[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

hoopster3

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

If I have a RAZR Maxx will I need a sim card cutter for a Note 3?

I'm glad I stumbled upon this site as I was about to lose unlimited data by jumping the gun.

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

If I have a RAZR Maxx will I need a sim card cutter for a Note 3?

If it's the Motorolla Droid Razr Maxx, the original that came out over two years ago and not the newer Droid Maxx, than no. You can use your SIM card that you already have and not have to cut it down to a nano. Both Motorola droid Razr maxx and galaxy note 3 phones take a micro SIM.

hoopster3

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

If it's the Motorolla Droid Razr Maxx, the original that came out over two years ago and not the newer Droid Maxx, than no. You can use your SIM card that you already have and not have to cut it down to a nano. Both Motorola droid Razr maxx and galaxy note 3 phones take a micro SIM.

Thank you! I do have the original RAZR Maxx that came out two years ago.

hoopster3

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

Now I just have to decide if I hop on the Note 3 before this loophole is closed or wait for the Note4 and still hope it's open....

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered...wondering where in the 26 pages I could find this answer:

Question 1:
-- How to upgrade iPhone 4 (not S) to Samsung Galaxy S5?

Details:
-- 2 lines under Family Share Plan 700, unlimited data
-- 1st line (my wife) has iPhone 4 that now qualifies for an upgrade
-- 2nd line (me) has Samsung Galaxy S3 that does NOT qualify for an upgrade until 7/2014
-- I want to buy the subsidized Samsung Galaxy S5 from Best Buy using the iPhone line and eventually swap the S5 with S3

Goal:
-- My wife can continue to use iPhone 4, I can use the new S5 and sell my S3, and we both keep unlimited data

Solution 1:
-- Because iPhone 4 is only 3G based, there is no SIM card
-- I have to purchase a SIM card, activate it under a Verizon account, and use this SIM instead of the SIM that comes with the S5 to activate the S5 (which page in this thread talks about how to do this? I'm not sure where to buy the SIM card or how I can activate it under a Verizon account.)

Solution 2:
-- Could I use the SIM card in my S3 to upgrade the S5, although the S3 line is not eligible for an upgrade?

Solution 3:
-- I could swap our phones now so that line 1 is S3 and line 2 is iPhone 4
-- Then I upgrade the S3 on line 1 to S5 by using the S3 SIM, then switch the phones again so that iPhone is on line 1 and S5 is on line 2.
-- I realize that on the Verizon site, you can "transfer upgrade" from one line to another, but in order to "transfer upgrade," you have to purchase a phone on their website...so this is a no go

Solution 4:
-- Wait until 2nd line (my line) is eligible for an upgrade in 7/2014 and get the S5 then
-- At that time, I can use the SIM in S3 to activate the S5
-- The only concern is, will Best Buy loophole remain in 7/2014?

Question 2:
-- Also, assuming I can upgrade my S3 to S5 now using the Best Buy loophole, will my wife lose unlimited data upgrading her iPhone 4 to iPhone 6 when it comes out later this year? (by that time, line 2 will be eligible for an upgrade, and she can use that to upgrade her phone)
-- I'm planning on using the S5 SIM to activate iPhone 6 (may not work since I eventually need the SIM from S5 back...perhaps we could ask Verizon to send another SIM for the activated iPhone 6...but I'm sure there will be mass confusion why I have 2 relatively new phones activated by the original SIM from S3)

Thanks for your time. :cool:

I think you are thinking way to much about how to get this done. Your situation sounds pretty much the same as mine. See my last long post on the previous page or two.

Simply put without trying to decipher your post, all you have to do is use your wifes upgrade, once you receive the phone swap your sim with the new phone and your golden. Your wifes iPhone has nothing to do with your upgrade, you are only using her line to upgrade. take this info and then read my last step by step post and you'll be fine.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I agree it did get rather confusing so I just ended up posting an up to date step by step for the BB method. You guys can delete it if you need to. Sorry bout that. 100 plus pages and still going strong. GEEZ!

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

Just received my M8. Removed the preinstalled sim. Cut my micro sim to nano using a sim cutter. Popped in the M8 and voila, unlimited data. Gonna watch my plan the next few days to ensure it remains.

hoopster3

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site

Just received my M8. Removed the preinstalled sim. Cut my micro sim to nano using a sim cutter. Popped in the M8 and voila, unlimited data. Gonna watch my plan the next few days to ensure it remains.

Did you still need to call Verizon to activate the phone after you installed the old SIM card?

tottenj

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

Yup, that's all there was to it. I also activated the S5 to other lines on our account and nothing has changed. Right now it's deactivated and the imei is clean. Might actually sell it today, not sure yet.

ykawai19

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I think you are thinking way to much about how to get this done. Your situation sounds pretty much the same as mine. See my last long post on the previous page or two.

Simply put without trying to decipher your post, all you have to do is use your wifes upgrade, once you receive the phone swap your sim with the new phone and your golden. Your wifes iPhone has nothing to do with your upgrade, you are only using her line to upgrade. take this info and then read my last step by step post and you'll be fine.

So basically, it doesnt matter which line the SIM belongs to correct? I can upgrade my wife's phone on line 1 to S5 and use my S3 SIM on line 2. I thought that the SIM had to be from the line you upgrade. If people can use any SIM as long as it belongs to Verizon, then yes, I was way overthinking. Copuld you confirm that you can use any Verizon SIM?

I still don't quite understand the concept of using an old SIM vs. new SIM...

tjrssibelle

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

So basically, it doesnt matter which line the SIM belongs to correct? I can upgrade my wife's phone on line 1 to S5 and use my S3 SIM on line 2. I thought that the SIM had to be from the line you upgrade. If people can use any SIM as long as it belongs to Verizon, then yes, I was way overthinking. Copuld you confirm that you can use any Verizon SIM?

I still don't quite understand the concept of using an old SIM vs. new SIM...

Yes you can use your active SIM in any phone that supports it...if you use the new SIM to activate the phone on your line, you would lose your unlimited data...

Sent from my VERIZON LG G2

ykawai19

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Yes you can use your active SIM in any phone that supports it...if you use the new SIM to activate the phone on your line, you would lose your unlimited data...

So once you activate the new phone with a SIM that's already in use with the current phone, do you have to keep the already activated SIM in the new phone? Because the old phone will now be without a SIM. In the case that you also wanted to use the old phone, then what do you do? Just curious...

ykawai19

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Here is an email I typed up for a friend of mine that I though I would share for those of you that might not want to go back and read all of the previous posts. The below info was bits and pieces I gathered from everything I have read here and other places. I am a skeptic and making sure something like the BB order seems to good to be true but I can say it couldn't have worked any easier and was very surprised how well it worked.

Here was my situation:
The wife and I have UDP's (unlimited data plan). After selecting the phone it pops up the Eligibility screen and gives the warning you mentioned:
"I did go out and look on Best Buy yesterday afternoon and they do have the phone for $150 but it says it is for either a new or extension contract ? and actually says ?if extension, then by-by unlimited??.
Simply click "Check Eligibility" to continue past this screen, no need to worry about this as you are not confirming anything at this point. The next screen will ask for some Verizon info to see if you can upgrade. For me, the wife's line was the only one available to upgrade so I entered her number. Once you confirm you have an upgrade you will be presented with a box that says "keep existing plan", click that. I don't remember each screen but as you progress you will eventually come to a BestBuy.com - Submit Order page.

You will see that it clearly says "keep existing plan" and "keep my existing data plan". I confirmed and placed the order. Once that finalized I then went Verizon's website. Sure enough it still said unlimited data on her line as well as unlimited texting. BUT, I clicked on "View contract end date" and it did not show an extended 2 year contract. Hummmmm, I got a little worried so I checked it several times the next couple hours. About two hours later sure enough the contract was extended through 2016 and I scrolled down and sure enough it still showed unlimited data on her line as well as unlimited texting. As of today it still shows it and at this point I don't see how they could go into your account and change this as this glitch has everything to do with BB. We are actually not doing anything wrong at all. And if for some reason Verizon threatens people that use this route all we have to do is play dumb but even then we would need to do that as I simply followed the steps that have been laid out by many others to make this glitch work.

There are some things you must follow in order for this to work seamlessly:
1. YOU MUST ORDER IT ONLINE AND HAVE IT DELIVERED TO YOUR HOUSE. DO NOT PICK IT UP AT A STORE AS THEY WILL ACTIVATE THE PHONE WITH THE CURRENT SIM CARD IT COMES PREINSTALLED WITH. THIS WILL IN TURN CHANGE YOUR DATA PLAN.

2. MAKE SURE YOUR BILLING ADDRESS AND DELIVERY ADDRESS ARE THE SAME.

3. YOU MUST BE PRESENT TO SIGN FOR IT. BB DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO PICK IT UP AT THE ORIGINATING DELIVERY FACILITY. For me this was an issue as I couldn't be there to sign for it. I was able to call UPS and have them extend my delivery time to later in the day. Once you receive a notification that your package is out for deliver, call UPS and ask them if they can deliver it later in the day to accommodate your schedule. A signee does not have to be 21. You can also go to UPS tracking where it gives you and option to leave it on the front porch. I went ahead and did that but honestly I don't think it would have matter since BB has to have a signature. I made the note anyways.

4. DO NOT GET BB AND OR VERIZON INVOLVED IN ANYWAY VIA PHONE CALL. If for some reason there is a discrepancy with your order, possibly still owe money to Verizon for a late bill (this is only an example I have seen on forums) then you will be notified to call BB. If this happens cancel the order and figure out what the issue is. Once that is figured out then retry your order, possible a week or more from the time your issue was resolved.

5. ONCE YOU RECEIVE YOU PHONE IN THE MAIL DO NOT TURN THE PHONE ON. REMOVE THE PREINSTALLED SIM CARD IMMEDIATELY
Trim your existing sim card in your current phone (the phone you have been using) according to templates you can download and print for the internet. Once placed in your new phone turn it on. You will be presented with a Verizon load screen. This screen will be on for several minutes. The next screen should say something to the effect, This sim card has already been activated, along with your phone number that will be displayed in the screen. You should see 4G pop up and you should be good to go! Have someone call you and text you just to confirm everything is working.

Trimming down a sim card:
Here is some good info to read about trimming a sim card. Not sure what size your current one is but moving from a micro sim that was in my Samsung S3 to a nano wasn't to terribly bad although tedious. Just take your time and make the appropriate adjustments and it will turn out just fine:
How to trim your SIM to iPhone 5 nano-SIM size - CNET

One more thing, don't get intimidated by all the info above, it really couldn?t be any easier. Good Luck!

Multiple websites state that the SIM card size for S5 is micro, which is the same as a S3. From your post, it looks like you had to trim your S3 micro SIM to a nano size. Is it truly a nano sized slot in the S5? For those of us who are not comfortable cutting a SIM, how do you purchase a nano SIM via Amazon and "activate it through Verizon website?"

ykawai19

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Multiple websites state that the SIM card size for S5 is micro, which is the same as a S3. From one of the previous posts, it looks like people had to trim the S3 micro SIM to a nano size. Is it truly a nano sized slot in the S5? For those of us who are not comfortable cutting a SIM, how do you purchase a nano SIM via Amazon and "activate it through Verizon website?"

Could you alternatively purchase a Verizon nano SIM and an adapter to make nano a micro SIM, put it in the S3 to activate it, then use it to activate the S5? This will hopefully bypass this "activating through Verizon website" step.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

I can assure you that my new M8 was never activated on the line I upgraded and I am having no issues what so ever using my trimmed down sim card. I have also read the the S3 micro sim and the S5 are the same size. Anyone confirm that? And I also have read there are adaptors for a nano sim to micro sim. Just google that and see what comes up.

ykawai19

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

So whichever line the SIM card belonged to, that's the line that the S5 got activated on? So if I use my wife's line to get a new device but use my SIM card on a different line, the S5 will get activated on my line and not my wife's line. Is that basically what you're saying?

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

So whichever line the SIM card belonged to, that's the line that the S5 got activated on? So if I use my wife's line to get a new device but use my SIM card on a different line, the S5 will get activated on my line and not my wife's line. Is that basically what you're saying?

Sim cards hold that lines information so in your case it has your number associated with it along with additional info. You would not be using your sim card on a different line, you are using a different phone on your line/sim cards line. Your line and sim card are one in the same.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance