Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: Comcast is offering a $200 Visa Prepaid card when buying a Verizon phone or tablet

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Don't forget you have to pay taxes and fees on top of the $10 plus activation or upgrade fee (unless fees were waived)
    This. For me, an added line is $13/mo. From my bill it would appear to be $18/mo, but that is because of how they reallocate the taxes, surcharges and fees among the lines after you add a line. When you subtract what the bill was before I added the line from what it is after I added a line, it is $13/mo. So the cost of the line is $312 for 24 months.

I can buy an iPhone using the added line's upgrade for $199 + tax + the upgrade fee = $241. If I can net $553 on the sale of the iPhone, the line pays for itself. However, in some states like California, you pay tax on the full price of the phone so you would have to net closer to $600 for the line to pay for itself.

I noticed that if you were adding a line through the Comcast promo, they said there would be no activation fee. But if you were upgrading, there would be an upgrade fee.

Default Re: Comcast is offering a $200 Visa Prepaid card when buying a Verizon phone or tablet

If you are planning to etf the line, just suspend the line until you get the visa prepaid card

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    I plan to move the phone to upgrade my unlimited line. This isn't what you're talking about, I hope.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    This. For me, an added line is $13/mo. From my bill it would appear to be $18/mo, but that is because of how they reallocate the taxes, surcharges and fees among the lines after you add a line. When you subtract what the bill was before I added the line from what it is after I added a line, it is $13/mo. So the cost of the line is $312 for 24 months.

I can buy an iPhone using the added line's upgrade for $199 + tax + the upgrade fee = $241. If I can net $553 on the sale of the iPhone, the line pays for itself. However, in some states like California, you pay tax on the full price of the phone so you would have to net closer to $600 for the line to pay for itself.

I noticed that if you were adding a line through the Comcast promo, they said there would be no activation fee. But if you were upgrading, there would be an upgrade fee.
    I don't buy phones to resell. But for example if you are on tmobile and wanted the note 3, you could pay $708 for a sim locked Note 3 from tmobile or for example if you bought it via the Comcast deal, pay $200 with $200 visa prepaid card, free activation. Then suspend line until visa prepaid card comes and etf. You would pay $350 plus one days service plus tax, though buying from tmobile would incur more tax than Verizon if bought when the note 3 was $200

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #54  

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_y7 View Post
    I plan to move the phone to upgrade my unlimited line. This isn't what you're talking about, I hope.
    No you are fine suspending service is an option for those not on Verizon hut want a Verizon phone

Thanked by:

I don't buy phones to resell. But for example if you are on tmobile and wanted the note 3, you could pay $708 for a sim locked Note 3 from tmobile or for example if you bought it via the Comcast deal, pay $200 with $200 visa prepaid card, free activation. Then suspend line until visa prepaid card comes and etf. You would pay $350 plus one days service plus tax, though buying from tmobile would incur more tax than Verizon if bought when the note 3 was $200
    I don't want to cancel the line. I like having the extra line as an emergency phone. I keep it in my mother's car so if she ever forgets her phone, or forgets to charge her phone, there is always a working phone in her car.

And to think we used to drive cars without having phones on us a mere 15 years ago and never felt unsafe doing so. Now I get a bit panicky if I forget my phone thinking, what will I do if I get a flat tire?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  

I don't want to cancel the line. I like having the extra line as an emergency phone. I keep it in my mother's car so if she ever forgets her phone, or forgets to charge her phone, there is always a working phone in her car.

And to think we used to drive cars without having phones on us a mere 15 years ago and never felt unsafe doing so. Now I get a bit panicky if I forget my phone thinking, what will I do if I get a flat tire?
    Sure you have that option. There are sometimes deals for new lines and waived activation which you could take advantage of if you cancelled the line. But obviously if you have a need, then yeah, use it as a basic line. If you plan to keep it as a spare phone in the car, I recommend keeping the battery separate from the phone. And consider password protecting the phone as you are liabile if someone stole the phone and made calls. my family had cell phone service over 15 years ago, on Verizon, though I did move to att for a few years in the early 00s

Sure you have that option. There are sometimes deals for new lines and waived activation which you could take advantage of if you cancelled the line. But obviously if you have a need, then yeah, use it as a basic line. If you plan to keep it as a spare phone in the car, I recommend keeping the battery separate from the phone. And consider password protecting the phone as you are liabile if someone stole the phone and made calls. my family had cell phone service over 15 years ago, on Verizon, though I did move to att for a few years in the early 00s
    I had it on ATT at least as early as 1993, but I only used it as an emergency line because it was too expensive to use it for any other purpose! Probably no more expensive in 1993 dollars than a line today, but not a lot of people had them back then so it seemed like a luxury.

Is there any negative credit hit for canceling a line as long as you pay the ETF?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  

I had it on ATT at least as early as 1993, but I only used it as an emergency line because it was too expensive to use it for any other purpose! Probably no more expensive in 1993 dollars than a line today, but not a lot of people had them back then so it seemed like a luxury.

Is there any negative credit hit for canceling a line as long as you pay the ETF?
    It depends, if you have multiple lines and cancel just one then it shouldn't matter. If you have one line and cancel then it may show up as a closed account.

Thanked by:

BTW, what is this $20 data plan? That's what I thought, too, but today I double-checked my bill, and it said $29.99 for "Email and Web unlimited." And when I upgraded my dumb line later today, it said $29.99 for 2GB.
    A 2GB data plan is $30, not $29.99. I think that right there is the proof that the verizon rep did not transfer the upgrade and instead did the upgrade on your unlimited data line. Lucky for you that you caught it within 14 days and could get someone in tech support to reverse what she did.

THIS is why I avoid verizon reps, especially the one who was manning the comcast promo line the night we were both doing this. She outright lied to you about the promo not being available if you did this online because she got some sort of bonus or commission for doing the upgrade for you and didn't want to lose it if you went online. I could tell she was lying just by the tone of her voice, which wasn't sweet at all when I challenged her on the BS she was spewing. I gave her an earful about the open access restrictions on Verizon's Block C licenses, lol!

You are very lucky you got someone to restore your unlimited data.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  

A 2GB data plan is $30, not $29.99. I think that right there is the proof that the verizon rep did not transfer the upgrade and instead did the upgrade on your unlimited data line. Lucky for you that you caught it within 14 days and could get someone in tech support to reverse what she did.

THIS is why I avoid verizon reps, especially the one who was manning the comcast promo line the night we were both doing this. She outright lied to you about the promo not being available if you did this online because she got some sort of bonus or commission for doing the upgrade for you and didn't want to lose it if you went online. I could tell she was lying just by the tone of her voice, which wasn't sweet at all when I challenged her on the BS she was spewing. I gave her an earful about the open access restrictions on Verizon's Block C licenses, lol!

You are very lucky you got someone to restore your unlimited data.
    Yeah, personally I would only transfer upgrade online. Calling in, there is a chance they won't do it right

Thanked by:

Deal is good until Dec 6.

looks like they renewed the deal until the 21st!

However, every time I call that number, the phone reps seem very confused that I did not have to put my comcast account number in anywhere. I told them I did not go for the comcast credit, rather the visa prepaid card. They insist if there is not a code associated with my comcast account, I will not receive the VISA prepaid card.

I will in all likelihood return the phone if I do not receive the prepaid card within 30 days as promised by the confirmation screen I received.

looks like they renewed the deal until the 21st!

However, every time I call that number, the phone reps seem very confused that I did not have to put my comcast account number in anywhere. I told them I did not go for the comcast credit, rather the visa prepaid card. They insist if there is not a code associated with my comcast account, I will not receive the VISA prepaid card.

I will in all likelihood return the phone if I do not receive the prepaid card within 30 days as promised by the confirmation screen I received.
    That's good to know. A coworker is looking for a Note 3 but isn't eligible for an upgrade until later in the summer. I may just go ahead and use my mom's upgrade (again) for one, get the $200 GC, and then sell the Note 3 to them...

Quote Originally Posted by raichur0xx0rz View Post
    That's good to know. A coworker is looking for a Note 3 but isn't eligible for an upgrade until later in the summer. I may just go ahead and use my mom's upgrade (again) for one, get the $200 GC, and then sell the Note 3 to them...
    I take it your mom's line isn't an unlimited data line, correct?

I take it your mom's line isn't an unlimited data line, correct?
    Right - just a normal line. I'm on Share Everything with... 6 lines? 2GB is good enough for us haha.

Although, the other day when I was looking at my account, when it first pulled up, it said I had Unlimited Data. But then I refreshed and it went back to 2GB =[

The number to call to confirm if you are in the system for the GC is 1-888-710-4175. I was given 3 other numbers before I was finally given that one and the rep confirmed I would be getting the GC. I ordered online. I knew the phone reps were full of sheet when they said you had to order by phone. They obviously got some sort of commission and that is why they lied. I could tell by the reps voice she was lying.

Anyhow, I was told it takes 8-10 weeks for them to send the GC. We should expect our GCs no earlier than the first week in February.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Anyhow, I was told it takes 8-10 weeks for them to send the GC. We should expect our GCs no earlier than the first week in February.
    Has anyone received their gift card?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  

Quote Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
    Has anyone received their gift card?
    I am reading that some have gotten their cards.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

I am reading that some have gotten their cards.
    This past week?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #69  

This past week?
    2 people posted that they received it today

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

2 people posted that they received it today

I see some people saying they can check their status online. How do you do that?

ETA - I found it here:

Says they need more info and to call them.
    Last edited by Cozume; 02-12-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Got my card last week only for $100. Called 1-866-347-2229. Was on hold for 30 mins. They say that they only full feel the requests that come in from verizon and they gave me the number to call (toll free):(804)663-7108. Just called them, zero wait time. Person on the phone said that they will send additional $100 card. Should receive in 7-10 business days. Will see how that goes...

Placed my order on 12/1, but still no card. Called 1-888-710-4175, was asked to call 1-866-347-2229, then also was on hold like forever. They said that Verizon had sent them no information, then asked me all sorts of info, and said that the card should arrive in 14 days. We'll see.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #73  

Looks like the deal is back again.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator

Looks like the deal is back again.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    That's great but how many people actually received these cards?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by musorok123@yahoo.com View Post
    Got my card last week only for $100. Called 1-866-347-2229. Was on hold for 30 mins. They say that they only full feel the requests that come in from verizon and they gave me the number to call (toll free)804)663-7108. Just called them, zero wait time. Person on the phone said that they will send additional $100 card. Should receive in 7-10 business days. Will see how that goes...
    Did you ever get the other $100 card?

- - - Updated - - -

Placed my order on 12/1, but still no card. Called 1-888-710-4175, was asked to call 1-866-347-2229, then also was on hold like forever. They said that Verizon had sent them no information, then asked me all sorts of info, and said that the card should arrive in 14 days. We'll see.
    Did you ever get your card?

I see some people saying they can check their status online. How do you do that?

ETA - I found it here:

Says they need more info and to call them.

- - - Updated - - -

The number to call to confirm if you are in the system for the GC is 1-888-710-4175. I was given 3 other numbers before I was finally given that one and the rep confirmed I would be getting the GC. I ordered online. I knew the phone reps were full of sheet when they said you had to order by phone. They obviously got some sort of commission and that is why they lied. I could tell by the reps voice she was lying.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast