Verizon is giving me a headache

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Ever since November I've been dropping calls. Not just dropping but losing signal entirely for periods of 20-40 seconds. Its random and no specific trigger sets it off. You can see the signal drop in the picture below.

ge5yje6e.jpg

I've had 3 in a row and I've had solo drops. The signal drops the call immediately and always makes that digital "click" for a disconnect. I contacted Verizon about it and they opened a trouble ticket. Verizon called me back just short of a week later and told me they found no tower issue and it must be my phone (Droid Maxx). I reluctantly agreed so I got a replacement and later that night more dropped calls. I call Verizon back and they open a new ticket. I go to Verizon and do a SIM swap and had to nearly beg for one because they kept telling me it won't help. I said I will agree with you but I'm doing every step possible to solve it. A week later after filing I hear nothing so I call and Verizon escalates the issue. Yesterday I get a call saying they didn't find an issue but replaced some equipment. Okay, great. All is good until midnight when I drop another call.

I call Verizon this morning. The tech support asks what I want and I said I'm at a loss. You say the tower is fine and yet I'm having issues. I requested an Alternate Replacement. I asked for a Note 3 as its the only current device on Verizon that has similar battery life and I will never use an LG device so the G2 is out. He asks his supervisor and I get a flat out no can do. "You're eligible for an upgrade so you can do that to hopefully escape these issues". The issue he said is my dropped calls isn't at 5% but rather 3.5% which is "acceptable". First off, I went from 0% to 3.5%. That's ridiculous! I flat out declined and said I just spent big money on the Droid Maxx and I'm not about to sign a new contract, lose unlimited data and lose all bargaining power because now Verizon would own me. And what happens if the issue continues and I'm under contract? Just another headache.

I get off the phone and call back. I get another tech support and he's contacting the engineer who is working on the tower. If all else fails he said I SHOULD most definitely be offered a Note 3 Alternate Replacement if they can't find any tower issues. I'd prefer to keep the Droid Maxx as the size, power and battery is perfect but I'm not going to lose calls like this.

Note: This all started after Motorola launched the latest update. So its obviously the device and its been replaced multiple times. I did contact Motorola and they were less helpful than a box of rocks. Verizon was the first to mention an alternate replacement however they were offering the S3 which is laughable. I know I'm pushing it but sometimes you have to.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Damn, that sucks. Hopefully it will get resolved. Are others with the Droid Maxx having similar problems?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Damn, that sucks. Hopefully it will get resolved. Are others with the Droid Maxx having similar problems?

Seems to mostly happen at my home so it is probably a combination of the way the two communicate. Although I've seen it once away from home. Granted my phone is used far more at home so I'm more likely yo notice it. My dad has zero issues with his phone and its a Samsung. I've never seen a phone constantly drop signal to the degree that it has nothing when the norm is 4 bars

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Motorlla tends to have better signal than Samsung phones. It's probably the service around your home is not good or u just got a bad phone. Can u update the prl??

Sent from my dlx using AC Forums mobile app

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Motorlla tends to have better signal than Samsung phones. It's probably the service around your home is not good or u just got a bad phone. Can u update the prl??

Sent from my dlx using AC Forums mobile app

Motorola does tend to have better signal but oddly enough ever since the last update on two devices I've had the issue. I've never dropped calls before and all of a sudden its a daily occurrence and they said the towers are fine. Everything on my end is okay.

LTE phones don't allow for me to do a PRL update. Any updates are automatic and *228 was for non LTE devices. Any resets happened if not automatically then when Verizon refreshed my line

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That definitely does suck... I don't blame you for not taking the S3...that is not a valid option.

It really does suck that it is happening randomly and they don't want to take fault for it. It's not your fault if the phone software is messed up and also isn't your fault if it's a tower issue so Verizon needs to own up. Although I can't say I'm surprised they don't want to.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also I have said it before and I'll say it again.. It always surprises me that no other carrier has copied T-Mobile's wifi calling. It helps the carrier by getting you off their spectrum when on wifi and also solves issues like these since you can use your wifi for calls.

Guess they just don't want to deal with it?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Also I have said it before and I'll say it again.. It always surprises me that no other carrier has copied T-Mobile's wifi calling. It helps the carrier by getting you off their spectrum when on wifi and also solves issues like these since you can use your wifi for calls.

Guess they just don't want to deal with it?

That definitely does suck... I don't blame you for not taking the S3...that is not a valid option.

It really does suck that it is happening randomly and they don't want to take fault for it. It's not your fault if the phone software is messed up and also isn't your fault if it's a tower issue so Verizon needs to own up. Although I can't say I'm surprised they don't want to.

Most likely. I feel like 2-3 weeks of this nonsense is enough already. Own up to it. This is why I left ATT years ago. Well, sort of. My contract ended and I couldn't call my now ex-girlfriend. I could call everyone else. Waited a few days no resolution. So I said I'm going to have to leave and instead of offering a solution they wanted me to sign a new contract. Like. Really?

Needless to say I didn't, ported my number to T-Mobile back then and I now could call her. What a concept... My latest Verizin contract ended in November, right around when the update came out. That's when calls started to drop. Not claiming its on purpose but how fitting...

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
This is partially the reason I left Verizon, for some reason I kept dropping calls and signal and it was not being resolved. At that point I had already thought about leaving for a while and it just pushed me over the edge. I've honestly never been happier with a phone/service, only complaint is that t-mobile has super bad building penetration, but WiFi calling takes care of that. I hope you get your problem fixed! I know you've been around here a while, I've seen you on the maxx HD forums when we both had those.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This is partially the reason I left Verizon, for some reason I kept dropping calls and signal and it was not being resolved. At that point I had already thought about leaving for a while and it just pushed me over the edge. I've honestly never been happier with a phone/service, only complaint is that t-mobile has super bad building penetration, but WiFi calling takes care of that. I hope you get your problem fixed! I know you've been around here a while, I've seen you on the maxx HD forums when we both had those.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Thank you! :)

I just need this to get settled one way or another. I just want a properly working phone that can make phone calls without issues. WiFi can handle the data.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I got a text from Verizon saying they still haven't talked to the engineer and he will call me tomorrow. ;(

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Since you have helped me, im helping you. This is the secret back door number to the powers that be at Verizon Wireless. or email cersmwexecutiverelations@verizonwireless.com

I'll try that tomorrow since shes out of the office. Thanks for that number. Even if I get something done I still feel like something needs to be said because this run around is beyond ridiculous.

Thank you

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Verizon tech support called me back and agreed its the device. They said however all they can offer me is a replacement Droid Maxx. I declined because I'm tired of buying more screen protectors and taking the time to install perfectly.

The other thing they asked me to do is:

1.) Run in Safe Mode for a week. Not going to happen. A day isn't good enough. They want a week.

2.) Go without a case. I've dropped calls without a case but they want a more extended period which is beyond acceptable.

Still, even if I did this, they said my only options are a replacement Droid Maxx or to live with it. They said in a 30 days time between all outgoing and incoming I've dropped 24 calls. To them that's not a lot. To me that's unacceptable.

I may be speaking out of anger but Verizon can go... Use your imagination.

Edit: Now I have to call back because I'm over my minutes by 63. Every time they called me they did so from a non air time free number. Unbelievable.

Edit #2: Called me back for some reason and offered a G2 or an S4. I declined because I will never use a G2 ( said to have voice quality issues, dont like the Android skin and have had bad experiences) and the S4 battery is so weak I wouldn't be able to do it. Maybe I'm being picky but at this point I'm maybe going to T-Mobile tomorrow to check it out.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon tech support called me back and agreed its the device. They said however all they can offer me is a replacement Droid Maxx. I declined because I'm tired of buying more screen protectors and taking the time to install perfectly.

The other thing they asked me to do is:

1.) Run in Safe Mode for a week. Not going to happen. A day isn't good enough. They want a week.

2.) Go without a case. I've dropped calls without a case but they want a more extended period which is beyond acceptable.

Still, even if I did this, they said my only options are a replacement Droid Maxx or to live with it. They said in a 30 days time between all outgoing and incoming I've dropped 24 calls. To them that's not a lot. To me that's unacceptable.

I may be speaking out of anger but Verizon can go... Use your imagination.

Edit: Now I have to call back because I'm over my minutes by 63. Every time they called me they did so from a non air time free number. Unbelievable.

Edit #2: Called me back for some reason and offered a G2 or an S4. I declined because I will never use a G2 ( said to have voice quality issues, dont like the Android skin and have had bad experiences) and the S4 battery is so weak I wouldn't be able to do it. Maybe I'm being picky but at this point I'm maybe going to T-Mobile tomorrow to check it out.

What about offering to pay the price difference between the maxx and Note 3?

They are offering a refurbished s4 or g2 right? I would just take a g2 to try it out. Then it having issues, send it back, you might have to go through a few replacements. Obviously don't send back your maxx.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
What about offering to pay the price difference between the maxx and Note 3?

They are offering a refurbished s4 or g2 right? I would just take a g2 to try it out. Then it having issues, send it back, you might have to go through a few replacements. Obviously don't send back your maxx.

I wrote that while I was on the phone. I allowed her to attempt it but the supervisor said my only option is a replacement Maxx or upgrade.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My GNote3 signal is no better in my area than my GNex signal. Samsung radios are crap.

I don't think this is a direct radio to tower issue. The radio seems to turn off and in Verizon's system its a Code 2 or in other words the person on the other end hung up. However, we know this isn't true now that Verizon representatives also lost me 5 times today. Anything would be an improvement sadly.