Trying to save unlimited... will this work on a Loyalty Share plan?

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Trying to save my unlimited data... 2 lines on Nationwide Loyalty Share 550 plan. One of the lines has unlimited data. Can I add a brand new 3rd line to the family plan and get a Moto X, transfer the Moto X from the brand new line to the unlimited line, then downgrade the brand new line to a $9.99 dumb phone rate (and put it in a drawer)? Will this work? Doesn't seem too bad to have to pay $9.99/month * 24 months for a Moto X. Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes it would work. You would have to pay taxes and fees same as your other lines.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Both lines have upgrades. Mine has unlimited, so that's not an option. My wife's line has the 4gb data plan back when they had that double data promo. But, she also wants a new Moto X. Will she lose the 4gb plan when she upgrades?

For me, paying the $240 for 2 years for the dumb phone line ($9.99/month * 24 months makes complete sense. It's cheaper than paying the off contract price, even cheaper than the Cyber Monday Motorola $150 off fiasco. Plus, I got in on the Comcast $200 promo, so that will offset the majority of the $240. I just haven't tried activating the Moto X yet. Making sure I have all the info before trying, though I need to do it within the 14-day window in case things don't work and I want to cut bait and return it.

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
This is what you do. Use the upgrade on the non-unlimited line. After that, do an alternate upgrade and transfer your unlimited upgrade to the non-unlimited line. You don't need to open a 3rd line and you'll keep unlimited on your main line.

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
This is interesting... this really works? Sounds like I am upgrading the non-unlimited line twice. When I do this "alternate upgrade"... it will extend the contract of the unlimited line correct? Just b/c I'm not putting a new on-contract priced phone on the unlimited line, then I'm allowed to keep the unlimited? And I'm activating 2 brand new phones first on the non-unlimited line correct?

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes you're activating both new phones on the non-unlimited line. When you do an alternate upgrade you extend the contract of the line you transferred from, not transferred to. So yes in your case it would extend the unlimited line.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Trying to save my unlimited data... 2 lines on Nationwide Loyalty Share 550 plan. One of the lines has unlimited data. Can I add a brand new 3rd line to the family plan and get a Moto X, transfer the Moto X from the brand new line to the unlimited line, then downgrade the brand new line to a $9.99 dumb phone rate (and put it in a drawer)? Will this work? Doesn't seem too bad to have to pay $9.99/month * 24 months for a Moto X. Thanks!

Yes, no need for a basic line. Cares is 100% correct

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Both lines have upgrades. Mine has unlimited, so that's not an option. My wife's line has the 4gb data plan back when they had that double data promo. But, she also wants a new Moto X. Will she lose the 4gb plan when she upgrades?

For me, paying the $240 for 2 years for the dumb phone line ($9.99/month * 24 months makes complete sense. It's cheaper than paying the off contract price, even cheaper than the Cyber Monday Motorola $150 off fiasco. Plus, I got in on the Comcast $200 promo, so that will offset the majority of the $240. I just haven't tried activating the Moto X yet. Making sure I have all the info before trying, though I need to do it within the 14-day window in case things don't work and I want to cut bait and return it.

You can keep the 4gb double data plan, but some third party might not allow it. When I tried to upgrade at best buy, they did not let me keep my $20 tiered data plan, but upgrading directly from Verizon was okay.

If you bought directly from Verizon on or after 11 /28 , you have until 1 /15 to return.

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Can this be done online or should I got to a VZW store? Can it be done at Best Buy?
What is the order that this needs to be completed in? Sounds like I'm applying the upgrade on the non-unlimited line in both cases. When does the Moto X stay on the non-unlimited line? When I do the non-unlimited line upgrade? Or when I do the alternate upgrade? Ultimately I want to get a new phone for both lines.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
It is best to do it online. Just upgrade the 4gb line first. Activate the phone on the 4gb line. Then transfer the upgrade from the unlimited line. Activate it on the 4gb line. Then put the phone on what ever line you want.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Mr. Toad!

Where do I go in my online Verizon account to transfer the upgrade?

In your example, I'll be activating a phone on the 4gb line 1st, then doing the transfer upgrade, and then activating a 2nd phone on the 4gb line. So, 2 phones will be activated on the 4gb line at the same time, that works?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Mr. Toad!

Where do I go in my online Verizon account to transfer the upgrade?

In your example, I'll be activating a phone on the 4gb line 1st, then doing the transfer upgrade, and then activating a 2nd phone on the 4gb line. So, 2 phones will be activated on the 4gb line at the same time, that works?

On the same screen that you go to for upgrade, it will let you transfer the upgrade . Your method is correct

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to try to get over to either a Verizon Store or Best Buy tonight and see if a rep at one of those places can help me out. The value for me of doing it in store is the sales tax savings. I'm in MA and we get charged sales tax on the full retail price of the phone!!! Or, I can drive to the store in NH and pay NO sales tax. If this works, then I will cancel the 3rd line that I just opened and return its phone. If anyone has any other tips for success, please let me know. I will post my results.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to try to get over to either a Verizon Store or Best Buy tonight and see if a rep at one of those places can help me out. The value for me of doing it in store is the sales tax savings. I'm in MA and we get charged sales tax on the full retail price of the phone!!! Or, I can drive to the store in NH and pay NO sales tax. If this works, then I will cancel the 3rd line that I just opened and return its phone. If anyone has any other tips for success, please let me know. I will post my results.

Good luck, and make sure to 📖 it over carefully, many times they will do the alternative upgrade which would cause the loss of unlimited data

frank33v

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

Not sure where you are closer to but if you go up to the Pheasant Lane mall the VZ agents there won't do it. I called the ones in Amherst and they told me they couldn't guarantee I wouldn't lose my unlimited. There is a wireless zone VZ agent in the mall though that claimed they can do it for you though so you might want to try them first.

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey Frank, thanks for the info. I was going to try the VZW store in the Toys R Us plaza, next to Modells. Not the store that's actually in the mall. Did you happen to try that one? Going to try Best Buy first, though, since I have some gift cards. Also, thinking about the VZW kiosk in BJ's.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
what is the difference between an alternative upgrade and transferring an upgrade?

Alternative upgrade upgrades the line first and then transfers the phone to the new line. You will lose unlimited data if you did this. Typically when you call in our do an upgrade in store, they will do this.

Transferring the upgrade transfers the upgrade to the new line then applies the upgrade. This is what happens when you transfer th upgrade online, and allows you to retain unlimited data. Note that csr can do this method as well but based on what I read, most chose not to.

mjcotter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
On the same screen that you go to for upgrade, it will let you transfer the upgrade . Your method is correct

Hmm.. from the "My Verizon" screen, I click on "Upgrade My Device". The next screen has me pick the line to upgrade. It then takes me to a screen to pick the phone. I went a few screens through the process and never saw where I could transfer the upgrade to another line.

Trying to understand how to do this online, as it will be my backup plan if things don't go my way in-store tonight.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power