Help with keeping unlimited data! Need those very family with verizon's systems!

jharmon203

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I originally posted this in the sticky "Instructions with keeping unlimited data on verizon". One of the very knowledgeable posters in there, DayThyme, recommended that I post my situation in the overall verizon thread due to it's tricky nature. I copied my post directly from that thread, but I will add a bit to it.

Verizon package: 1400 family share
Line 1 - unlimited data
Line 2 - Tiered 2GB data
Line 3 - Unlimited data
Line 4 - Basic phone
Line 5 - Basic phone

Transferred upgrade from line 1 to line 2. Ordered phone.

I ordered the phone online and had it shipped. I got the phone. I activated it on the 2GB tiered data smartphone line. I made a test call to verizon. I browsed the internet. Then I reactivated the iphone 5 on the tiered data line freeing up the lg g2. I ran into that "pending order" problem. I call verizon, got that fixed, got the iphone 5 back on the original line. However, when I go to activate or switch device, both the unlimited data line and the tiered data line seem to still be tied to the g2. I only have the option to activate the lg g2 on both of those lines:

Image 003.png

I have another unlimited smart phone data line on the account. If I choose that line, I get this usual screen:

Image 5.png

I chatted with verizon and they looked into the issue for a while and then claimed this:

"Found the issue, the phone was to be activated to the original number that it was ordered under first
and then could be used on a different number. We can temporarily make this change for you or if you need to
make a plan or feature change, I can do this for you."

I sure shot that down in a heartbeat and claimed that the account was working correctly when I had it activated on the tiered data line. Btw, I never mentioned anything about keeping unlimited data on my line. Just said the original phone wasn't available to do the activation with.

There reply was the following:

It allowed you to do an esn change to the (#### - last 4 digits of the tiered data line) but the system shows that it was never activated to
the (#### - unlimited data line number) number and since we can't manually change this, the error message pops up online when you try to
do anything.

So I figure I have two options right now, I can try to reactivate the g2 on the tiered data line again. Or, I can wait the 24-48 hours that the reps said it can take for the activation to register. Hopefully one of the two solves the problem.

However, I am posting this as well for any suggestions:)

One last piece of information, if I try to change anything online (change the plan for instance) I am prevented from doing so until the g2 gets activated (which it already has been on the tiered data line).

Let me already extend thanks to anyone willing to take the time to read this post and reply to my situation! Thanks!

Edit: I also would like to add that line 1 shows it's contract extended to 2015. Unlimited data is still on that line.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I wish I could offer help but if the unlimited data line was extended to 2015 you need to make sure it indeed that its unlimited and even have the date reset. As for the activation you should be able to move it back to the line it was purchased on, do a full activation and than move it to the line you want it on. If it glitched up you should be able to try again or you can try and wait the 48 hours. I have never done a family plan so I'm basing this off of when I used my dads upgrade from a separate contract. Still works the same though.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jharmon203

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
if the unlimited data line was extended to 2015 you need to make sure it indeed that its unlimited and even have the date reset.

How do I verify this? When I login to My Verizon, I see the unlimited data still under line 1 with today's date and time. Do I need to chat with a verizon rep to verify?

As for the activation you should be able to move it back to the line it was purchased on, do a full activation and than move it to the line you want it on.

So try to activate it on line 2 again? The tiered data line.

If it glitched up you should be able to try again or you can try and wait the 48 hours.

Know of any cases where the 48 hour wait worked?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
How do I verify this? When I login to My Verizon, I see the unlimited data still under line 1 with today's date and time. Do I need to chat with a verizon rep to verify?

Call the rep to verify. I'd demand the contract is pushed back either way though because you used two upgrades for one at this point.

So try to activate it on line 2 again? The tiered data line.

Yes, activate it on Line 2 and then once activated completely (as in you can make a normal call) switch the device over to the other phone. I had trouble doing this online so I had a phone rep do it.

Know of any cases where the 48 hour wait worked?

No, never even heard of it but I don't the rep made that up.

Read my replies under each of your questions. Didn't realize it would do that and I'm on mobile so editing is more difficult. Sorry about that

jharmon203

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Do you see any issue with trying another activation on the tiered data line and if that doesn't work just wait the 48 hours since the first activation?

Oh, I see your replies in the quote. I just jumped over reading that. My apologies for that. Thanks so much for your valuable time eclipse2K!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Do you see any issue with trying another activation on the tiered data line and if that doesn't work just wait the 48 hours since the first activation?

Oh, I see your replies in the quote. I just jumped over reading that. My apologies for that. Thanks so much for your valuable time eclipse2K!

I always make that mistake when using Tapatalk and I need to settle that. Lol. I did buy my Maxx to replace a Note 2 and had the rep activate the phone on my dads line and then switch it over. I was even able to use the same SIM for both.

jharmon203

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
So you had the rep activate the maxx on your dads line, then reactivated your dad's original phone, then put the phone on your unlimited line all in one session?

I am trying to debate whether or not to try the online way of activation like you see in the first picture, or just to call a rep.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So you had the rep activate the maxx on your dads line, then reactivated your dad's original phone, then put the phone on your unlimited line all in one session?

I am trying to debate whether or not to try the online way of activation like you see in the first picture, or just to call a rep.

Yes, that's correct. The phone had issues though (build quality, not technical) so I had to return it. At that point Verizon Corporate Store gave me a new Maxx and they activated it on my dads line, then on mine and then reactivated my dads line with his phone even though I didn't have his phone with me.

jharmon203

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I solved this myself with a calculated risk! So basically I checked checking the verizon page to see if I could use the activate or switch the devices. Everytime I tried to switch devices on either my line (the unlimited line that transferred the upgrade) or the tiered 2gb data line (the line I used to upgrade the phone), I would only get the option to activate the LG G2 on both of those line. So I decided to try to reactivate the g2 on the tiered data line.

I went through the steps. It say it was activating and then said complete. However, something was rather weird when I got to the end. It gave me the usual screen to either use an existing line I had used previously on the account or use a new line. The odd thing was it showed a picture of the g2, the phone number of the tiered data line, and the description said iPhone 5. So tried the process again with the same results. So I decided to turn on the G2 and see if it saw itself as the tiered data line. I put the SIM card that the phone was originally activated with in and I did a factory reset. At the activation screen, it said it had already activated on the phone number for the tiered data line. However, I couldn't make a call or browse anything on the internet. Keep in mind the iPhone 5 was off this entire time.

Now the G2 had the same size SIM card as my old phone (Droid Razr Maxx). So I decided to try to switch the SIM cards. I did not switch the devices online first because I couldn't. It wanted to activate the G2 on my line first. I put my unlimited data SIM card in, did another factory reset, and when the phone booted up it had the unlimited data number. I could get texts, make calls, browse the internet.

So the next obvious thing to check was unlimited data. I logged in a saw that I still had unlimited data. SWEET! That was yesterday. I logged in today to see that I still have unlimited data. The process worked! Of course with my luck, it didn't go as smoothly as others have voiced but oh well. The G2 is an amazing phone. So much faster than my Razr Maxx.

Sorry this post was so long. I just wanted to be detailed in case anyone else has the same issues that I have. Good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke