1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Contract End Date and Device Upgrade Date

On October 29th I purchased a LG G2, my very first Android device after being a long time iOS user. At that time when checking the contract end date on My Verizon it was 10-29-2015 and the upgrade was the same date After having the phone for about a month I was feeling overwhelmed and really missing iOS. Since I still had my AT&T iPhone, I decided to terminate my contract with Verizon, pay the $340 fee and reactivate the iPhone, porting my number back. However, after 8 days back with the iPhone and AT&T, I felt I was just being a fool and not allowing myself enough time with Android. So I called Verizon to reactivate my LG G2 porting my number back again and having my early termination fee waived. So now when I check my contract end date it states "Month-to-Month", but the early upgrade date is still 10-29-2015. My question is am I really month-to-month and if I decide to cancel I do not have to worry about an early termination fee?

The reason I am asking is I am wondering if it would be possible to activate a second line buying a Moto X, then canceling the first line after moving my number from the LG G2 to the Moto X? I feel the MotoX would have been a better choice for me coming from the iPhone, I am really having a difficult time getting use to the size of the LG and the overwhelming features of the LG software. The MotoX is smaller and more stock which would make the learning curve easier.

Default Re: Contract End Date and Device Upgrade Date

It could be a system glitch. Call Verizon and ask them what the truth is. It's difficult for any of us to tell you what the deal is but it seems like you should be on a contract since you reactivated and waived the ETF.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Apparently once you port your number the contract is automatically terminated. Once a contract is terminated its permanent. Reactivating your account does not bring you back under contract. The waiving of the termination fee is a financial incentive to bring you back by crediting your account, this is not done all the time. Even though I am not under contract I am still not eligible for an upgrade until 10/2015, I guess when the phone is paid off. Not sure if I cancel my line if I would be responsible for paying the phone off, but reading through the letters and documents I received for the reactivation there is nothing about termination fee or paying off a phone. All my previous letters and agreements are no longer listed on My Verizon. I did notice that my previous account was 82xxxxxxx-00001 and now my account states 82xxxxxxx-00002.

So I guess it is viable option to get a second line with MotoX then cancel the first line? I did not want to ask this with the rep.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK1965 View Post
    Apparently once you port your number the contract is automatically terminated. Once a contract is terminated its permanent. Reactivating your account does not bring you back under contract. The waiving of the termination fee is a financial incentive to bring you back by crediting your account, this is not done all the time. Even though I am not under contract I am still not eligible for an upgrade until 10/2015, I guess when the phone is paid off. Not sure if I cancel my line if I would be responsible for paying the phone off, but reading through the letters and documents I received for the reactivation there is nothing about termination fee or paying off a phone. All my previous letters and agreements are no longer listed on My Verizon. I did notice that my previous account was 82xxxxxxx-00001 and now my account states 82xxxxxxx-00002.

So I guess it is viable option to get a second line with MotoX then cancel the first line? I did not want to ask this with the rep.
    Possibly but to me that seems like a gamble. I would think it would extend your contract because of the subsidized phone. If they can't guarantee you'll be under contract for 2 years then why would they give you a discount? Seems like you beat the system one way or another.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Possibly but to me that seems like a gamble. I would think it would extend your contract because of the subsidized phone. If they can't guarantee you'll be under contract for 2 years then why would they give you a discount? Seems like you beat the system one way or another.
    My nephew will talk to one of his friends who is a sales rep at a Verizon store and seek his input. The customer service rep did confirm I am not under contract though. But, either way it is not huge deal, I can easily live with the LG G2 for the next two years. It was just an idea I was bouncing around in my head.
    Thanked by: