Screen types

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been happy with my Bionic and still have some time before I'm eligible for upgrade, but I've started wondering what options are out there with the new/coming phones for screens. I simply hate the super AMOLED screens that have become so popular because of the annoying green tint, which is even worse the more I dim the screen (which I do a lot). That was why I chose the Bionic over the Razr when signing up. Are all phones in Verizon's Android lineup now coming with the super AMOLED screens, or are there any decent phones with either a regular LCD like the Bionic or something else that solved the green tint issue?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been happy with my Bionic and still have some time before I'm eligible for upgrade, but I've started wondering what options are out there with the new/coming phones for screens. I simply hate the super AMOLED screens that have become so popular because of the annoying green tint, which is even worse the more I dim the screen (which I do a lot). That was why I chose the Bionic over the Razr when signing up. Are all phones in Verizon's Android lineup now coming with the super AMOLED screens, or are there any decent phones with either a regular LCD like the Bionic or something else that solved the green tint issue?

DROID MINI has an LCD.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, the Droid Mini has an LCD, and so do the HTC One and LG G2. Motorola and Samsung more often use the AMOLEDs.

Also, I find that the 2013 Droids have a Purple Tint instead of the Green. Just wanted to point that out - you may like purple more...? =P

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
One max I think has a lcd as well

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
But is the One Max a decent phone? =P

Though I do think it's the only super-large screen device with LCD on Verizon...

The screen and external speakers are great. It does weigh nearly 30% more and is quite a bit taller and a bit thicker than the note 3. Performance wise it is basically a larger one, same snapdragon 600 (Note 3 uses the snapdragon 800) and 2gb ram (vs 3gb on the note 3)

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The screen and external speakers are great. It does weigh nearly 30% more and is quite a bit taller and a bit thicker than the note 3. Performance wise it is basically a larger one, same snapdragon 600 (Note 3 uses the snapdragon 800) and 2gb ram (vs 3gb on the note 3)

Haha, yeah I was just teasing since I don't really think it's worth the money. =P

It's a decent device in terms of performance, but if I were going big, I'd go Note 3.

Just due to the fact that they're charging a premium for an over-sized HTC One takes away the "decent device" label for me.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, and I figured options are being limited. I don't care the actual screen technology, so long as whites show up true white. The reason I specified LCD was because it's what the Bionic uses.

Though I would prefer purple over green, given those were my two choices. Lol

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Haha, yeah I was just teasing since I don't really think it's worth the money. =P

It's a decent device in terms of performance, but if I were going big, I'd go Note 3.

Just due to the fact that they're charging a premium for an over-sized HTC One takes away the "decent device" label for me.

The one max was $90 not long ago, so not terribly priced. Of course the note 3 was $200 with $200 visa prepaid card recently as well.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, and I figured options are being limited. I don't care the actual screen technology, so long as whites show up true white. The reason I specified LCD was because it's what the Bionic uses.

Note 3 screen is pretty good as well, not one max level though. I would check whatever you want out in stores before buying to make sure it suits your needs.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

It's also worth mentioning that the color accuracy improves a bit on the S4 and Note 3 once you switch them to Movie mode. Pretty much all of this year's flagships have very good screens with decent color accuracy though, with HTC's being up top. I guess it will depend on how well-trained your eyes are to the colors, as many people can't really tell the difference and prefer oversaturated screens.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My eye is apparently more sensitive to that sort of thing than most. In bright light, it looks about right to me and others can't tell. At least not until I compare it side by side to my screen, then they can. If that were all, phones like the Razr and S3 would have been fine. I work a lot over nights as a driver and want to have access to GPS without glare. So I've gone so far as getting apps like Root Dim to take my backlight down below stock. That's when the green tint really stood out. Even at stock minimum brightness, it got bad. So yeah, I'm in a bit of a unique situation.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My eye is apparently more sensitive to that sort of thing than most. In bright light, it looks about right to me and others can't tell. At least not until I compare it side by side to my screen, then they can. If that were all, phones like the Razr and S3 would have been fine. I work a lot over nights as a driver and want to have access to GPS without glare. So I've gone so far as getting apps like Root Dim to take my backlight down below stock. That's when the green tint really stood out. Even at stock minimum brightness, it got bad. So yeah, I'm in a bit of a unique situation.

In your situation, you should go to the store and take a look at the options. For most people, any current high end phone would be fine.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Also look up some reviews of the devices in question on AnandTech, as they will have a section dedicated to screen quality with plenty of comparisons and whatnot in regards to color accuracy and brightness ranges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer