Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23242526
Like Tree49Likes

Default Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

Quote Originally Posted by cnotes2019 View Post
    Is the alternate upgrade via best buy the same as with verizon.com?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, it only works through BestBuy.com

So I put my old sim card from my galaxy s3 to the new s5 from best buy to keep unlimited data. Can I sell my old s3 phone with the new sim card or how does that work? Do I throw the new sim card away?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay Dean View Post
    So I put my old sim card from my galaxy s3 to the new s5 from best buy to keep unlimited data. Can I sell my old s3 phone with the new sim card or how does that work? Do I throw the new sim card away?
    Yes throw it away or burn it and sell your s3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who upgraded from a 3g phone without a sim card can you please post your story. I just used the upgrade on a 3g line at BestBuy.com and order the sim from verizon that was shipped. But the acitvation failed. I had to return the phone and I'm waiting for verizon to put UDP back on the account than I will due the process again. It would be helpful if someone that went though this route share their experience.

Quote Originally Posted by pnjabimunda8 View Post
    Anyone who upgraded from a 3g phone without a sim card can you please post your story. I just used the upgrade on a 3g line at BestBuy.com and order the sim from verizon that was shipped. But the acitvation failed. I had to return the phone and I'm waiting for verizon to put UDP back on the account than I will due the process again. It would be helpful if someone that went though this route share their experience.
    You need to get an extra Sim from Verizon and use that Sim card to activate it

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by plim123 View Post
    hey guys - just to give you an update. I finally received my phones from BB last night and was able to get everything up and running. There was only one hitch with the new sim card I ordered from verizon. so here's what i did:

If you're coming from a 3g phone with no sim card (e.g. iPhone 4), or coming from a phone with a different sim card from what your new phone will use (e.g. mini/micro vs nano or mini vs micro), do the following:
    1a) order the new sim card from verizon cs. tell them you're going to buy a used phone and it needs a new/different sim card. confirm that the new sim card they're sending you will have the right plan/UDP. No need to buy one from amazon. VZW will order/ship it 2 day FedEx for free.
    1b) order your new phone from best buy. If you get a warning screen about losing unlimited, it's ok. just make sure on the next screen the option to "Keep Existing Plan" is checked. Take screen shots of every screen and save your order receipt.
    2) when you get the sim card, validate that your plan is listed on the order receipt. do not do anything with this sim card yet (i think if you try to activate the sim card early, your current phone probably won't work anymore - remember the sim card is your account - but not sure what happens with phones w/o a sim card).
    2b) when you get your new phone from best buy, DO NOT TURN ON THE PHONE YET! take out the sim card that comes with the new phone first (this is true for everyone - regardless of sim card ordering)
    3) Call verizon to activate your new sim card. it's a different number (877) 807-4646 - this number comes with the sim card (Activating Your 4G LTE Smartphone | Verizon Wireless). Note, when you dial in, and you put in your phone number, it may give you a different order number. I couldn't match that order number with either the best buy order or my sim card order, so I just ignored it. Instead, I re-dialed and pressed 0 a couple times until it connected me to a rep manually. Explain that you ordered a new/different sim card and have them activate the sim card.
    4) once the new sim card is activated, you can put it directly into your new phone. If the agent is nice, they will stay on the phone with you while you're activated and also validate that your unlimited data stays intact after the activation (mine was!).

If your current sim card is the same as what the new phone uses (usually micro to micro) just do the following:
    1) order your new phone from best buy. If you get a warning screen about losing unlimited, it's ok. just make sure on the next screen the option to "Keep Existing Plan" is checked. Take screen shots of every screen and save your order receipt.
    2) when the phone arrives, DO NOT TURN ON THE PHONE YET! take out the sim card that comes with the new phone.
    3) put the sim card from your old phone into your new phone
    4) turn on the new phone, wait for it activate, then validate that your unlimited data is still intact.

This is probably the safest way to do things. Yes, there is some VZW involvement, and I was a bit worried when activating my sim card that they'd see the best buy order/upgrade, but either they didn't, or the agent didn't care.

can an admin sticky this post?

good luck!
    For those that are upgrading from a 3g phone than you need to follow these steps. I missed one of the step so I went though 19pages to finally find a post that list in detail how to use the bb method when upgrading from a 3g phone without a sim. I missed the activating the sim step and also making sure that the sim that was sent from verizon indeed had udp and made upgrade unsuccessful. I will reorder and follow these steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Profelec View Post
    You need to get an extra Sim from Verizon and use that Sim card to activate it

Posted via Android Central App
    I did order the sim from verizon and I just stuck it into the phone when it arrived. But reading through the thread, I needed to activate the sim before i did that and also make sure that the sim have the udp on it.

