[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

I'm afraid to cut the sim card. What if I mess it up, will Verizon give me a new one for my T-Bolt? I'm going to Radio Shack or Walmart before work and see if they have one of those adapter kits before I go hacking this thing. I also don't have a screen protector or case for the S5 so I don't want it banging around in my pocket all night unprotected.

I haven't turned on the S5. After I cut the sim card, I just put it in the S5 and turn it on? Verizon site still shows my old phone and unlimited data, but has had contract date of 4/20/2016, two years from the day I ordered the phone.

They should give you a new SIM if something happens. Getting an adapter kit wouldn't really do you any good since you need a smaller SIM than the one that is currently active. Though you could still get one to use the smaller SIM in the T-Bolt or something.

Once you get the proper-sized SIM, just put it in and it'll activate when it turns on.

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks everyone for your replies. I would just like the adaptor so if for some reason I need to use the T-Bolt again, (S5 lost or damaged, whatever, I have it.)

Nanoject

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

Tried the Best Buy way to get a Galaxy S5. When I get to the Verification for an upgrade I enter my info and password. The response I get is: "
Looks like your Verizon account is password protected. Please enter your Verizon account password below to continue". I do it again and I get the same response. I went to verizon.net and logged in using the password I used on the Best Buy site and I was logged onto my account. Went back to the tab in my browser and tried to log in again and got the same response. Tried Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers. Seems like Verizon has found a way to block this UDP go around. Anyone else have this problem? Tried it at 6:30 am on 23 April 2014.

Thanks talltubatom. That info got me further along the ordering process. Went online at verizon.net and had a chat with them and got a new PIN. Got to the ordering page and completed that next took me to account verification page. Filled in that info. At the bottom was the Plans Terms and Conditions and the Customer Agreement. When you scroll to the bottom of the Customer Agreement there is a yellow backround that says "
I have read and agree to the carrier’s Customer Agreement. View printable version.
You must scroll through the entire agreement before checking this box."
Did that but the checkbox still remained grayed out and so did the tile below labeled Send to Carrier. Tried Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome with the same results. Also wireless (different ISP) and wired LAN. Never had this problem before ordering from ebay or Amazon or others. Will try next the Droid Razr. Any ideas anyone?

Gibby_22

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Quick question on this...

I have 3 lines w/upgrades available & I ordered one for line 3 last night to give this a try! I noticed today that that line now has a new end date of 2016, so far so good. My question is, I actually want to use this phone on my line 1...? So, when it arrives, do I have to first activate it using the SIM card from the original upgraded line 3, or can I just insert the SIM card from my line 1 phone & be good to go... Hope this makes sense... Thanks in advance!!

Nanoject

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Thanks talltubatom. That info got me further along the ordering process. Went online at verizon.net and had a chat with them and got a new PIN. Got to the ordering page and completed that next took me to account verification page. Filled in that info. At the bottom was the Plans Terms and Conditions and the Customer Agreement. When you scroll to the bottom of the Customer Agreement there is a yellow backround that says "
I have read and agree to the carrier’s Customer Agreement. View printable version.
You must scroll through the entire agreement before checking this box."
Did that but the checkbox still remained grayed out and so did the tile below labeled Send to Carrier. Tried Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome with the same results. Also wireless (different ISP) and wired LAN. Never had this problem before ordering from ebay or Amazon or others. Will try next the Droid Razr. Any ideas anyone?

Finally figured it out. Using a Windows 7 Ultimate, I7 cpu, 1080i display. Hit ctr minus (-) key twice and reduced the size of the screen and low and behold the check box was no longer grayed out. Don't know why this mattered, never did before for any other website, never changed default settings. But checked the box and clicked the send to carrier. Completed the sale and have a ship date between 27 April to May 7. Took the free shipping. Thank for listening and the help received here. Hope this might help someone else.

kgkgkgkgkg

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

I am currently on an individual plan with udp. The contract will end in July. Is there anyway I can catch the wave and renew my udp for another year? I tried to add a dumb phone to my line on Verizonwireless.com, but it immediately asks me to move to a shared plan. Thank you!

darin_n

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I have one UPD on a 5 line account. Would it work to ask to keep the UDP or tell them all 5 lines will be moving to <insert new carrier here>?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I have one UPD on a 5 line account. Would it work to ask to keep the UDP or tell them all 5 lines will be moving to <insert new carrier here>?

If you have an upgrade available on one of the non UDP lines you can use it to get a new phone and then transfer the phone to the UDP line. You will then keep the unlimited data.

darin_n

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Sounds good but I don't want to inconvenience my daughter. The upgrade is on her line. Here's how the lines are setup right now:

Mine: UDP*
Line 2: 2GB DP*
Line 3: 2GB DP*
Line 4: 2GB DP**
Line 5: dumb phone*

* No Upgrade
** Upgrade available

Gibby_22

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Quick question on this...

I have 3 lines w/upgrades available & I ordered one for line 3 last night to give this a try! I noticed today that that line now has a new end date of 2016, so far so good. My question is, I actually want to use this phone on my line 1...? So, when it arrives, do I have to first activate it using the SIM card from the original upgraded line 3, or can I just insert the SIM card from my line 1 phone & be good to go... Hope this makes sense... Thanks in advance!!

Just to provide more info... All 3 Lines are ALL UDP

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Sounds good but I don't want to inconvenience my daughter. The upgrade is on her line. Here's how the lines are setup right now:

Mine: UDP*
Line 2: 2GB DP*
Line 3: 2GB DP*
Line 4: 2GB DP**
Line 5: dumb phone*

* No Upgrade
** Upgrade available

Won't inconvenience her. Just use the upgrade to order the phone online on her line. When it comes take the SIM from your phone on the UDP and put it in the new phone (assuming they use the same size SIM). You don't even have to have her phone in your possession, won't interrupt service or anything.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Can anyone help me and tell me if I can use bogo with one upgrade available

1 unlimited with upgrade

1 basic

1 basic

want to use bogo to upgrade mu unlimted but keep it unlimited and also upgrade basic to a smartphone for wife with regular data plan. Thank you for any help.

I don't think if the two basic phones are still under a 2 year contract then it won't be possible to use BOGO. I think at least one has to be past the 2 year contract.

darin_n

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

Won't inconvenience her. Just use the upgrade to order the phone online on her line. When it comes take the SIM from your phone on the UDP and put it in the new phone (assuming they use the same size SIM). You don't even have to have her phone in your possession, won't interrupt service or anything.

Cool. Thanks a lot for the info. I'm pretty sure the SIM card is a different size. My current phone is a Samsung Droid Charge which uses the micro. Most current phones use the nano.

tjrssibelle

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

I took the plunge and ordered through Best Buy today. I read this entire thread. I hope it all goes well. Here's my (hopefully short) story. I early adopted the Thunderbolt the day it released and have not made an official upgrade since. My Thunderbolt was plagued with problems and Verizon ended up sending me a refurb Rezound. I've been going through my family's hand-me-downs, a Galaxy Nexus which I loved but awful battery life, and my now current Razr Maxx. It's a shame we have to go to these lengths because I truly need the unlimited, I live in a rural area where I use my phone for 4G internet most of the time. Money is tight, this Razr Maxx is getting very sluggish (been on stock, safestrapped, rooted, rommed), and I'm pretty much stuck on Verizon based on coverage and my old, company discounted, legacy plan. I went for the $1 plus free shipping LG G2. It was a difficult choice between that and the Moto X. So, thanks everyone, I'll report back.

The G2 is an awesome phone...just got upgraded to kit Kat earlier this week...

Sent from my VERIZON LG G2

UDP

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

So I guess I'm out on this work around. I canceled my first order due to a pre-activation failure, and I received another "there is a problem with your mobile order..." email from BB for my re-order.

Does anyone know if transferring a UDP phone upgrade to a capped data line then switching the phone back to the UDP still works?

ykawai19

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

My S5 from Best Buy arrived today. Have not tried putting my SIM from S3 yet, but when I do, I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime, My Verizon shows contract extension to 2016 on the upgraded line but still with unlimited data : )

Now that I've been hearing about LG G3, I'm debating whether to wait for the G3 vs. activating the S5. If G3 does not have removable battery, I'm sticking with the S5. Has anyone ever tried returning a Best Buy phone before or after activation?

24kBlondi

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site

Im SO excited I found this thread! I was so upset at Verizon and have been stuck with this pos phone forever it seems. I was just about to switch to MetroPCS (Yea...Yea...I know!)and someone told me they heard about keeping my UDP. One Google search later and viola! Although I thought maybe I had missed the boat but nope, everything went smooth on BB.com and my account still shows UDP!
Thanks to everyone who posted here my new M8 should be here tomorrow and I cant wait!!!!.

Thank you again everyone! Pfffffffft Verizon! :)

minidre

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Do you still have the Galaxy Nexus? If so, give it to her and have her get a SIM card from a Verizon store for it and activate it. Then she now has a 4g/LTE SIM card that is compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S5.

Another question, could I use the sim card that came with my S5 that i did not use? or would verizon have to give one of their own for her to transfer onto my old nexus before her new S5

dogswind

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

I'm thinking of trying this today. Almost swapped to T-Mobile yesterday in a desperate attempt to get a new phone with unlimited data. Was scared of coverage, though.

Question.. My phone has a nano sim, and I want to get the S5. Is there any kind of trick to make a nano sim stay put in the larger slot?? Not sure how to go about that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital