1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Cyanogen MOD 7

Default Question Regarding 4G

For the past three days guys have been installing two dish-like antennas on the Verizon tower next to my property. Is this 4G installation or something else? One is smaller than the other and they are on opposite sides. I know there is 4G about seven miles west of me and that is the direction the small dish is pointing to.

Default Re: Question Regarding 4G

From images I've seen, the 4G antennas on towers look similar to the older styles, not dish shaped. It could be communication dishes of some sort, like microwave, but those are typically straight line of sight and not something a phone would communicate with. Kinda like a satellite t.v. dish, where you have to aim it just right to get a signal.

It is a microwave backhaul (high bandwidth over long distances), but as pointed above, requires line of sight.

I am assuming that it is a taller tower, typically microwave backhauls aren't installed on short towers.

Although it isn't 4GLTE, if it is a Verizon tower, there is a good chance that they will add lte antennas soon. Lte antennas are larger rectangular shaped(skinnier ones are 1x voice) , but could be confused with 3g antennas as they look similar. Still, I doubt that Verizon would expand 3g at this time, so if you see them start putting up rectangular panels, then most likely lte

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:

The LTE antennas are narrow and tall like pictured here on this COW (cell on wheels) which also has the microwave dish to connect it to the nearest backhaul system.

Question Regarding 4G-driver-580x452.png
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Cyanogen MOD 7

Yes I already have 3g here. I noticed like three months ago a group of people were digging up the ground behind the tower to the street. Then last week they installed the microwave dishes.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Haluser5 View Post
    Yes I already have 3g here. I noticed like three months ago a group of people were digging up the ground behind the tower to the street. Then last week they installed the microwave dishes.

Posted via Android Central App
    Maybe they were running another conduit for additional power for the tower. They could also have been pulling in

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    Cyanogen MOD 7

Yeah, that's what I thought. Well hopefully in a few weeks I'll start seeing a 4G symbol on my S4!
    Thanked by: