1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Default Activate New Off Contract MOTO X on Business Acct Line from Note 2

I have a new unlocked MOTO X coming from Cyber Wednesday deal to go with my Note 2 on my business account line. I believe the SIM cards are different sizes so I can't just swap between the two which is what I had hoped to do. I am not the business account admin but am friends with him in the office. I would rather not involve anyone from work though if possible.

So the questions:
    1. Will the new phone come with a sim installed?
    2. Can I just call verizon business support to activate the new phone on my existing line without involving the company admins?
    3. Is it easier or better to do this at a corporate verizon store?
    4. Is there any way to use both phones on the line without calling Verizon to activate and deactivate each time?
    5. Is there a way to do this swapping online without being an account admin? That would be best case.
    6. Actually, best case would be to just swap SIM cards but given the different sizes I doubt that is possible. Any work arounds?

Thanks in advance for the info.
    EJ

Default Re: Activate New Off Contract MOTO X on Business Acct Line from Note 2

Just go to a Verizon store and get a SIM card. You can't use both phones on one line.

Sent from my dlx using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ejfiii View Post
    So the questions:
    1. Will the new phone come with a sim installed?
    Yes, the Verizon Moto X's come with Verizon SIM cards, including the Verizon Moto X DE

2. Can I just call verizon business support to activate the new phone on my existing line without involving the company admins?
    The SIM card that comes with the phone has to be associated with your phone number through Verizon either online (which requires that you have the account User ID and password) or by phone (which requires you to be listed as an authorized person on the account and to have the account passcode). When you call Verizon, they will ask you your name and for the account passcode and if you are not authorized on the account or don't have the account passcode, then no, you won't be able to do it.

3. Is it easier or better to do this at a corporate verizon store?
    You won't be allowed to do it at a store either unless you are authorized on the account to do it. They will ask for a driver's license from you in store. Over the phone they will ask your name and for the passcode.

4. Is there any way to use both phones on the line without calling Verizon to activate and deactivate each time?
    There are SIM card adapters and SIM card cutters that you can use to make the SIM card you have (which is already associated with your phone number) fit into both devices. The GNote 2 has a micro SIM card and the Moto X has a nano SIM card. You could buy a nano SIM cutter to cut the micro SIM down and then a micro to nano adapter for use in the GNote 2.

However, when you switch between phones by switching SIM cards, it will show up in the account that a new phone is on the line. Everytime I switch SIMs between phones, after I log onto Verizon, I can see that I did that because it shows me what phone is currently on the line. Also, if you have asurion insurance, it only applies to the phone that is active and if you keep switching back and forth, I am not sure how that works with the insurance coverage.

And the account admin can set up the account to have email or text alerts to be notified of this sort of change. So if your company doesn't allow you to do this, you could be found out quite easily.

5. Is there a way to do this swapping online without being an account admin? That would be best case.
    Yes, if the account admin has authorized you to do it and given you the online User ID and password. If you obtain those without the account owner's permission, I guarantee you that you will have broken a law and could be potentially subject to criminal prosecution no matter what state you live in should the account owner choose to pursue criminal charges. There could be civil fines, too.

Remember - you do not own that line; your employer does. Unless you are authorized by your employer to make changes to the account, including changing the phone on a line, I urge you not to do it or you could find yourself in trouble with your employer and depending on what you have done, the law, both criminally and civilly.

6. Actually, best case would be to just swap SIM cards but given the different sizes I doubt that is possible. Any work arounds?
    Yes, see above with the SIM cutter and SIM adapter. However, please also keep in mind everything else I said - you do not own the line, and swapping phones like that not only will show up online but there could be alerts set up on the account, too, that will notify admin of the change. And especially keep in mind that if you are not allowed to do this, you could lose your job.

It's just not worth it. Ask for permission to do this and if they say no, then don't do it. Or pay for your own verizon account to use the Moto X on.

To reiterate - that line is not yours. It is the property of your employer so treat it like you would treat any property of your employer's and don't do something with it you are not authorized to do.

I am not sure how business accounts work, but for personal accounts, you would have to be either the account owner or account manager. The account owner can assign account managers.

You won't be able to get a new sim unless you are either the account owner or account manager, for a personal line at least.

You cannot use two phones on the same line at the same time, legally at least.

Easiest way to get the Moto X up and running without dealing with Verizon or the account owner /manager would be to cut the micro sim to nano sim

You can get a nano to micro adapter for use with the old phone.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by huskers15 View Post
    Just go to a Verizon store and get a SIM card. You can't use both phones on one line.
    Verizon will only give him a SIM card for a new phone if he is authorized on his employer's account to get one for a new phone. They will ask for ID in store and over the phone you need a passcode to get one mailed to you.

But anyhow, his phone will come with a nano SIM in it. The problem as I explained is that the SIM card has be to associated with his phone number and Verizon will only do that for people who are authorized on the account to do it. From what he has posted, he is not authorized to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Easiest way to get the Moto X up and running without dealing with Verizon or the account owner /manager would be to cut the micro sim to nano sim

You can get a nano to micro adapter for use with the old phone.
    Yeah, but it would show up in the account that he has done this and if he is not authorized to do it, he could get in trouble at work. And as I mentioned an account can be set up such that a text or email alert is sent to the account admin when there is a change to a line.

My guess is that his employer would not want him to have an unlocked phone on their account so that is why he doesn't want to involve work.

Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    Yeah, but it would show up in the account that he has done this and if he is not authorized to do it, he could get in trouble at work. And as I mentioned an account can be set up such that a text or email alert is sent to the account admin when there is a change to a line.

My guess is that his employer would not want him to have an unlocked phone on their account so that is why he doesn't want to involve work.
    It can be done. I am assuming that the company allows it because he said that he could talk to his friend to do it but wanted to avoid the hassle. Obviously the account owner and account managers would be able to know about these changes so if you are not authorized to do it, then don't.

It can be done.
    I know, I posted the same thing to him. I just wanted him to understand the potential ramifications of doing things that are not authorized.

I am assuming that the company allows it because he said that he could talk to his friend to do it but wanted to avoid the hassle.
    Well, I was reading between the lines and may have read too much into what he said, but if the company allows you to put unlocked phones on their lines, you don't have to be friends with someone in admin to get it done; it would be an acceptable, routine request that they would do for any employee regardless of whether or not they were friends with the employee.

I don't know too many companies that will allow employees to put unlocked phones on their business line. I would hate to see someone lose their job over something like a phone.
    Thanked by:

Good point.