interested in making the sale, not making the customer happy.

As you've shared a number of relevant personal experiences, in what form did these commitments come? Copies of official policies? On-the-spot typed, and addressed to you letters signed by the salesmen? Handwritten assurances?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
But the OP is not talking about dealing with Verizon, he would be dealing with Target. I am sure all Verizon would say about a written Target Guarantee is go talk to Target.

Target is acting as an official agent for verizon (Verizon authorizes them to sell their phones, and make changes to your plan). Legally speaking, Verizon would have to honor it just like if you bought a car from a dealer and financed through say Toyota financing at lower rate than what Toyota wanted. Toyota financial services would have to honor the rate. In this case, Target is an authorized dealer for verizon .

It is a moot point anyways as virtually no salesmen would put it in writing anything other than the official terms. Because he doesn't want to be liable.

If they made a mistake, worse case is that they would have to return your plan to what it was and require you to return the phone with no restocking fee. But I haven't ever seen that happen.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
As you've shared a number of relevant personal experiences, in what form did these commitments come? Copies of official policies? On-the-spot typed, and addressed to you letters signed by the salesmen? Handwritten assurances?

Honestly I haven't had a salesman yet that was willing to put anything in writing. If he says something, I will ask him to provide the written policy or term in the contract. If it isn't there, then it doesn't exist. In the case of unlimited, it isn't in the contract explicitly, but I If you got a written signed dated statement from the salesmen with the number upgraded indicating the guarantee of unlimited data, then Verizon would have to honor it. Or worse case, return the phone to have unlimited reinstated(the latter being very rare) . But I would imagine that very few salesmen would agree to write a letter for you.

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I haven't had a salesman yet that was willing to put anything in writing. If he says something, I will ask him to provide the written policy or term in the contract. If it isn't there, then it doesn't exist. In the case of unlimited, it isn't in the contract explicitly, but I If you got a written signed dated statement from the salesmen with the number upgraded indicating the guarantee of unlimited data, then Verizon would have to honor it. Or worse case, return the phone to have unlimited reinstated(the latter being very rare) . But I would imagine that very few salesmen would agree to write a letter for you.

What would that statement be? A receipt? I'm asking because I've never had a chance to ask for anything in writing believing that that would just result in me being laughed out of the store.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What would that statement be? A receipt? I'm asking because I've never had a chance to ask for anything in writing believing that that would just result in me being laughed out of the store.

Well, if they are guaranteeing that you would keep unlimited data, then they should be able to provide you written proof. It could be a simple handwritten guarantee.

I had a csr try to **** me around when I was price matching my note 2, insisting that policy didn't allow price matching. I said okay, show me the best buy policy not allowing what I was doing. He left for a long time and couldn't find it... He tried to pull a few fast ones but I knew the policy which is posted on their website and called his bluff each time. I realize this is a little different but regardless is they say it is policy they should have no problems showing you the policy. Short of that, a written statement would do, though I highly doubt anyone would give you one, so sort of a moot point.

You might be laughed out of the store but better than losing unlimited and the hassle of having it reinstated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63