[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Does this still work? As long as you don't activate the phone bought on that line you keep unlimited?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

I know this sounds stupid but you dont know unless you ask. Will this work if you order from VerizonWireless.com? It is my wifes upgrade time and I'm using it to get the S5, she dosent want to loose her Iphone. She dosent have the unlimited plan but I still do. I need to keep it because I'm a photographer and do alot of networking on my phone. I'm using the web site because I add it to my next bill. Any answers would be great. Thanks a bunch.

If your wife has a measured data line and an upgrade available sure you can use her upgrade to order a S5. When it comes activate it on your UDP line if your current UDP phone has a Verizon 4G micro-SIM just put that SIM in the new S5 and your set, you'll have that new S5 or your line still with UDP and you're wife's phone and plan won't be disturbed. The contract on your wife's line will be extended 2 years.

nathanschultz6317

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

If your wife has a measured data line and an upgrade available sure you can use her upgrade to order a S5. When it comes activate it on your UDP line if your current UDP phone has a Verizon 4G micro-SIM just put that SIM in the new S5 and your set, you'll have that new S5 or your line still with UDP and you're wife's phone and plan won't be disturbed. The contract on your wife's line will be extended 2 years.

Thank you very much dss2000. I have the Droid Razr so this will work great. Quick Robin, TO THE INTER WEB!!!!!!!!!!

LionelHutz590

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

I guess that's a possibility (I think I have a 23% discount), but if that's the reason, they didn't mention it to me.

Just got notice that the phone shipped today. Since my UDP was reinstated on the Verizon website, anyone think I SHOULD keep the phone and just swap out the SIM card? Or should I not tempt fate again and just refuse delivery?

plainbum

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

Can some please help explain how to do this with a line that doent have a sim card like my daughters Droid RAZR . I have 5 line(3 UDP) and I surely don't want to lose them.
Thanks for any help!

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Can some please help explain how to do this with a line that doent have a sim card like my daughters Droid RAZR . I have 5 line(3 UDP) and I surely don't want to lose them.
Thanks for any help!

The Droid RAZR should have a SIM card in it. But really in order to walk you through your specific case, you would need to list off which lines have upgrades available.

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

The Droid RAZR should have a SIM card in it. But really in order to walk you through your specific case, you would need to list off which lines have upgrades available.

I need clarification also but so correct me if I'm wrong. From what I read it doesn't matter what type of service your lines have as long as it has an upgrade. I have 3 lines all with UDP and with upgrade so basically if I want to upgrade 2 phones I just use the upgrades off UDP line 1 and UDP line 2 but when I receive phone activate UDP line 1 phone on UDP line 2 and vice versa? (all while ignoring the sim that came with it)

If I'm wrong here let me know. Thanks!

plim123

May 6, 2014
Visit site

hey guys - just to give you an update. I finally received my phones from BB last night and was able to get everything up and running. There was only one hitch with the new sim card I ordered from verizon. so here's what i did:

If you're coming from a 3g phone with no sim card (e.g. iPhone 4), or coming from a phone with a different sim card from what your new phone will use (e.g. mini/micro vs nano or mini vs micro), do the following:
1a) order the new sim card from verizon cs. tell them you're going to buy a used phone and it needs a new/different sim card. confirm that the new sim card they're sending you will have the right plan/UDP. No need to buy one from amazon. VZW will order/ship it 2 day FedEx for free.
1b) order your new phone from best buy. If you get a warning screen about losing unlimited, it's ok. just make sure on the next screen the option to "Keep Existing Plan" is checked. Take screen shots of every screen and save your order receipt.
2) when you get the sim card, validate that your plan is listed on the order receipt. do not do anything with this sim card yet (i think if you try to activate the sim card early, your current phone probably won't work anymore - remember the sim card is your account - but not sure what happens with phones w/o a sim card).
2b) when you get your new phone from best buy, DO NOT TURN ON THE PHONE YET! take out the sim card that comes with the new phone first (this is true for everyone - regardless of sim card ordering)
3) Call verizon to activate your new sim card. it's a different number (877) 807-4646 - this number comes with the sim card (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...how-to-activate-4g-smartphone/&token=DAeDpx6o). Note, when you dial in, and you put in your phone number, it may give you a different order number. I couldn't match that order number with either the best buy order or my sim card order, so I just ignored it. Instead, I re-dialed and pressed 0 a couple times until it connected me to a rep manually. Explain that you ordered a new/different sim card and have them activate the sim card.
4) once the new sim card is activated, you can put it directly into your new phone. If the agent is nice, they will stay on the phone with you while you're activated and also validate that your unlimited data stays intact after the activation (mine was!).

If your current sim card is the same as what the new phone uses (usually micro to micro) just do the following:
1) order your new phone from best buy. If you get a warning screen about losing unlimited, it's ok. just make sure on the next screen the option to "Keep Existing Plan" is checked. Take screen shots of every screen and save your order receipt.
2) when the phone arrives, DO NOT TURN ON THE PHONE YET! take out the sim card that comes with the new phone.
3) put the sim card from your old phone into your new phone
4) turn on the new phone, wait for it activate, then validate that your unlimited data is still intact.

This is probably the safest way to do things. Yes, there is some VZW involvement, and I was a bit worried when activating my sim card that they'd see the best buy order/upgrade, but either they didn't, or the agent didn't care.

can an admin sticky this post?

good luck!

Last edited:

plim123

May 6, 2014
Visit site

Do you have any update? I am in the exact same boat as you. My wife has a iphone 4s which only has a 3g sim card it, so I ordered a new micro 4G sim card from verizon. I also order a new S5 from best buy mobile. Here's the scary part, I received an email from Best Buy saying that there's a problem with my order and that I need to call them back. The rep I talked to said it there was a problem with the code that was transmitted to Verizon and said that it didn't match with Verizon's system. I am really worried about this and that they might have caught on to this. Did any one get this? I placed my order on May 8th. I didn't have the same problem with my main phone that I tried to upgrade.

I am thinking if I get my wife's new phone shipped I shouldn't take the chance of putting that new verizon sim card I ordered first and try installing on the my old rezound first. If that works and my wife's data plan stays unlimited then I would just switch it to the new S5. Did anyone try this and did it work successfully?

Also, down the road my biggest fear is that Verizon would do some sort of audit or sweep and find out about this and automatically change our plan but at that point it will be too late for us to return anything since it will way past the 15 days. Does anyone else have the same fears?

I have yet to successfully active with one, but I ordered a SIM from VZW over the phone, they ship 2-day air, costs $0. They can supposedly do in the store as well.
This is because my 3G phone has no SIM, and I told them I was purchasing a 4G phone (with nanoSIM!) from a coworker, and needed a SIM for my account to make it work.

Still waiting for a response on post # 412 above to see if it's even worth it anymore though or if this deal is now dead?

hey guys - see my update right above (post 462). everything worked! Hope it works for you.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

I need clarification also but so correct me if I'm wrong. From what I read it doesn't matter what type of service your lines have as long as it has an upgrade. I have 3 lines all with UDP and with upgrade so basically if I want to upgrade 2 phones I just use the upgrades off UDP line 1 and UDP line 2 but when I receive phone activate UDP line 1 phone on UDP line 2 and vice versa? (all while ignoring the sim that came with it)

If I'm wrong here let me know. Thanks!

Most of the establish method described in this thread involve transferring the upgrade to a basic phone or measured data phone and then ordering the upgrade and then putting it on the UDP line. But we've found that if you never actually activate the upgrade on that line the plan you select eventually falls off and never goes into effect. So with that premise FlyingArrow (see link below) ordered the phone and just activated it on the other line which for them worked. I can see how it would since the plan never goes into effect because the phone wasn't activated on that line. But that is one example and word of caution, that method is new and mileage may vary. You'd probably go that route if all your lines are all UDP and you don't have a basic or measured line to run it through and you didn't want to add a third line. Since transferring/upgrading through a basic/measured line is more established I'd do that if if you can.