I put my ordered sim in and turned on the phone activation failed. So I called verizon customer service, and told them I was having trouble activating. I told the CS rep before I activate I just wanted to make sure I was keeping my UDP, because when I ordered my phone it said I could keep my current plan. I was thinking if I lose my UDP I could return the phone before activating it to Best Buy and keep my current plan. He had me read the number that was on the sim chip (the one I had ordered) and said I would keep my UDP with the activation. He had me put the sim in the phone and walked me thru the activation. Good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dbjos View Post
    I put my ordered sim in and turned on the phone activation failed. So I called verizon customer service, and told them I was having trouble activating. I told the CS rep before I activate I just wanted to make sure I was keeping my UDP, because when I ordered my phone it said I could keep my current plan. I was thinking if I lose my UDP I could return the phone before activating it to Best Buy and keep my current plan. He had me read the number that was on the sim chip (the one I had ordered) and said I would keep my UDP with the activation. He had me put the sim in the phone and walked me thru the activation. Good to go.
    What number did you call? Did they ask you about the phone? Like where you got it from?

What number did you call? Did they ask you about the phone? Like where you got it from?
    If he tells the rep he got the phone as an upgrade then im sure the rep would had taken off the udp.

The key is to say you got the phone from ebay.

I dont remember what number I called he was just a customer service rep. They did not ask me about the phone, which is a S5. I did tell them I had a problem activating the phone, and that I did order it through Best Buy. Like I said from the last post. " I told the CS rep before I activate I just wanted to make sure I was keeping my UDP, because when I ordered my phone it said I could keep my current plan. I was thinking if I lose my UDP I could return the phone before activating it to Best Buy and keep my current plan." Droid3r is probably right I did not tell them it was an upgrade, and they didn't ask.

You can also activate new sim online instead of calling Verizon

I can confirm that this still works. We have four phones on UPD family plan (all unlimited). After many different tries we finally hit on it and got all four phones changed from galaxy S3s to shiny new Galaxy S5s. Just follow the directions and switch the sim cards.
    We kept getting the email about a "problem with the order" fro Best Buy. We called them and canceled those. Initially we got only one to go through. Then we figured out only phone orders on the primary or first line will work. We transferred eligibility one at a time to the primary line and ordered all four phones. We waited for one to ship before ordering the next one. We never got the "problem with the order" email from Best Buy on the phone that was ordered on the primary line. BTW the primary line it turns out was not the same line as the primary account holder. It turns out it was the first phone on that data plan that was activated 5 years ago. If you don't know which one it is, just order a phone on all lines, if one goes through, cancel all the "problem with order" phones and keep transferring the eligibility to that line that worked and order another....and another, until all phones are upgraded. It doesn't matter what phone goes with the swapped old sim card from the old phone.
    it feels good to Screw Verizon after what they did to UDP.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxcraigslist View Post
    You can also activate new sim online instead of calling Verizon
    How? And have you done it?
    Last edited by pnjabimunda8; Today at 05:13 PM.

double post

Quote Originally Posted by smackus View Post
    I can confirm that this still works. We have four phones on UPD family plan (all unlimited). After many different tries we finally hit on it and got all four phones changed from galaxy S3s to shiny new Galaxy S5s. Just follow the directions and switch the sim cards.
    We kept getting the email about a "problem with the order" fro Best Buy. We called them and canceled those. Initially we got only one to go through. Then we figured out only phone orders on the primary or first line will work. We transferred eligibility one at a time to the primary line and ordered all four phones. We waited for one to ship before ordering the next one. We never got the "problem with the order" email from Best Buy on the phone that was ordered on the primary line. BTW the primary line it turns out was not the same line as the primary account holder. It turns out it was the first phone on that data plan that was activated 5 years ago. If you don't know which one it is, just order a phone on all lines, if one goes through, cancel all the "problem with order" phones and keep transferring the eligibility to that line that worked and order another....and another, until all phones are upgraded. It doesn't matter what phone goes with the swapped old sim card from the old phone.
    it feels good to Screw Verizon after what they did to UDP.
    I'm in the same boat as you, at least I was than you hopped on ferry. We also have 4lines all UDP and all available for upgrade. Can you explain what you mean by "It doesn't matter what phone goes with the swapped old sim card from the old phone?" So say I order the phone on the primary line 1 but when it arrives I stick the old sim on any other line besides the line i used the upgrade on it will work?
    Line 1 (Primary) UDP with upgrade
    Line 2 UDP with upgrade
    Line 3 UDP with upgrade
    Line 4 UDP with upgrade
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23242526