Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By diesteldorf
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon "stole" my phone....

Normally, I don't typically go with sensational headlines, but I wanted to share my story and vent.

As you know by now, if you upgrade a line with Unlimited Data directly, you will lose it. I only had to single lines (both upgrade eligible) with unlimited data, so I knew I needed a basic line, so I would have somewhere to transfer the upgrades to.

A few months ago, I searched the net and found someone who wanted to give up his line. It still had 18 months on the contract, but he was including his Samsung s III in great condition at no charge, so I took the deal. The ETF was $290, but I was able to sell the S III for $250 net after fees, so I felt good.

A few months later, I transferred both upgrades from my Unlimited Lines to the newly acquired basic line, upgraded both, and still have unlimited data on each after 2 months....now to the present....

I no longer had a use for the basic line, so posted an ad online and offered $100 to anyone willing to pickup the line, which still had nearly 17 months left on the contract with a $280 ETF. I wasn't that serious about pushing to get rid of the line and knew that a 100% incentive may not be enough, but I got a response that night and the next day we closed the deal and the basic line was history....

When lines are transferred initially, the last piece of equipment that is on the line goes with it--in the computer system only. I elected to keep my basic Motorola Brarrage and assumed she would activate her own phone, especially since she told me she was using my $100 to buy a phone from her friend.

A couple weeks ago, I had a situation where I needed to assume another basic line, got lucky and picked up a 12 month contract with a free Droid DNA from someone switching to prepaid.

I brought out my trusty Barrage and tried to activate it but couldn't. The VZW rep couldn't either but she wasn't sure why. Later, she determined it was on the negative list for non-payment and was added by financial services.....

After scratching my head, and reading between the lines, after talking to several reps, I figured out what happened.

After she assumed my line, she never activated her own equipment and the ESN from my Barrage remained on the line. She ran into financial issues and VZW flagged the ESN--my phone--for non-payment.

Now, a couple of things:

1) I ever included the phone when I transferred the line
    2) The phone and the line never showed any usage after she assumed it--since I still had the phone.

Verizon was sympathetic, but mentioned that she technically owned my phone since it was on the line at the time of transfer and she never removed it.

They mentioned I could contact her and ask her to call Verizon, so that she could add her own equipment. A couple of things:

1) I would rather not contact her
    2) VZW will probably require her pay them money before they will change the ESN, assuming she has one to give them
    3) My Barrage, while a great basic phone, in good shape, with great reception is probably only worth $25 to $50

I have heard that if the line and account go into collections, the ESN may be released in the future, and while I'd like to have my phone back, I really can't wish her financial distress and poor credit.

A VZW rep did mention I could've asked them to put a Dummy ESN on the line before I authorized the transfer, but, I never thought of that.

After all, how many people assume a line and never add their own equipment or use the line?

Oh, and if you are ever planning to sell a line that has unlimited data, DO NOT ask them to add a dummy ESN, as it will kill the data plan.

OK, my rant is over. Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by diesteldorf; 12-08-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    Thanked by:
    romdude likes this.

Default Re: Verizon "stole" my phone....

That's a horrible story and such a shame. Its one of those moments you just live with the lesson and move on. I'm sure Verizon has their reasons such as you may have sold the line with the phone included and then went back on it. Hard to say really.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Please don't make light of theft. This is not the case here. My note 3 was stolen by FedEx(or Verizon) and I got an empty box. That is real theft.

What you should have done is to after the line was assumed, to activate the phone onto your account.

Because the account was behind in payment, Verizon blacklisted the active phone on the line.

If you are going to say someone stole your phone, it would be the person who assumed liability of the line.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:
    Simon_y7 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Please don't make light of theft. This is not the case here. My note 3 was stolen by FedEx(or Verizon) and I got an empty box. That is real theft.

What you should have done is to after the line was assumed, to activate the phone onto your account.

Because the account was behind in payment, Verizon blacklisted the active phone on the line.

Not trying to make light of theft, hence the quotes, but I can also empathize with your situation. Also, once the line is assumed, she would've needed to be the one to remove the ESN and add her own equipment. I would've been unable to re-add the phone on my account as long as it was on an already active line.

Of course, I also didn't have any basic lines to put it on if I could've.

The suggestion of adding a dummy esn, prior to the transfer would've worked, but was never thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    Not trying to make light of theft, hence the quotes, but I can also empathize with your situation. Also, once the line is assumed, she would've needed to be the one to remove the ESN and add her own equipment. I would've been unable to re-add the phone on my account as long as it was on an already active line.

Of course, I also didn't have any basic lines to put it on if I could've.

The suggestion of adding a dummy esn, prior to the transfer would've worked, but was never thought of.
    Ah, I guess that makes sense. Hopefully she will pay the bill and release your phone. Odd situation there though, unless she was already planning to not pay or file bankruptcy or something soon.

Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    A VZW rep did mention I could've asked them to put a Dummy ESN on the line before I authorized the transfer, but, I never thought of that.

Oh, and if you are ever planning to sell a line that has unlimited data, DO NOT ask them to add a dummy ESN, as it will kill the data plan.
    Very good points. Thanks.