FlyingArrows post:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/227608-instruction-how-keep-unlimited-data-verizon-114.html#post3637419

plainbum

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for your help!
All lines are out of contract . ready for two year upgrades.
Family plan on 1700 minutes
Unlimited text $30/month
18% gov employee discount

Line 1: udp - note 2 - Prime owner
Line 2: udp - IPhone 4$ Wifey
Line 3: udp - Droid Razr. Oldest daughter, dying for a new M8 or S5. Hasn't decided yet
Line 4: 2gb Ipone4$ youngest daughter says she might be getting her own plan with her BF
Lines: cellphone vx8300 Mother in law
Thanks again!
By the way: Vzw.com has $99 phones whereas Best buy has them for $199. Is it possible to get this done on vzw.com or Costco maybe.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for your help!
Unlimited text $30/month

Line 3: udp - Droid Razr. Oldest daughter, dying for a new M8 or S5. Hasn't decided yet
Line 4: 2gb Ipone4$ youngest daughter says she might be getting her own plan with her BF
Thanks again!
By the way: Vzw.com has $99 phones whereas Best buy has them for $199. Is it possible to get this done on vzw.com or Costco maybe.

If all lines are out of contract, and it looks like your oldest daughter is the only one really wanting to upgrade, you could just use the Basic Line upgrade to get the phone for her.

How many upgrades are you looking to do? Just the one or multiple?

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for your help!
Unlimited text $30/month

Thanks again!

Yes, agree with raichur0xx0rz, just order a phone using the Mother in law line and activated it on Line 3. If you're planning to remove Line 4 your youngest daughter you might not want to use that upgrade because it will extend the contract for another 2 years.

plainbum

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

I would like to upgrade line 3 immediately. Then line 2 when the iPhone 6 comes out. Then I'll grab a new one after that.

Last edited:

Masx

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Most of the establish method described in this thread involve transferring the upgrade to a basic phone or measured data phone and then ordering the upgrade and then putting it on the UDP line. But we've found that if you never actually activate the upgrade on that line the plan you select eventually falls off and never goes into effect. So with that premise FlyingArrow (see link below) ordered the phone and just activated it on the other line which for them worked. I can see how it would since the plan never goes into effect because the phone wasn't activated on that line. But that is one example and word of caution, that method is new and mileage may vary. You'd probably go that route if all your lines are all UDP and you don't have a basic or measured line to run it through and you didn't want to add a third line. Since transferring/upgrading through a basic/measured line is more established I'd do that if if you can.

FlyingArrows post:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/227608-instruction-how-keep-unlimited-data-verizon-114.html#post3637419

Ah I see, appreciate the explanation. On one hand I want to try it, but since not many people have done this and posted results I'm a bit wary. I'll post results here if I decide to go through with it.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Ah I see, appreciate the explanation. On one hand I want to try it, but since not many people have done this and posted results I'm a bit wary. I'll post results here if I decide to go through with it.

Yes thanks, if you go that route post your results to help build up our knowledge base. On the Best Buy thread there is a lot of info on that method you might want to check out if you want to try that method.

plainbum

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

Yes, agree with raichur0xx0rz, just order a phone using the Mother in law line and activated it on Line 3. If you're planning to remove Line 4 your youngest daughter you might not want to use that upgrade because it will extend the contract for another 2 years.
I want to upgrade lines 3,2,1 in that order.
Does an IPhone 4s have a sim?

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I want to upgrade lines 3,2,1 in that order.
Does an IPhone 4s have a sim?
No, the 4s does not have a SIM card in it. Supposedly if you transfer your upgrade from a UDP line to another line, your UDP will stick, but I haven't personally tried it and there are a handful of testimonies using that method. If you go that route, as long as you are transferring the upgrades then you don't really need to worry about losing UDP, but I would wait for someone who has done it (Transfer UDP upgrade to another UDP Line) to pitch in.

You will be fine to use the basic phone line's upgrade for Phone Line 3, however.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2